Sponsored

What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Good news is it's replaceable. We all make mistakes!
Yes. Don't feel so bad.

Did you get a bad torque spec somewhere or set the wrench wrong?
Sponsored

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Yes. Don't feel so bad.

Did you get a bad torque spec somewhere or set the wrench wrong?
I set my wrench horribly wrong. It never clicked, and this bolt broke instead. I've looked over all the parts diagrams, this truly is a part that shouldn't need to be replaced if worked on properly.

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 401a RIP
I set my wrench horribly wrong. It never clicked, and this bolt broke instead. I've looked over all the parts diagrams, this truly is a part that shouldn't need to be replaced if worked on properly.
http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...nents-and-rails-scat/?part_number=fr3z16a200a

I'm trying to find the bolt for you. I believe the nut is on there, maybe with a little more digging we can find the bolt, or you could just buy one from a hardware store? Surely it's not like FORD engineered the bolt haha, so a similar sized one SHOULD work, no?

grandsammy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 2
Hello Guys,

I'm planing to get my calipers powder coated but the guy from the shop told me that I may need to get new seals for my Brembo... I went to the ford dealer and they don't carry those... Does anybody have a link or part number that I can look into it...

I have the performance package with the Brembo at front...

Thanks... RJ

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...nents-and-rails-scat/?part_number=fr3z16a200a

I'm trying to find the bolt for you. I believe the nut is on there, maybe with a little more digging we can find the bolt, or you could just buy one from a hardware store? Surely it's not like FORD engineered the bolt haha, so a similar sized one SHOULD work, no?
The bolt I broke is similar to this. The entire bolt/stud was pressed in from the bottom and not the top and holds the shock tower to some other bits I think. From taking off the wheel and looking underneath, this is something that wasn't meant to be replaced by a person like me.

Theoretically replacing it with a regular threaded bolt would work, but again since this is a part not originally screwed together from the bottom, lord knows how tight I'd have to tighten it from underneath and on top to make sure nothing rattles or comes loose.

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

Problem is I believe that the shock tower is welded to the frame and then painted body color.

It also looks to run behind the fender. Wont be a cheap fix.

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Hello Guys,

I'm planing to get my calipers powder coated but the guy from the shop told me that I may need to get new seals for my Brembo... I went to the ford dealer and they don't carry those... Does anybody have a link or part number that I can look into it...

I have the performance package with the Brembo at front...

Thanks... RJ
rockauto.com >FORD >2015 >MUSTANG >5.0L V8 >Brake & Wheel Hub >Caliper Repair Kit >CARLSON 15416 $7.61/each

this what you're looking for?

maddawg57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Premium PP GT
Drill it out and use a bolt and don't sweat it . Paint it to match others and you n all us following this thread will be the only ones to know! Get the wife to set your torque wrench for you from now on lol.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Problem is I believe that the shock tower is welded to the frame and then painted body color.

It also looks to run behind the fender. Wont be a cheap fix.
This is why I'm hating myself so much for this one moment of stupidity. If it was a strut mount bolt I'd have no problems fixing that, but this isn't one of those. It's worse. :(

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Drill it out and use a bolt and don't sweat it . Paint it to match others and you n all us following this thread will be the only ones to know! Get the wife to set your torque wrench for you from now on lol.
I'm 21....I've no wife or girlfriend to speak of. Only me and my cars.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 21....I've no wife or girlfriend to speak of. Only me and my cars.
Nothing wrong with that.............

Get a few nice sharp drill bits and do what was maddawg mentioned.
Maybe a nice ARP head stud with top and bottom bolts.

grandsammy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 2
rockauto.com >FORD >2015 >MUSTANG >5.0L V8 >Brake & Wheel Hub >Caliper Repair Kit >CARLSON 15416 $7.61/each

this what you're looking for?
You are a life saver.. Thanks... Yes it is...

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
The bolt I broke is similar to this. The entire bolt/stud was pressed in from the bottom and not the top and holds the shock tower to some other bits I think. From taking off the wheel and looking underneath, this is something that wasn't meant to be replaced by a person like me.

Theoretically replacing it with a regular threaded bolt would work, but again since this is a part not originally screwed together from the bottom, lord knows how tight I'd have to tighten it from underneath and on top to make sure nothing rattles or comes loose.
It's like a wheel stud and not as bad as you think, several people have broken those off. Get a punch/hammer and pound the broken stud out of the hole toward the wheel well. You can then take the broken bits to the dealership if you can't find the part number. Take the wheel off, strut and spring out, then fish the new one in and tap it in with the hammer (and punch if you cant get the hammer in there) or air hammer. Use vice grips and another set of hands on top to try and keep it vertical as you hammer. Once it's seated in there tap it into place until fully seated or go up top and put the nut back on.

If you can't get it fully seated from the bottom try tightening the top nut with the strut brace in between which should pull it up the last bit of the way so it's seated properly. Worst case scenario take it to someone with the right tools and get charged an hour or two of labor for removal/replacements.

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
I did the same damned thing! But the top of my broken stud is ruby red, not grabber blue... I've read on here about drilling it out and going with a regular bolt from underneath...

Don't ask how, I was a dumbass with a torque wrench today with my strut tower brace...:frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

I can't fix this. There's just no way to fix this. I haven't hated myself in a long while until this. :(

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Is there any way to do this without removing the strut at all?? I just got an alignment today too. :(
Sponsored