corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I've been driving for over 30 years and have had two catastrophic blowouts during that time, both in less than great circumstances. And quite a few flats otherwise.

I'd rather have a spare and be on my way in minutes than being stranded.
This ↑↑↑ . . . times something like 1.5 or so.

As long as I can physically change to the spare myself, that's the way I'll have it. Chances are I'll get it changed, the trunk re-packed, and be on my way again before a flatbed could be expected to even show up.

My last flat that wasn't a repairable puncture ended up . . . well, ten or eleven years later I still have the smaller piece in the picture below as a souvenir. In the semi-light right around dawn I wasn't going to stop on a bridge, or on a curve with no breakdown lane, or in a tunnel to change it (big sidewall cut, so the tire was ruined anyway, wheel was fine). I was headed for an autocross, and the trunk (1979 Chevy Malibu) was full. Had two spares, just in case I flatted a tire during a run.

picture.jpg

It was hanging onto the rest of the tire by literally only a few threads.

Norm
Sponsored

Mr. G

Ira
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost premium convertible oxford white
contacted a Ford dealer on Ebay that sells the spare tire kit for $220, and asked about the 20" issue. here's the response. looks like it shouldn't be an issue.
Hi,
I know of customers who use this with the 20" wheel option.
Not sure why Ford states that but we include all their recommendations in our listings.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Does that $220 include shipping?

Last edited:

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Has anyone with 20's actually bought and had to use the OEM spare? I'm getting ready to order the spare tire kit even though Ford claims it shouldn't be used with the "summer only" tires. Just wondering if anyone had any problems.

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
I havent mounted it but noticed it is slightly shorter in height so in case of a rear tire failure I would mount the spare in the front and move the front to the rear. The reason being I would not want to damage the limited slip differential.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
I don't think a slight difference will hurt. The other tire will be repaired or replaced in due time anyway. The LSD sees differences all of the time when the car is turning.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Several people have mentioned the LSD, but isn't it the same one as would come in the car if you ordered 18" wheels? Apparently there isn't a problem using the spare in that case. Other than the All-Season / Summer-Only difference, (which is stupid, BTW) no one has come up with why Ford doesn't offer the spare with the 20's.

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
the lsd issue has been discussed ad nauseam... its already been settled what effect, IF ANY, would be incurred if using differential/stagger tire sizing.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I don't think a slight difference will hurt. The other tire will be repaired or replaced in due time anyway. The LSD sees differences all of the time when the car is turning.
How much is slight? Anything greater than 3% could mess with ABS also. I would not use the little spare on the rear. I'd rather get a full size one eventually.

Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
the spare at 155/60x18 is 25.32" in diameter
the road wheel at 265/35x20 is 27.3" in diameter
a 2" difference

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Finishing the math, I get 7% diff. Not even sure why they chose this size of tire for a spare kit.
A 145/80R18 Spare Tire would be 27.1 X 5.7 and much closer a fit.
Sponsored