Sponsored

Autocross Setups

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
At our test and tune this weekend we have a guy that is going to A B A brand new RE71-R's and brand new RS-4's. I will be watching his results closely.
Sponsored

CasualGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE & 2013 Focus ST
At our test and tune this weekend we have a guy that is going to A B A brand new RE71-R's and brand new RS-4's. I will be watching his results closely.
Please post the results here, as I'm really interested to hear how this plays out.

OP
OP
nastang87xx

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Please do post results! Very interested to see how they do. My understanding the biggest improvement is outer tread block grip and a super stiff side wall.

FleetofFords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350, '16 F150, '92 F150, '69 Mustang
Do you know what class it will put me in if I run aftermarket wheels (specs of the R) with Hoosier A7s?

My GT350 is stock except for the track alignment and Schroth Harness.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I'm looking at tires here and I'm having second thoughts on 71R's. The new Hankook R-S4 might be a ringer .
I think The hankooks compete well with the Bridgestones. I was all set on rs3 v2s after riding in my friends camaro on the course but last min got the re-11s because of the price.

Sponsored

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
JP, first points race with NNJR SCCA March 25th at the Meadowlands
Can't do the 25th, but actually doing the 26th with motor sports NE in a different lot. These guys design the course a little differently and I always seem to get more runs than with the SCCA events. Not really going for points since I'm pretty slow lol so mostly going for fun...

I'm definitely going to try to do either April 2 or 9 at Tobay with PCA and NYR, always wanted to run there.

Reactions: TDC
OP
OP
nastang87xx

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Do you know what class it will put me in if I run aftermarket wheels (specs of the R) with Hoosier A7s?

My GT350 is stock except for the track alignment and Schroth Harness.
Hoosiers and aftermarket wheels will put you in A Street Prepared I believe. VERY hard index.

OP
OP
nastang87xx

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I read a review of ther RS4's yesterday. So they're very fast but are kinda skiddish and require lots of corrections. I wish they compared the RE71R's but they compared the R888's, the RS4's, and the Rival S 1.5. The Rival S 1.5 was about .2 - .6 seconds faster than the RS4 on average over a 30'ish second course. That is a BIG deal...

We don't get Rival S 1.5's. They were clearly made to compete in STR, C, D, E, H Street, STX, and STS.

FleetofFords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350, '16 F150, '92 F150, '69 Mustang
Hoosiers and aftermarket wheels will put you in A Street Prepared I believe. VERY hard index.
Correct about the index. I think I would have to make up around 3 seconds. But sometimes I just want to get the big dogs on raw times...so close.

Thanks for the posts. I'm new to autocross and trying to absorb as much as I can.

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Testing the Re71R's this weekend. First outing for the season and looking forward to it!!

OP
OP
nastang87xx

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Correct about the index. I think I would have to make up around 3 seconds. But sometimes I just want to get the big dogs on raw times...so close.

Thanks for the posts. I'm new to autocross and trying to absorb as much as I can.
I can understand that. Just my humble suggestion because I'm by no means a driving god (I usually end up top 1/3 overall of 160+ drivers and mid upper pack of A Street against tire'ed up C5 Z's, C6 GS's, and S2000 CR's), I'd say try out your Super Sports for an event or three and get a feel for how the suspension behaves and THEN tire up more. One hard part about autocross is finding the damn apex lines since it's not always very clear. You have to really understand how your line is set up for the next corner. My suggestions:

1. Learn how to look a corner or two a head. It helps you to plan out your line. Picture yourself driving when you do your walk arounds.

2. Don't be afraid to use your ABS. That's what it's there for. STOMP on your brakes.

3. Easy into the gas. Like...very easy in. Most often times I find myself right in the meat of the torque band and it takes very little effort to kick the tail out.

4. With the GT350, I have found maintenance throttle into corner entry is a no-no. Almost let the car coast for a split second until you're just about to hit the apex. This can be fixed with a front sway bar but get some driving in first.

And here's a demo...

[ame]

A few notes:

I dicked up BADLY @ :26. I braked way too late and as a result I pushed out far into the cones and totally blew the apex.

@ :29 I should have been rolling into the gas more, instead I was on maintenance throttle because I was afraid I'd kick the tail out. That would have only happened if I stabbed at it.

@ :31 I should have lifted instead of tapped the brake. In fact, if you watch closely you can see it upset the front end when it wanted to just gracefully glide into the S kink

@:37 I should have been smoother with the gas. I stabbed and it threw me completely off for the entire corner. If I were on the gas just a touch it would have been smoother. But instead I got that rrrRRRRrrrrRRRrrrRRR going which upsets the front end and you lose grip because the weight is coming off of the nose.

:40 - 57 was just about as good as it can get.

1:03 - 1:07 is really a big imaginary straight line. Look for those opportunities.

1:08, dumbass hit the brakes late again... :doh:

Have fun, laugh, and enjoy the experience!

Chetly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Z06
I run with

http://www.americanautox.com/schedule/
or SCCA
Focused on American cars, faster courses. The rest of the season it out at Crows Landing. Close..ish to Sac.
American Autocross, best group of people to run with in California. Its definitely worth the drive up or down to crows landing to participate.
Sponsored