Willwood rotors

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I would love to try a set of lighter rotors on my GT.... anyone fitted the Willwood kit??:):shrug:
Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I'm hoping to figure out how to use the standard GT brakes but with some nice upgrades like pads and better rotors. The standard GT brakes are capable of stopping ok (got up to 1G on the accelerometer). For now, only the PP guys are getting the love.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You don't want wilwood anything.

I've spoken a lot about this.

Wilwood is for the restomod crowd, they are better than the oem 1960s+ hardware however that's where the praise ends.

They sell these kits with "2piece rotors", it's not 2 piece rotors the aluminum hub is bolted to the steel disc. Aluminum and steel expand differently and under hard track use they can warp or even crap because the disc has no where to go.

Then we have companies like AP racing and girodisc. They set their two piece rotors with slots so that the disc can expand independently over the aluminum hub.

The reason why the standard GT brakes are not getting love is because they are junk.

The caliper is massive, this makes it almost impossible to make a two piece rotor because the caliper expands into the hat area.

Whereas the Brembo is trimmed in a way to only have material where it needs it for the most part.

If you want a cheap BBK find the 6 piston brembos and add 2 piece discs. This is a proven and reliable setup.

Essexparts.com make an excellent BBK for the s550 chassis as well for a good price

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

Wilwood is for the restomod crowd, they are better than the oem 1960s+ hardware however that's where the praise ends.

They sell these kits with "2piece rotors", it's not 2 piece rotors the aluminum hub is bolted to the steel disc. Aluminum and steel expand differently and under hard track use they can warp or even crap because the disc has no where to go.

Then we have companies like AP racing and girodisc. They set their two piece rotors with slots so that the disc can expand independently over the aluminum hub.

The reason why the standard GT brakes are not getting love is because they are junk.

The caliper is massive, this makes it almost impossible to make a two piece rotor because the caliper expands into the hat area.

Whereas the Brembo is trimmed in a way to only have material where it needs it for the most part.

If you want a cheap BBK find the 6 piston brembos and add 2 piece discs. This is a proven and reliable setup.

Essexparts.com make an excellent BBK for the s550 chassis as well for a good price
Well crap, I have a set of the Wilwood from Shelby Super Snake. Haven't install them, but may have to consider another BBK again lol.

Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
If you don't plan to race your ok
I got it for appearance at first, but tracking is starting to appeal to me more and more lol. Of course, I am not sure about it yet :shrug:. Thanks!

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Just never go to a track ever... and you won't end up spending thousands upon thousands on track days, tires, brake pads, tires, brake pads, fluid changes, rinse and repeat. :)

I believe it's much like the cocaine... these track days.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Just never go to a track ever... and you won't end up spending thousands upon thousands on track days, tires, brake pads, tires, brake pads, fluid changes, rinse and repeat. :)

I believe it's much like the cocaine... these track days.
:lol:

Will take that into consideration :)

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

ansibe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP, Recaros, Koni Yellow, 350r springs.
How to make $1 million racing .... Start with $2 million.

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Baer / Willwood: Good looks, fine on street but a big no no for track use or repeated stops!

Brembo & Girodisc: Great all rounder!

AP / Alcon: Untouchable, absolute best there is!

Optional: The GT350 brake kit at $4000 is a great option, it is the best looking brake setup on the market, looks totally killer and saves a little weight, but not much about 1-2lb/s per disc as they are much bigger (why they look so great) and the calipers painted in bright yellow look totally gorgeous. The setup also performs fine on track, though AP/Alcon would be better for a lot of hard track driving but for street and odd track day the GT 350 setup is a great option and looks totally bad ass!

Mtec: UK option, I am working with them on making two-piece disc, they will be fine for street and will also be able to offer more durable track options if needed, just give it a month or two. :)

OP
OP
Enoch

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather

My car isn't used on track...:) I've used Willwood rotors and calliper s on my old TVR's with no problems...

My car is a PP with the 6 pot brembos, which are more than adequate for my type of use...

My main aims are weight reduction and better aesthetics.. and I think the Willwoods would give me this:confused:

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Baer / Willwood: Good looks, fine on street but a big no no for track use or repeated stops!

Brembo & Girodisc: Great all rounder!

AP / Alcon: Untouchable, absolute best there is!

Optional: The GT350 brake kit at $4000 is a great option, it is the best looking brake setup on the market, looks totally killer and saves a little weight, but not much about 1-2lb/s per disc as they are much bigger (why they look so great) and the calipers painted in bright yellow look totally gorgeous. The setup also performs fine on track, though AP/Alcon would be better for a lot of hard track driving but for street and odd track day the GT 350 setup is a great option and looks totally bad ass!

Mtec: UK option, I am working with them on making two-piece disc, they will be fine for street and will also be able to offer more durable track options if needed, just give it a month or two. :)
Doing front and rear is much cheaper than that. On the front, you should shave about 8lbs a rotor off. Less than half an inch bigger than GTPP rotors. The rear would probably be negligible.
Sponsored