Sponsored

2015 Mustang EB I4 Reliability

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Production was moved to Cleveland in March of 2015 but there are some post March 2015 EB's with Spanish engines. You can look at the sticker on the front of the engine slightly below the cover to identify the build location. Here is a Spanish build.
_20161007_104945.jpg

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I am at 26533 miles on my 2016 EBM Premium fully modded as my signature shows, I drive it spiritedly, I run methanol as well. Other than one rattle I cannot seem to find, which I didnt have in my 15GT the car has been rock solid...

JStang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost
FWIW, my car has a build date in early May 2015, and my engine was built March 27th in Cleveland.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
My car is a real early build... built in Nov 2014. Bought the Cobb on preorder the day before I ordered the car itself and tossed the stage 1 OTS tune on it before the first tank was out. The Car is full bolt on, been through a bunch of tunes, runs methanol, and is daily driven in all weather with just over 23k miles on it with the only problem being the smoking issue the early builds had because of the oil separator/pcv.

Sponsored

MagneticEco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Bought mine in February 2015, haven't bothered to check when it was built but I'm assuming a little bit before that. Tune, intercooler and catch can, going on 24k miles with no issues. Most issues seem to have happened when people ran super aggressive race tunes or some geniuses that used a tune and Boostmax in tandem. It's a turbo engine so as long as you take care of it and don't try to pass in six gear going 50mph you should be fine.

OP
OP
Phil@JDM

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
Sounds good guys thanks for all the feedback gonna go check it out tomorrow

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Bought my Ecoboost with PP 1/10/15. At 1000 miles I tuned it and in the spring of 15 I added an exhaust and intake. Now I have 34k trouble free miles, it's never been back to the dealer for anything.

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15' EB Prem PP, 07' GT (track Car), 01' RC51, 16" S1000XR
I have a Spanish engined EB delivered 1/13/2015. Tuned since 18k, Intercooler and downpipe now at 48k no issues whatsoever. Well except for that one time before I gapped my spark plugs and had some spark blowout.

I've read plenty about the issue with the Spanish engines and the belief it is improperly torqued rod bolts. But there hasn't been enough data collected to determine if it's just a few of them built between xx/date and xx/date or all of the Spanish engines.

Sounds like it's not a concern on that particular car anyway.

Sponsored

MagneticEco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
People are missing the point. Just because you have a Spanish built engine and have had no problems doesn't mean they aren't more prone to failure. I have one too and have had no problems. The point is there is data already that shows that most of the engine problems have been from the Spanish built motors, extremely few once they moved to Cleveland and I would argue all or most of those were self induced. It doesn't matter if 100 people post here and say "I have a Spanish built motor with 50k miles on it and has been tuned since birth with no problems". That doesn't change the data.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
People are missing the point. Just because you have a Spanish built engine and have had no problems doesn't mean they aren't more prone to failure. I have one too and have had no problems. The point is there is data already that shows that most of the engine problems have been from the Spanish built motors, extremely few once they moved to Cleveland and I would argue all or most of those were self induced. It doesn't matter if 100 people post here and say "I have a Spanish built motor with 50k miles on it and has been tuned since birth with no problems". That doesn't change the data.
Saying that all Spanish engines are more prone to failure than all Cleveland engines is not an accurate statement. The engine failures were early 2014 builds (July-Sept?) and mostly all tuned so perhaps the tuners adjusted the tunes over time as well as manufacturing abnormalities regarding the rod bolt torque were corrected. There are many more tuned 2015 running just fine than blown engines and the frequency of engine failure has diminished over time. To my knowledge the 678, 677, 676. and 675 Spanish engines have held up better than the previous engine numbers and are the fastest EB's setting records at the track. Also, some tuners have never had a blown engine. There are too many variables that are unknown and may have changed at some point to say that Cleveland engines are superior to all Spanish engines.

Last edited:

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Saying that all Spanish engines are more prone to failure than all Cleveland engines is not an accurate statement. The engine failures were early 2014 builds (July-Sept?) and mostly all tuned so perhaps the tuners adjusted the tunes over time as well as manufacturing abnormalities regarding the rod bolt torque were corrected. There are many more tuned 2015 running just fine than blown engines and the frequency of engine failure has diminished over time. To my knowledge the 678, 677, 676. and 675 Spanish engines have held up better than the previous engine numbers and are the fastest EB's setting records at the track. Also, some tuners have never had a blown engine. There are too many variables that are unknown and may have changed at some point to say that Cleveland engines are superior to all Spanish engines.
And I had a major tuner on here say just as much... early tune was messing up engines during colder months, so he went with a summer/winter tune (created winter tune, he did not say if he adjusted the summer tune).

On this forum it is difficult sometimes to understand what is real and what is fact... people read something and think that is real.

Hey, it can't be the tuner, it MUST be the engine.

Jcopin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 legend lime v6 coupe, 15 deep impact blue vert
My 15 convertible has 49k on it. Got it last june with 27k....yea yea i know. Had driveshaft replaced but otherwise been great
Sponsored