Sponsored

2015 Mustang EB I4 Reliability

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
Hey guys, looking to pick up a used 2015 EB mustang i saw at a dealership this weekend if everything works out. 6spd with performance package and 2600 miles. My question is how many guys have had issues with reliability of the motor? i would like to do the basic bolt ons such as intake, catback and tune after i have had it for a month or so. Just curious if these EB cars are a good investment, meaning that the motor is not going to self destruct before i even pay it off. Thanks.
Sponsored

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
EcoBOOM!

ha! you'll get some wildly varying opinions on here....but the Coyote isn't much more expensive, and is much less stressed at any given power level. If you're gonna run it hard, a good NA Coyote (tune, intake & exhaust, maybe headers & e85) is hard to beat for value and reliability.

Btor23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
i bought my 15 ecoboost premium with 13k no the clock last year. it had that issue with misfire in cylinder 3 my local dealership did the pcm flash and the car has been perfect since then. it now has 25k on it and i take care of it but drive her hard on a daily basis. i dont have any mods but i can say atleast stock its been reliable as of now and a pure joy to drive.

OP
OP
Phil@JDM

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well thats good to hear! hopefully some more good news from other EB owners will come as well lol

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Phil, check the build date. If it's a Cleveland (late 2015) build you're good to go. If it's a Spain build, you might want to avoid it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Phil@JDM

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looks like the build date on the window stick is 06/04/2015/ i know ford started production in the us on march 6 so i am assuming it will be alright?

DansEBM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost PP Mustang
Have a Jan 2015 build Spanish built manual, with intercooler, VTTO stage 2 turbo, catch can, and Adam tune, runs like a top, no issues so far, planning on engine rebuild later this year though, so I don't ecoboom it.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
2015 Spanish built engine with no problems after 1.5 years and 7k miles. I have a drop in high performance air filter and looking to add a cat back in the next few months.

OP
OP
Phil@JDM

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
does anyone know what the actual cutoff date would be for when an "american" motor would be in the mustang. the build date is June but they might have used a motor assembled months prior no?

Sponsored

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
does anyone know what the actual cutoff date would be for when an "american" motor would be in the mustang. the build date is June but they might have used a motor assembled months prior no?
I doubt it, most parts are JIT so the engine arrives just in time to be put in the car. They build so many a day it would be hundreds of engines. The dates on the parts on my car are all within a couple days of build date.

Witj85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT Base 6spd in Shadow Black
I have a July 2015 build with 9500 miles on it running great.. all stock.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
This hotel I'm staying at for work has a partnership with a local Ford dealer for rentals, they have 3 2015 EB with over 60k on them that they rent (one has almost 90k), I've driven two of them now and they're as solid as mine with only 6000 miles on it. One of them has a squeak in the HVAC fan but thats the only problem I can detect, and you know rentals get the piss beaten out of them.

If you're wondering how the miles got so high, they're flat rate unlimited mile rentals. I put 1400 miles on one last weekend driving 3 states over to visit my mom.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Highly doubtful it would be using an older motor. I forget when they migrated from Spain but it was around March/April I think. I'm sure a June build is Cleveland.

I also have a Spain motor with 30k miles and no problems. That doesn't say anything. The point is almost all of the engine problems have come from the early build Spain motors.

DansEBM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost PP Mustang
From what I've read anything built after March 2015 is us built, that's what I remember, but could be incorrect.
Sponsored