Sponsored

Under Hood Noise

psssst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang EB Premium
I have a 2016 EB Premium with the FP CAI and tune. I'm hearing a single "pop" noise coming from under my hood. It seems to happen when I let off the gas and the boost drops and goes into the negative side. I also can hear this sitting still in my driveway after revving the engine, I will hear it shortly after it returns to idle. It almost sounds as if there is a check valve closing or something. Has anyone else heard this under their hood?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff :shrug::shrug::shrug:
Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
That's completely normal. All turbo cars have them. It's called a bypass valve. When you let off the gas and the throttle snaps shut, the turbo is still spinning and all of that air has to go somewhere else it'll travel back to the turbo and cause compressor surge. By releasing the charge air, it eliminates that scenario and prolongs the life of the turbo. That's a really basic explanation but enough to substantiate that it's a normal and necessary function.

OP
OP

psssst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang EB Premium
The dealer finally had a chance to look at my car and determine that the BPV is making this noise so they ordered one. Lets see if that fixes it.