ronnieb1958

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
MPSS mounted up. I had the PZero all seasons before these, not as much traction in the rain as expected, but not bad. I'm sure it will get better as they brake in a little. Now I'm just waiting for some dry weather.

what size wheels and tires?
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I just got my NT555G2 and new wheels mounted today and I'm loving them. It's been pouring rain out here in Vegas, so the streets are extra slippery and slick. But they tires have not dissapointed at all, even being brand new. The 315/35/20 rear is nice too!
Wait until the rain has washed away all of the oil and whatever other slippery crap that ends up on the pavement before seriously trying to evaluate your tires. That stuff will make even really great rain tires look terrible, which won't be the tires' fault.

Norm

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
what size wheels and tires?
285/35/19 front and 315/35/19 rear. After a few miles were put on them, traction in the rain has been great!

702TrafficCone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
Wait until the rain has washed away all of the oil and whatever other slippery crap that ends up on the pavement before seriously trying to evaluate your tires. That stuff will make even really great rain tires look terrible, which won't be the tires' fault.

Norm

Oh I know. I'm just saying, thus far they've been great. I can only imagine once everything is fully dry, it'll be much better!

OP
OP
2morrow

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
So I have learned a lot about Michelin in my month long search for new tires. I read countless other forums, talked to multiple retailers large and small,
called Michelin and come up with some interesting info.

Michelin MPSS come in multiple specs. From my research there is a "regular", BMW spec, K1 Ferrari spec and NO Porsche spec. There may be others as well.

I just bought a set of MPSS in 275/35/20(BMW spec tire) and 295/35/20(K1 Ferrari spec) I had the option of the NO Porsche spec but declined which I will
detail later. I really wanted the normal or regular spec 295's but they weren't available due to Michelin underestimating the market. The 275's were hard
to find as well which ultimately forced my hand.

Here is a picture of the MPSS K1 on the left and the "regular" on the right.

You will note that the K1 has much larger grooves compared to the regular. This was one of the reasons I was so hell bent on finding the regular with
smaller tread grooves. Traction is an issue and I figured more rubber on the road is better.

The tread depth of the K1 is at 7/32's" compared to the regular of 9/32's". Many sources say that the regular has 10/32's" and I even got off the phone
with Tire Rack before writing this and they state they have 10/32's" FYI, if your that detailed...

The K1 tire has a 3 lb weight savings on the regular and a slightly different sidewall shape(see below). Even thought the Michelin folks state that the
performance is almost exactly the same I cant help but think that the additional weight loss and difference in Tire tread design will give a different driving
impression. However the Mustang is a hammer compared to the surgical knife precision of a Ferrari (Yes, I have driven one) and I figure the difference in
vehicles is too large to be able to discern a difference in K1 vs. non-K1 equipped Mustangs(if that makes sense).

I Also found that the K1 has a 12"wide tire width in 295 where the NO Porsche spec has an 11.5" width. This was ultimately the reason I went with the K1.
The bummer thing is that the K1 has .7" LESS tire tread than the regular MPSS.

The rounder sidewall shape gives a stiffer sidewall(according to sources) and more of a stretched look also giving a harsher ride but better handling.

Here is a pic of the K1 mounted:

Here is the standard model mounted:

Side Note:
With all the time being spent on researching this I had the thought of waiting for the Pilot Sport 4S but we are having a monsoon over here lately in NorCal
and I am getting dangerously low on tread. All these factors pointed to my decision to not wait for the sizes I wanted which no one knew how long would
take to get to market. My wife said "BUY TIRES NOW" last night before we went to bed lol. They should arrive tomorrow. I hope these tires are good...

Sources Include:
Costco Tire Center Novato & Vallejo CA. Cains Tire San Rafael, CA H&J Tire Service, Novato CA Tire Rack, IN Les Schwab, Santa Rosa CA Tire Buyer.com
1010tire.com, car and driver.com, motor trend.com, road and track.com, Michelin USA, 5post.com, allfordmustangs.com, mustang6g.com, themustangsource.com.

Sponsored

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
So I have learned a lot about Michelin in my month long search for new tires. I read countless other forums, talked to multiple retailers large and small,
called Michelin and come up with some interesting info.

Michelin MPSS come in multiple specs. From my research there is a "regular", BMW spec, K1 Ferrari spec and NO Porsche spec. There may be others as well.

I just bought a set of MPSS in 275/35/20(BMW spec tire) and 295/35/20(K1 Ferrari spec) I had the option of the NO Porsche spec but declined which I will
detail later. I really wanted the normal or regular spec 295's but they weren't available due to Michelin underestimating the market. The 275's were hard
to find as well which ultimately forced my hand.

You will note that the K1 has much larger grooves compared to the regular. This was one of the reasons I was so hell bent on finding the regular with
smaller tread grooves. Traction is an issue and I figured more rubber on the road is better.

The tread depth of the K1 is at 7/32's" compared to the regular of 9/32's". Many sources say that the regular has 10/32's" and I even got off the phone
with Tire Rack before writing this and they state they have 10/32's" FYI, if your that detailed...

The K1 tire has a 3 lb weight savings on the regular and a slightly different sidewall shape(see below). Even thought the Michelin folks state that the
performance is almost exactly the same I cant help but think that the additional weight loss and difference in Tire tread design will give a different driving
impression. However the Mustang is a hammer compared to the surgical knife precision of a Ferrari (Yes, I have driven one) and I figure the difference in
vehicles is too large to be able to discern a difference in K1 vs. non-K1 equipped Mustangs(if that makes sense).

I Also found that the K1 has a 12"wide tire width in 295 where the NO Porsche spec has an 11.5" width. This was ultimately the reason I went with the K1.
The bummer thing is that the K1 has .7" LESS tire tread than the regular MPSS.

The rounder sidewall shape gives a stiffer sidewall(according to sources) and more of a stretched look also giving a harsher ride but better

Side Note:
With all the time being spent on researching this I had the thought of waiting for the Pilot Sport 4S but we are having a monsoon over here lately in NorCal
and I am getting dangerously low on tread. All these factors pointed to my decision to not wait for the sizes I wanted which no one knew how long would
take to get to market. My wife said "BUY TIRES NOW" last night before we went to bed lol. They should arrive tomorrow. I hope these tires are good...

Sources Include:
Costco Tire Center Novato & Vallejo CA. Cains Tire San Rafael, CA H&J Tire Service, Novato CA Tire Rack, IN Les Schwab, Santa Rosa CA Tire Buyer.com
1010tire.com, car and driver.com, motor trend.com, road and track.com, Michelin USA, 5post.com, allfordmustangs.com, mustang6g.com, themustangsource.com.
Great info Todd. So would you know how to tell what models we may have? Like a sidewall marking? My rears look stretched and the front is more squared off. I'm going out in the rain to look now.

OP
OP
2morrow

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Great info Todd. So would you know how to tell what models we may have? Like a sidewall marking? My rears look stretched and the front is more squared off. I'm going out in the rain to look now.
Thanks man, it was a PITA learning process. If you have the product number I can cross reference against mine. PM me if your interested.

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
Found this info for anyone interested.

So I have the TPC up front, which is GM spec. I'm still looking into the tears
IMG_0736.jpg

OP
OP
2morrow

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP

This is great info. I somehow missed this in my searches.

ronnieb1958

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase

ok, i'm an novice, so you gotta spell it out. When I got to TireBuyer.com or Tire Rack.com to get a set of Super Sports what information do I need to look for to the right tire for regular street driving?

Sponsored
OP
OP
2morrow

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
ok, i'm an novice, so you gotta spell it out. When I got to TireBuyer.com or Tire Rack.com to get a set of Super Sports what information do I need to look for to the right tire for regular street driving?
Lemme help you out bud. I had 5 conversations with them today. If your looking for regular MPSS's theyll probably be sold out of certain sizes already. I would suggest calling them and talking to a live person.

FYI, of your looking for a 295/35/20 your only choices are the K1 Ferrari spec or the NO Porsche spec. 275/35/20 are almost all sold out.

Costco is having a sale where you get $70 off a set of 4 Michelins but good luck finding big boy sizes.

I got so frustrated that I almost bought a set of Nitto 555G2's cuz CJPP is having a sale right now. Just get the code from Dave@CJPP. TBH, if I was doing regular street driving I would go that route. You'll save $$$ and not get frustrated.

Let us know how you fare.

ronnieb1958

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Lemme help you out bud. I had 5 conversations with them today. If your looking for regular MPSS's theyll probably be sold out of certain sizes already. I would suggest calling them and talking to a live person.

FYI, of your looking for a 295/35/20 your only choices are the K1 Ferrari spec or the NO Porsche spec. 275/35/20 are almost all sold out.

Costco is having a sale where you get $70 off a set of 4 Michelins but good luck finding big boy sizes.

I got so frustrated that I almost bought a set of Nitto 555G2's cuz CJPP is having a sale right now. Just get the code from Dave@CJPP. TBH, if I was doing regular street driving I would go that route. You'll save $$$ and not get frustrated.

Let us know how you fare.
ok...what is a "regular MPSS"?...what specs, model number, or code do I look for to know I have one?

i'm looking for either 275/40/19 or 275/35/19

OP
OP
2morrow

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
ok...what is a "regular MPSS"?...what specs, model number, or code do I look for to know I have one?

i'm looking for either 275/40/19 or 275/35/19
That's the thing, the only way to tell is to call or go to a store. The website won't tell you. Inventory is so low right now(due to Pilot Sport 4S release) that I had to get a specialty tire just to get tires(lame).
The same thing happened to me last year but that time had to do with the nationwide shortage.

If your doing stock PP sizes I would recommend just going to costco and getting their promotion price($70 discount).

Hope that helps.

ronnieb1958

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
That's the thing, the only way to tell is to call or go to a store. The website won't tell you. Inventory is so low right now(due to Pilot Sport 4S release) that I had to get a specialty tire just to get tires(lame).
The same thing happened to me last year but that time had to do with the nationwide shortage.

If your doing stock PP sizes I would recommend just going to costco and getting their promotion price($70 discount).

Hope that helps.
one last question: if I go to Costco, what identifying info do I look for or what do I ask the salesperson?...do I ask for the "regular" or OEM? version?

thanx for your help...

OP
OP
2morrow

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
one last question: if I go to Costco, what identifying info do I look for or what do I ask the salesperson?...do I ask for the "regular" or OEM? version?

thanx for your help...
If you do go to costco, just state what you want. I accidently info overloaded someone and confused them. Hopefully your customer service person is competent and they will let you know if that tire is a brand spec model.

I just ran into that problem because the sizes I wanted were not OE for that car. In your case the 275/40/19 is an OE size for a GT PP so they shouldn't have a problem.

BTW, I think the sale ends 03/12/17. No probs and good luck!
Sponsored