2020 Ford Bronco CONFIRMED!

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Ford rep said today the designer for the new Bronco owned an Early Bronco and said it would be a competitor for Jeep. That better mean straight axle front and 2 doors.
Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Ford rep said today the designer for the new Bronco owned an Early Bronco and said it would be a competitor for Jeep. That better mean straight axle front and 2 doors.
It'll still likely have a IFS like the the Cherokee and such.

Don't take statements too exact..they have hardware limitations.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
We've got an Explorer Sport. I've driven a Taurus wagon. I can assure you they're not even in the same worlds. lol
Well, if you're talking about an older Explorer Sport, sure. But lets make sure we're all talking about the same things here - the current Explorer, Sport included, shares a platform, powertrains, general architecture and AWD systems with the Taurus. They differ in tuning, calibration, sheet metal. Whereas the Everest - and the earlier Explorers - are not in different worlds, they're different solar systems. I recently retired a '98 Explorer V8 (well, Mountaineer) with 352K miles. Agreed that it would do things that an old Taurus wagon would never do. But that's not what I'm talking about. The current-model Explorer and Taurus are presented very differently, but they're much closer together than what I was talking about. I thought that was self-apparent. :shrug:

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
I can get behind a true body on frame and solid rear axle truck.

Toyota has the same line up...
CH-R = Ecosport
RAV4 = Escape
Highlander = Explorer
Sequoia = Expedition
Tundra = F-150
4Runner = Bronco
Tacoma = Ranger

Sponsored

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If its the Everest....Im out. Might as well be an Expedition. Needs straight axle front, 2 doors, and removable top otherwise its as bland as all those other ones listed above.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's good looking in a modern way, but I'm not excited about it. It just looks like more of the same that Ford already offers, but with slightly different styling.

I disagree with those who say there's no market for a two door SUV. It might not be the largest market, but it's definitely out there. And it's not exactly the young woman Escape market or the family Edge/Explorer market. It's more of an enthusiast market similar to the Mustang market - it's an SUV market with a higher percentage of young males than the other SUV markets.

IMO it's similar to the pony car market in that styling it will be crucial to the demand of the market. There were lots of other 2 door, small, sporty cars on the market before and during the time that the Mustang originally was released. The Mustang just happened to have the right look and price that a lot of people decided they wanted one. If the Bronco has really cool styling, is two door and has a top you can remove (along with a low price), lots and lots of people will want it.

Last edited:

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Ford has already as much as said that there won't be a lift off roof and the vehicle will be Ranger-based. That eliminates the possibility of a live axle up front, in practical terms. They did say that the Bronco will have unique styling and it won't be a rebadged Everest. What that leaves in the middle, who knows? That does still leave room for something like that rendering that everyone's latched onto. Just with IFS.

FWIW, I didn't say there was no market for 2-door SUV, just not for a full-size 2-door. Jeep has proven that there remains (limited) market for a mid-size 2-door, and also that it can't really stand alone.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
IMO, it will be a major fail if there isn't a 2-door in the lineup. As with the Jeep Wrangler, the 4-door will represent the most volume but there would be ample sales volume for a 2-door also. And the 2-door is the one that the hardcore off-roaders will want anyway.

The Wrangler is a major cash cow for FCA and Ford has to want a piece of that pie. Demand is amazingly high, Jeep sells every one they can build with little to no incentives. Properly done, a Bronco will do the same - but Ford better do it right or it will just be a boring offering slotted between Escape and Explorer. That regurgitated Everest pictured above isn't going to cut it in terms of styling.

I've owned four Jeep Wranglers so far (my DD is a '13 Sahara), all 2-doors that I've special ordered, and love them. I had a '00 Explorer Sport 2-door in between my two TJs and two JKs as well, and loved it also. I'd jump at a Bronco in a heartbeat if there were an equivalent alternative to Jeep, since my Fords have been far better in terms of overall reliability....

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
It's just going to be a face-lifted Everest. Doubt Ford will close itself into a niche 2 door truck market. Nobody buys 2 door Wranglers anymore, and usually only do if they can't afford an Unlimited.

I wish we could get the Everest as is, that SUV looks sweet, and probably more capable than some Toyotas.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Nobody buys 2 door Wranglers anymore, and usually only do if they can't afford an Unlimited.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

List on my '13 was over $35K, rest assured I could have swung an Unlimited. And go hang around Jeep forums for a reality check on 2-doors.

I have ZERO interest in a Jeep (or Bronco) with 4-doors. Too big and bulky.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
If you want a truck, get a Ford. If you want an suv, look elsewhere. Never been a fan. Other companies do it better.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

List on my '13 was over $35K, rest assured I could have swung an Unlimited. And go hang around Jeep forums for a reality check on 2-doors.

I have ZERO interest in a Jeep (or Bronco) with 4-doors. Too big and bulky.
Reality check: Enthusiast forums are not reality.

If we are considering the AMA designer as a reliable source, he even states:

[–][deleted] 3 points 1 day ago*
We are benchmarking the Wrangler Unlimited for design considerations on the Bronco, but the doors/roof/windshield won't move. There's lots of OJ jokes around the office here but I have a feeling the marketing guys will be trying to avoid him ;)
Don't you wonder why they are putting no consideration in for the 2 door Wrangler? Because it isn't relevant anymore and they obviously aren't the bread winner in the Wrangler line-up. I've already removed the Wrangler from a future consideration after my WJ dies because as much as I would love a sweet off road toy, they really have no utility value whatsoever. The 2 door wrangler is basically as versatile as a Mustang and a nicely optioned out Unlimited costs as much as a similar Grand Cherokee, with much less DD utility. For people who aren't made of money, niche vehicles just don't work. My pragmatic side is already hating myself for planning to buy a MY18 Mustang, knowing that in a few years I'll also need to replace my important vehicle (the Jeep) with something just as useful. Here's to hoping the valves seats don't drop out on this wonderful Chrysler 4.7.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Reality check: Enthusiast forums are not reality.
You can say it over and over again but that doesn't make it more likely to be true. :)

The reason there are enthusiast forums is because people really love their vehicles and will spend more and buy more often due to that love. I'm rooting for Ford to build a vehicle that people will love, rather than another bland "me too" type of SUV.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
For the 2012 model year, Jeep built 74,665 2-door Wranglers, versus 117,296 Unlimiteds.

I'd say well over 74K units is a few more than nobody bought. :lol:
Sponsored