Sponsored

Apple Carplay available on Sync 3 launch?

ZIGZGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Premium PP
I ordered a 2016 GT Premium PP yesterday. One of the reasons I waited this long is so I could have the Sync 3 system vs the current MyFord Touch. I know it will offer WiFi updates, but does anyone know if Carplay will be available immediately at launch or will it be a WiFi update on the future? I'd love to know! I'm excited either way I care way more about how the car drives anyway, but I like to be informed. Any ford insiders want to chime in? Also I did not order Navy, but I assume I won't need it since I could use the maps app through Carplay?
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
All signs point to the Apple Carplay (and Android auto) not being available at launch.

Reactions: 113

midnite9150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 GT
has there even been confirmation that either will make it to sync 3? I know there has been plenty of talk that it COULD go on.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
has there even been confirmation that either will make it to sync 3? I know there has been plenty of talk that it COULD go on.
SYNC 3 will be compatible with both from everything I've heard; definitely with Android Auto. Problem is a few weeks ago there was some info that Ford may be teaming up with Toyota to basically try and "fight" Google and Apple from "taking over" the OEM systems.

Looks like Ford & Toyota are not happy with the idea that they dumped all this time, money, and effort into their proprietary systems to just see all their customers just plug in their phone and have Google and Apple control the headunit. If this report, as it was only one article I saw, is true then I could imagine Ford and Toyota blocking/limiting some functionality of Android Auto and Apple Carplay, or slow-rolling the implementation of these for years.

If that happens I'll be really pissed as it's not any different than what the mobile carriers did when they blocked Google Wallet for all those years. At this point that app is finally available on all Android devices but it was blocked for so many years that that effectively killed it before it could get off the ground in terms of adoption rates. That could be what Ford & Toyota are planning, especially given that Toyota is the world's largest car maker.

OP
OP
ZIGZGT

ZIGZGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd be really pissed of they did that. I was assuming it would be available immediately or soon after launch. Android auto and CarPlay are the future. I hope they don't block it. Every manufacturer is moving to this. I can't imagine them revolting. Argh. That was one of the big reasons I want Sync3. I would use that system way more than the stock one.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
I'd be really pissed of they did that. I was assuming it would be available immediately or soon after launch. Android auto and CarPlay are the future. I hope they don't block it. Every manufacturer is moving to this. I can't imagine them revolting. Argh. That was one of the big reasons I want Sync3. I would use that system way more than the stock one.
Believe me when I say I was fuming when I first heard about this. That news forced me to spend the extra $700+ on factory navigation because we're just not sure when/if Android Auto will become available and I wasn't going to spend all this money on a GT Premium without navigation. I hate when companies try to monopolize these things instead of letting open competition force them to do better.

But I will say this. I've been impressed enough by the updated SYNC 3 that even if AA is blocked I'll do fine with the OEM system. That would not have been the case with MFT for me personally.

PhillMcKraken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
They want to fight it just so they can keep charging for $700 worth of navigation, its basically pure profit. Sucks, but oh well. I am hopeful eventually they will unlock both systems.

Cars_1959

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Heard that it was definitely on the way but probably not by launch.

They added it would be not too far in the future whatever that meant.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
They want to fight it just so they can keep charging for $700 worth of navigation, its basically pure profit. Sucks, but oh well. I am hopeful eventually they will unlock both systems.
Exactly - makes complete sense from their side - it essentially takes their own nav completely out of the picture.

OP
OP
ZIGZGT

ZIGZGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heard that it was definitely on the way but probably not by launch.

They added it would be not too far in the future whatever that meant.

I would assume that means that we will just get it via WiFi update when it is ready. I am guessing no more than 6 months after the first 2016 mustang rolls of the line, but that's just a guess. They will lose out on sales to competitors if they aren't quick to bring it to market. For techie consumers, having Android/iPhone systems will literally decide sales. That's not the case with me. It's just a perk. I'm buying the car because it's what gets the oil in my blood pumping :headbang:

Worst case scenario I will still have Sync3 which is light years ahead of MFT, so I'll still be happy. Just keeping my fingers crossed!

Sponsored

FordIVTteam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hey Everyone!

Although CarPlay and Android Auto will not be available when SYNC 3 is first launched, we are currently working on implementation of both in the future. Stay tuned. :)

Shaay

Barricad3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red gt premium
Hey Everyone!

Although CarPlay and Android Auto will not be available when SYNC 3 is first launched, we are currently working on implementation of both in the future. Stay tuned. :)

Shaay
Will apple CarPlay just be compatible with sync3? Or will it also be compatible with myfordtouch?