Sponsored

2018 GT 5.0L V8 bore diameter

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR6T
So who wants to guess the bore diameter on the new 2018 GT

Logically because they still call it a 5.0 you would assume the same bore (additionally they state the only carry over item unchanged is the crankshaft) however I don't necessarily believe it will be the same bore

Ford have stated that in the current configuration Coyote 92.2mm was as large a bore as they could get (and still allow for cast iron liners)
We know that they have now gone to the spray bore process which would allow them to go up to 94mm in diameter (GT 350)

After listing the benefits of the larger bore in the 350 ie larger valves and valve spacing, better breathing etc I'll be surprised if they didn't take some (the main) benefit of the spray bore process and give it a slightly larger bore

My guess is at the very least it will get a square bore and stroke ie 92.7 bore and stroke giving it slightly more than five litres (5.007) but still close enough to get away with referring to it as a 5.0

Personally I was surprised they didn't go for the full 94mm bore and just give it a slightly shorter stroke, I can only assume that it would not have been ideal for the F150 (ie losing stroke is the last thing you would want to do in a truck engine)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR6T
For anyone who may be interested and haven't found the other thread were this has been mentioned, it turns out bore diameter has increased from 92.2 to 93.0 now its a 5.04 capacity (I was close)