Sponsored

Do you block your hood vent over your CAI?

Jprada1210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT yellow Jacket

bandit67

Mustang Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2007 SPJ 302, 2019 Ranger
I did a test while trying to decide if I was going to move forward with a CAI.

I have the Roush hood vents installed, so not sure if Ford's factory vents work the same way. I poured a 16 oz bottle of water over the vent into each individual vent opening, with a towel in the engine bay to catch the water. ALL of the water poured directly onto the fender support to the side and in front of the factory airbox. NONE of it came through the vent directly over the intake area.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I plan to block mine over my Procharger. I'm sure im overthinking it, but cold water dripping onto a hot metal supercharger doesn't sound good to me. Peace of mind! I would do the same thing for a CAI just in case.

steelersfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
15 CO Mustang GT
Well, I'm currently rolling with a Roush CAI on my 15 GT, and unfortunately, here recently I've experienced 2 separate water intrusion events after heavy rain storms rolled through my area. I'm not speaking for anyone else but there's no doubt for me that water is getting through the hood vent and into my airbox. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but it's made me nervous enough, I'm switching over to a JLT CAI with a pre-filter installed. I really don't want to block that vent if I don't have to, but if it comes down to that decision, the vent opening will lose.

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
Well, I'm currently rolling with a Roush CAI on my 15 GT, and unfortunately, here recently I've experienced 2 separate water intrusion events after heavy rain storms rolled through my area. I'm not speaking for anyone else but there's no doubt for me that water is getting through the hood vent and into my airbox. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but it's made me nervous enough, I'm switching over to a JLT CAI with a pre-filter installed. I really don't want to block that vent if I don't have to, but if it comes down to that decision, the vent opening will lose.
Why not just put a prefilter over your Roush? That's what I did with mine.

Sponsored

bandit67

Mustang Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2007 SPJ 302, 2019 Ranger
Do you have the stock vents?

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
We have several cars in our Pompano, FL location with the CAI installed, going back to 2011.

We have driven them through rainstorms, hurricane-like weather & car washes ... several of them are daily drivers & we have had 0 issues with water causing an issue.

Best Regards,

TJ
I don't know why people would see much water driving through rain because air flowing over the car would tend to push water away from the vent rather than into it. Maybe it's different when just parked? I use those self serve car washes with a wand. Maybe a few drops gets in, literally. Of course I don't aim the sprayer into the opening either. I have my grill opened up more than stock so I bet more water comes in there than in the vent.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I have JLT air intake and I drive through car washes fairly frequently. No ill effects and my filter is still blue.

steelersfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
15 CO Mustang GT
Why not just put a prefilter over your Roush? That's what I did with mine.

That's definitely one of the many tests I plan on performing as I flesh this out.

steelersfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
15 CO Mustang GT
Do you have the stock vents?
Yes

I don't know why people would see much water driving through rain because air flowing over the car would tend to push water away from the vent rather than into it. Maybe it's different when just parked? I use those self serve car washes with a wand. Maybe a few drops gets in, literally. Of course I don't aim the sprayer into the opening either. I have my grill opened up more than stock so I bet more water comes in there than in the vent.

On both occasions, my events happened when I was parked and it was a heavy downpour.

Sponsored

nrothaar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Race Red

Silver_Bullet_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT Premium
i sit in touchless washes all the time and no issue on my 16. my 14 was a different story because of the placement of the extractors. you should be fine unless you are aiming water directly at the extractor and holding it there
Sponsored