Anyone ordered a 2018 model?

crostonian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
BMW 520d M Sport, Alfa 75 TS LE, Alfa GTV V6 24V
Just wondered if it is possible to place a deposit now for the new 2018 model, I suppose the easy way to find out is to call a dealer, just curious if anyone can speak from experience.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
You can't order an '18 in the US yet!

You can place an order and hope that your build slot is scheduled for when they're building the '18s.

Order too early and you'll get a '17.

:)

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
You can't order an '18 in the US yet!

You can place an order and hope that your build slot is scheduled for when they're building the '18s.

Order too early and you'll get a '17.

:)
but without knowing the specs and the price, how can the order just move over to a 18?

SSC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
it will be a long time into 2018 before UK cars will even get order possibilities. Many of the options mentioned in the release will be for US cars only. We will get cars that can only follow our legislations over here.
But hopefully some of the dumb EU rules will not be so much of an issue after Brexit ).

Sponsored

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
They (Ford) have already been through all the regulatory bullshit with 'globalising' the S550.1, so I don't see why they're gonna be in a position that's any different to when any Japanese, Korean, European or other car manufacturer introduces a 'refresh'... as that's all it basically is,... the same car, just tweaked... not a complete ground up rebuild... and I don't therefore see why there's likely to be any sort of delay (other than that resultant from the usual limited LHD production runs and extended shipping times) in the UK market seeing the S550.2 any later than if nothing had changed!

:shrug:

OP
OP

crostonian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
BMW 520d M Sport, Alfa 75 TS LE, Alfa GTV V6 24V
I'll have a word with a couple of dealers. I had a 2016 V8 Manual and sold it for various reasons; wife became pregnant, house refurb blah blah blah! So hopefully by the time the 2018 model hits the UK I'll be in a better position. I also prefer the looks, subjective I know, and the mods to the suspension, gearbox and active exhaust also appeal.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
but without knowing the specs and the price, how can the order just move over to a 18?
When your build slot is scheduled, you'll be asked to amend your preferences and/or any options/colours etc.

Guys that had '16s on order and had ordered colours specific to the '16MY were asked to change colours if their build slot meant they were getting a '17 (where Grabber Blue/Lightning Blue was introduced, but Deep Impact Blue and Guard were dropped)

Of course, there would always be the option to cancel the order and look for a car in the dealer network (other cancelled orders) that meets your preferences. But the chances of getting the exact car you want might be slim.

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
When your build slot is scheduled, you'll be asked to amend your preferences and/or any options/colours etc.

Guys that had '16s on order and had ordered colours specific to the '16MY were asked to change colours if their build slot meant they were getting a '17 (where Grabber Blue/Lightning Blue was introduced, but Deep Impact Blue and Guard were dropped)

Of course, there would always be the option to cancel the order and look for a car in the dealer network (other cancelled orders) that meets your preferences. But the chances of getting the exact car you want might be slim.
That is.. true.. ish. I mean, IF they contact you and you're not told it's already locked in... as I was on the fence on LB over RR and I called and was told it was too late (I wasn't going to change it since I'd yet to see LB but I wanted to know).

If the 550.2 is hitting the US at the end of this year, their order books likely won't take 2018 orders until around June (maybe May depending on builds) so we're unlikely to be able to influence a 2018 car until about this time next year. But, since we still don't know prices, options or hell, even the BHP the car will put out in US form, I'd err on it being later rather than earlier.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Ford UK should know exactly what production slots they still have available before June that will give you a MY17. You just need to make sure that you work with a knowledgable salesperson who has direct access to the people at Ford UK who know and not some dillweed who barely knows how to enter an order into a computer.

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Thinking about it - we may not get the chance to have orders placed this year. It could be a waiting list job again with orders being "locked in" some time late this year.

For us crazy early adopters - order books opened officially on 20/01/2015. Deposits were being taken before that but this essentially reserved your place in line. Then orders were not locked in until May 2015 (IIRC), production for RHD didn't start until August/Sep 2015 with deliveries turning up mid Nov.

Take the above into account and I will be surprised if we see a MY18 order hit the roads in 2017. Could be completely wrong but those are my thoughts.

My prayers go out to those placing a MY18 order :lol:

deep south

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB auto convertible & Citroen C3
If you order an MY17 and it actually is built as an MY18 will Ford try to charge you extra? I know the prices didn't change for the MY17's directly but SYNC3 was the only real change.

I guess Ford need to decide what they will build into the RHD cars, and then work out the impact on the prices. It looks like the 10 speed auto and the LCD dashboard might be "optional" in the US, so if they don't put them in as standard for the RHD's then the price might not change too much.

I guess it all depends on when they update the price list; the latest one doesn't specify "models built before xx-xxx" or similar.

I wonder if you order on (say) 20th April - probably too late for a MY17 to be built, and you might get one of the first MY18's in RHD. But you will have no idea of the detailed spec - same as the first people to order back in 2015!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
If you order an MY17 and it actually is built as an MY18 will Ford try to charge you extra? I know the prices didn't change for the MY17's directly but SYNC3 was the only real change.

I guess Ford need to decide what they will build into the RHD cars, and then work out the impact on the prices. It looks like the 10 speed auto and the LCD dashboard might be "optional" in the US, so if they don't put them in as standard for the RHD's then the price might not change too much.

I guess it all depends on when they update the price list; the latest one doesn't specify "models built before xx-xxx" or similar.

I wonder if you order on (say) 20th April - probably too late for a MY17 to be built, and you might get one of the first MY18's in RHD. But you will have no idea of the detailed spec - same as the first people to order back in 2015!
They really shouldn't, as you're price locked, but if the base price for a MY18 is considerably more, they probably will and claim it's a different model, and if you don't fork up they'll have your deposit back and say bye bye; or source you a cancelled MY17 closer to spec.

We haven't got an order book, brochure etc for MY18, let alone a start of build dates or when it lands for us over here... April could still be risky.

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
I was going to order one at the earliest opportunity, but now I see there are strong rumours that the GT350 may continue until 2020 - which surely means a possible RHD version now that the basic chassis is the same for all S550's? ...... so that's put the brakes on the upgrade plans at the moment.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible

I would be amazed if they don't offer the LCD Dash as a extra, or maybe even as a standard for the Premier Trim. That and the 10 speed box and the active exhaust, are the WOW points of the new car. Would be crazy not to offer at least 2 of them for overseas. Also these 3 WOW points might even get people who have never had a Stang to take a big interest, as the 2015 did
Sponsored