• Total voters

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Haven't seen too much discussion on this topic specifically since the reveal. What are your thoughts and reasons for going Magneride? I researched this a little bit today looking at the Camaro and Corvette Magneride suspension. Reviews seem to be mixed a bit on it being worth it or not, but most people that did option to get it were not let down.

Pros:
Multiple settings for street\track driving.
Arguably more comfortable than regular shocks in "touring" mode making bumps\holes less harsh.
Snow\Ice\Rain conditions easier to drive in.

Cons:
Option cost up front.
Replacement cost.
Regular shocks more than sufficient for the street.

I will probably end up getting Magneride when I get my Mustang with the ability to change on the fly between driving to work versus having a weekend drive with friends on a curvy road and stiffening it up a bit.
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'll have to see it to believe it, but I'd rather have my suspension setup. I test drove a magnaride Camaro. It was nice. Obviously the setup performs in tests. Just... meh, doesn't make me excited. I know I can do better for my application - magna is good for doing better than conventional systems in broad applications.

That said, I cannot stand "electronic" suspension parts. Nobody I know that has this sort of things - father with an MB, friend with a BMW - have a good experience after a few years. They always start failing.

Last edited:

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Taken from Camaro website:

Magna-Ride? No thanks!
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nits-wear.html

check out the comments and experiences of Cadillac owners who have had Magnetic Ride Suspension systems fail in their cars.

I think on a high-end sports car like a Ferrari it makes sense because you want professional level performance without regard for cost, but on a Camaro? Give me a friggin break. A Camaro is a budget performance car - one of the best bangs for the buck. Paying premium prices to fix this kind of suspension, I would argue, isn't appropriate for a Camaro.

If it's just an option: great. Me: I'd opt out.

$400 per shock

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
For me it'll depend on how much difference there is between the settings.

I've been in some German cars with magneride and you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference between comfort and race. At that point it would be completely worthless.

And then I've been in other cars where it was night and day between the modes. Basically went from rolls royce comfort to touring car stiffness. If Ford pulls this off (I highly doubt it) then it'll be worth it!

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I am planning to go with the Magneride. If it was just a street car for me I wouldn't. I take my fun car to track days and auto crosses and as such I want to have a good suspension set up. Nice to be able to get that but also have a cush ride on the road when I want it.

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I want Magner ride 100%, for me the only downside is it sits a little high, so hopefully BMR will release some springs that drop the height a little front and rear without having any impact on ride quality in a negative way and is compatible with the system. :)

ghostnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
I wonder if there's a significant weight penalty for magneride.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
I had the BMW equivalent for 5 years. No performance advantage, maybe performance penalty, particularly when you start changing suspension bits. Does provide an improved ride, however. I'm definitely in the will not purchase camp.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
How much is Ford asking for it as an option?

The GT350 has the Magnaride option and I think it's really nice, but my time in a GT350 is pretty short (only around an autox course a s a passenger a few times). I was very impressed compared to my stock PP shocks and springs. The GT350 felt both more plush / comfortable AND stiffer and more capable. It seemed like a best of both worlds ride.

There's a vendor who is now re-tuning Magnaride systems for customers who want to change the tuning for more performance oriented purposes or to retune for aftermarket suspension bits, but I think the cost for that is like $1k IIRC, but at least it's out there.

I'd probably get it, but I'm a bit of a suspension snob and probably couldn't live with myself if there was a factory handling upgrade and I DIDNT get it.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Until you drive a mustang with magneride you can't judge it. It's night a day different. I love mine! Plus DSC (DSC also makes the controller for ridetech and cortex) now offers a controller to "tune" the magneride.

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Taken from Camaro website:

Magna-Ride? No thanks!
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nits-wear.html

check out the comments and experiences of Cadillac owners who have had Magnetic Ride Suspension systems fail in their cars.

I think on a high-end sports car like a Ferrari it makes sense because you want professional level performance without regard for cost, but on a Camaro? Give me a friggin break. A Camaro is a budget performance car - one of the best bangs for the buck. Paying premium prices to fix this kind of suspension, I would argue, isn't appropriate for a Camaro.

If it's just an option: great. Me: I'd opt out.

$400 per shock
$400 per strut is not bad when you consider aftermarket performance struts. You need to drive a gt350 before you judge the magneride

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
It also isn't just dual mode, it adjusts damping mid corner/bump!

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
That is very true. But I could care less, personally. I would care A LOT if this design was a good derivative of the McLaren 650S's suspension, which is actually "sway bar-less". The stiffer the sway bar, the closer you get to a solid axle (the less independent each wheel is). Magnaride works well because it has some of that effect. I'd rather go all the way.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Until you drive a mustang with magneride you can't judge it. It's night a day different. I love mine! Plus DSC (DSC also makes the controller for ridetech and cortex) now offers a controller to "tune" the magneride.
This!

Only used it in Porsches (PASM), but its absolutely fantastic, soft mode on the street and it rides better than fixed setup. Also great in soft on wet track days.

Then hard for track work or glass like roads to really flatten the car.

Works great on Porsche and my friend who has had a lot of exotica had a GT 350 and could only sing praise for the magnetic ride saying it was as good as Porsche PASM if not better.

For me it is an absolute must option, will transform handling of the floaty currenty GT. :)

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
This thread was destined for three responses.
A. Owns a 15-17 and he/she is mad that it wasn't available before hand so they will bash it.
B. Will be buying it to make it a race car so the magneride will be deleted.
C. Had a BMW, Chevy, etc it sucked then so why would it be better on a mustang.
Sponsored