Sponsored

Pacemaker header install notes.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I thought this might be handy for anyone considering installing headers themselves.

Short version: Just don't do it. Pay someone. Drink beer. Laugh at them. Life is good.

Long version: Whan absolute bitch of a job!
A few points to consider before reading further...
I was doing this with a mechanic on a hoist. Anyone contemplating jack stands at home with limited tools, you are my hero.
Car is a manual (auto is harder apparently, not sure how that's possible :shrug:)
I'm lowering the engine 3/4" so any mention of steering clearance issues probably won't apply to "normal" people.
Final point, other brands may not present the same issues, or could present new ones. No idea sorry.

The process:
I'm skipping removal of the factory exhaust. It's simple enough.
I'm detailing the drivers side only, cos that's the hardest one from what I know so far. A full day under the car, one side done....
Remove anything you need from the boot before disconnecting battery, THEN disconnect battery. Just saying.
Undo 10mm bolts at base of steering column (inside the car) and pull up the assembly (this allows things to move a bit)
Remove as many nuts from top side of factory headers as you can before lifting the car. The furthest one forward on each side is all I coulda mangage. You'll need to push the sound tube out of the way for the passenger side too...
Lift car.
Place stand under sump to support engine.
Remove aluminium bracket for engine mounts and engine mounts.
Remove starter motor.
Remove uni joint in steering column. Mark the surfaces for alignment before doing so.
Proceed to struggle with getting the nuts off the remaining header studs.
Remove the remaining studs once the headers are off, leaving the furthest forward, top stud in place, you'll need this to hang the gasket and headers off.
I found that the gasket kept slipping off as we tried to put the headers into place. I cable tied them to the headers as shown in a coming pic. Simply cut the cable ties once you have a few bolts in place.
CJPP have a video showing how they ran the studs in and out a few times to clean the threads up. I suggest you just run a tap through and be done with it.
We were able to hetman the bottom bolts in without too much fuss, but the top ones are a nightmare. There's no clearance for your hand, you have no line of sight and because the gaskets and headers are slotted on the bottom side, the gasket can fall down a little and prevent the bolt getting started. It sucks.
Once we had the headers in place (HOURS later), the next challenge wwas the reassembly of all the other bits.
THIS PART IS IMPORTANT!
We then went to put the engine mount back into place, only to find that the aluminium cast section won't fit back in the gap with the headers tight...
So, this needs to go loosely into the cavity BEFORE you tighten the headers. You've been told. It sucks to tighten a heap of nuts in shit spots only to find that's you need to undo them and retighten again.
NEXT CHALLENGE:
The starter motor will not fit back into its home as a complete unit. Clearance to the headers is minimal at best.
We found that the only way to get it back in it's slot was to remove the solenoid from the starter motor body. Take extreme care if you're doing this, the plastic parts inside don't look very strong.
Install starter motor, reinstall solenoid.
Then there's the wiring to reconnect. Simple enough, but somehow in some crap spots. :frusty:
LOWERING THE ENGINE
As I said, I've opted to lower the engine 3/4" via some UPR engine mounts.
I selected these because apparently they are the least harsh of the lot.
It's worth pointing out that the factory mounts are fluid filled (they absorb a heap of noise and movement). I'm thinking the UPR items won't do any of that. Time will tell.
As a result of lowering the engine, the headers clash on the steering column. Tomorrow's job is to put a dent in the header tube and provide clearance. I have a selection of persuaders in various sizes for exactly this kind of job.

I didn't keep exact notes on the install so this is simply my recollection of 8 hours of intensive cursing and scraped knuckles. I'm just trying to highlight some of the bullet points in the hope that it helps someone else if they're silly enough to have a go themselves. Ideally they'll be smart enough to just pay someone else...
Apologies if it's not absolutely correct. :cheers:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Typical install position. Hands over head, no visibility, no room.
IMG_1444.jpg

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Cable ties holding gaskets to headers. Note the orientation and position.
You want them on the rear two sections only cos you won't reach them on the front. I used the smallest tie I could to facilitate removal.
IMG_1445.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Note the dent in the header to provide clearance to the body. Pacemaker supply them like this.
IMG_1446.jpg

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Less than 10mm clearance to starter motor
IMG_1449.jpg

Sponsored

MrMustang1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red mustang GT
Great write up Burkey. Glad it was you and not me. When I finaly get my xforce headers I might do as you have mentioned and drink beer and let some one else do the install. Awesome write up mate :)

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up Burkey. Glad it was you and not me. When I finaly get my xforce headers I might do as you have mentioned and drink beer and let some one else do the install. Awesome write up mate :)
Thanks Keith. It's all been done before but I thought I might add a few points of note for those who don't like beer...:eyebulge::cheers:

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
UPR adjustable height mount (via 6mm shims) vs stock
IMG_1443.JPG

stasik-a4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
I wonder if the Kooks UK version ones are having the same issues...?

MrMustang1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red mustang GT
Tell you what those upr mounts look dam good, wonder what the actual difference will be between the uprs and stock.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if the Kooks UK version ones are having the same issues...?
No idea. I think most of the difficulties are inherent to ANY long tube fitment. The variations will be subtle I reckon. Eg, you might not have the starter motor issue or whatever.
It's just a really tight space to be trying to fit big diameter, equal length tubes.

didibabawu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Thank you very much for the write up. I have a quick jack portable car lift at home and was planning to do the header upgrade later this year. Now I will pay someone, drink beer and laugh at them:cheers:

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Good write up mate, so glad I decided on getting an exhaust shop to install my Hurricane Headers. It only took them 3 and a bit hours and wasn't anywhere near as involved in the removal of things. Mine too is a manual and i think they simply remove some steering bracket, starter motor is untouched.

As they designed the headers themselves they have obviously done it in a way which makes installing easier too. Glad you got it done though!

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Can you update regarding whether dropping the engine 3/4" causes any issues with driveline angles? Also, NVH added? I am actually considering dropping my engine .5" if only to experiment if it helps body roll noticeably. I don't think it will, but curious...

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Can you update regarding whether dropping the engine 3/4" causes any issues with driveline angles? Also, NVH added? I am actually considering dropping my engine .5" if only to experiment if it helps body roll noticeably. I don't think it will, but curious...
The car is getting the rest of the exhaust mated up today. Needs a custom section from the cats to where the Magnflow Comp AB finishes.
The only clearance issue presented (so far) with the lower engine height is the clearance to the steering column. Had to modify the tube to fit.
Also, because you're dropping the front of the engine and leaving the gearbox at its normal height, the exhaust runs slightly upward toward the rear of the car.
That's why I dropped the engine BEFORE getting the custom section built, to allow for any change of angles like this.
I'll be sure to report back with any NVH concerns or other issues that may arise.
Sponsored