Sponsored

FI and DI for 2018 5.0L

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Do you guys think the car will get flex fuel capabilities from the factory as well? Like bigger injectors?
Sponsored

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most (possibly all?) factory DI cars have enough headroom in their fuel systems to run e85/flex fuel. No idea if Ford will enable it in stock config, but I would guess not because it'd have been advertised by now?

We can all hope :D

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
guys, when you max out the DI HPFP, you can still add fuel with the port injection system.

with the engine warm most of these systems use the port injection at part load cruising, and the DI system with no PFIat full load, sometimes with a blending of the two in a narrow operating range. depending on the sizing of DI system, there may be some PFI added at the very high rpm range on top of the DI to get enough flow.

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
here's an example of what I'm talking about.

attachment.jpg

look at the right. It is the port injection ratio map for a Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86. Higher number = higher % of port injection. X axis is engine speed, Y axis is mass airflow per engine revolution (more air at a given speed means higher number).

boosted engines tend to be a little different. I haven't seen anything on the new Ecoboost with the PFI + DI, but the VW/Audi boosted engines never run PFI and DI at the same time.
BRZ_injection_timing&split.jpg

OP
OP

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Most (possibly all?) factory DI cars have enough headroom in their fuel systems to run e85/flex fuel. No idea if Ford will enable it in stock config, but I would guess not because it'd have been advertised by now?

We can all hope :D
Well, not all of us, no E85 here................

Sponsored

willfromfreeport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST
guys, when you max out the DI HPFP, you can still add fuel with the port injection system.

with the engine warm most of these systems use the port injection at part load cruising, and the DI system with no PFIat full load, sometimes with a blending of the two in a narrow operating range. depending on the sizing of DI system, there may be some PFI added at the very high rpm range on top of the DI to get enough flow.
This is what we do on the Focus ST with big turbos. The DI runs out of fuel around 370-380whp, so we add PI for more headroom. Good enough to get me to 440whp, and others much more.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd

I recognize your name. You posted over on NASIOC a bit didn't you?

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He's on nasioc, miataturbo, and many other places.
Many of us seem to go through the same cars throughout the years, or at least tuning them :D

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Wonder what the hpfp will handle. Will it be the usual weak spot or will it be stout.
I'll definitely watch how the HPFP's durability is long term. VW and BMW both had big issues with their designs.

I'm guessing the 12.0:1 and DI/PI will push the 3rd gen 5.0L to 465 hp / 430 ft-lbs.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I'll definitely watch how the HPFP's durability is long term. VW and BMW both had big issues with their designs.

I'm guessing the 12.0:1 and DI/PI will push the 3rd gen 5.0L to 465 hp / 430 ft-lbs.
They still do. :lol:

Dont forget injectors. We wont go into the plethora of other issues that are unrelated

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
They still do. :lol:

Dont forget injectors. We wont go into the plethora of other issues that are unrelated
And that right there is why I'll stick with what I have for a while, until all is known with the new and improved 5.0....

Hogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
He's on nasioc, miataturbo, and many other places.
Many of us seem to go through the same cars throughout the years, or at least tuning them :D
Nasioc is a bunch of jackmonkies, Oh wait I came from there too! :D

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I just remember his posts. He has some extreme detail and knowledge. Always enjoyed reading his stuff even though I can't understand 3/4th of it.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT

lexus did DI/PI in the 3.5 liter engines in 2006, highly reliable. BMW was frantic so had to turbo their stuff, and had to run higher fuel pressures to inject into boost. Since it was rushed the X35 engines were really unreliable
Sponsored