OP
OP
chazcron

chazcron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fusion
How I revealed the 2005 Mustang in 2003.

chazcron, I'm curious what your background is. Have you ever worked with any companies on designing parts for Mustangs or other cars? I know some designers like JohnnyGMachine who posts on this site said he does that kind of work so I was just wondering.

If so, would love to see anything you have worked on in the past. The models look great so far :)
I went to school as an illustration major. I landed my first job at a studio with Macintoshes in 1986. I started Photoshop when it landed in 1990. My dad was a car salesmen, but I have never worked in the industry.

I've always been a Mustang fan, my dad sold them since launch, and the first car I drove at age 13 was a '66 Mustang convertible.

I had a dream in 1999 that I had a custom car builder make a modern retro mustang and realized it first in Photoshop, then as a 1:12 scale clay on an RC chassis. When I went to the NAIAS (Detroit auto show) in 2003 and saw the concept, it was surprisingly similar to my clay. I'll have to dig that up.

I started to follow the progress of the 05 Mustang then. I followed on several websites, but the best and most informed members were on bradbarnett.net, which later became themustangsource.com. Spy pix were posted and discussed, but this image, which had been around for months back in mid 2003 intrigued me.

No one had done anything with it, yet it told everything you needed to know about the shape except the tail end. Although it was very low resolution, I created this wireframe from it:

As I did this time, I started with the grille. I began rendering it out as I progressed.

As i got feedback from those who had seen it, I updated it. When someone leaked photos of the camo car with the bras removed, my renders were proven to be accurate, and I finally was able to make an accurate rear clip, you can see on the close up rear shot, I mapped the taillight from the leaked picture (I later modelled it instead.)

Just about 10 years ago, 6 months before it was revealed at NAIAS, I spent $100 to have it 3D printed, which was fairly new at the time. I stole the wheels and grille pony from a 1:18 early 90's Mustang concept diecast. That's how in 2003, I was the only non-Ford employee to have a 1:18 scale 2005 Mustang!

Sponsored

91z28350

Obsessed with Horse Power
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500 - 837 RWHP AND COUNTING
That's pretty kick ass Chaz!

OKCfan

Wow that is very cool chaz. Glad to have you here at M6G!

One thing is for sure, you will be an even bigger legend if you nail the 2015 like you did the 2005. The amount of attention drawn by this site and the next-gen model guarantees that. Let's hope you get some help with more spy pics!

OP
OP
chazcron

chazcron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fusion
Crude screengrab video

I made it green to stand out from the background. The framerate is low, but at least it is something without having to render.

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I made it green to stand out from the background. The framerate is low, but at least it is something without having to render.

Tried and failed to embed youtube video, anyone know how?
This is very cool. You are a heck of a dedicated enthusiast to dedicate such time into this! Excited to see your progress!

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
This is very cool. You are a heck of a dedicated enthusiast to dedicate such time into this! Excited to see your progress!
If you have the time to learn the programs, you can do this for free. GIMP and Blender 3D are free programs but take time to learn.

Once your seasoned with the program, your only limited to imagination. Each project makes you better, that's how these guys get hooked. Its not easy at first, but you get faster and better as time goes on. These guys have almost 10 years in judging by the art and talent. Most have a great understanding of current industry trends and historical Mustang styling.

If its something your interested in, and the site eventually developes... We should start a thread in Off Topic on how to start vehicle design with school info and so on. We can continue to visually guide the Mustang through this generation and teach other members how to use the programs.

A Mustang6G design team... There will be lots to do this generation, especially when the '17 Camaro arrives.

When I get home in a few days, I will get with J and the lead designers and work something out. We can continue our ideas after the reveal... I will throw a thread together, something entertaining and visually fun, and let everyone continue to evolve the S550.

MYs197

Very cool chaz.

Pill, sounds like a good idea to me. We already have some amazing resident M6g pro designers here. I wanna see what the armchair designers out there can do. Some of them sure talk a big talk ;)

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
chaz,

Hello from a fellow Cincinnatian! I loved seeing the work you did on the '05s way back when. Hard to believe it's been 9 years. Thanks for posting the new stuff.

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If you have the time to learn the programs, you can do this for free. GIMP and Blender 3D are free programs but take time to learn.

Once your seasoned with the program, your only limited to imagination. Each project makes you better, that's how these guys get hooked. Its not easy at first, but you get faster and better as time goes on. These guys have almost 10 years in judging by the art and talent. Most have a great understanding of current industry trends and historical Mustang styling.

If its something your interested in, and the site eventually developes... We should start a thread in Off Topic on how to start vehicle design with school info and so on. We can continue to visually guide the Mustang through this generation and teach other members how to use the programs.

A Mustang6G design team... There will be lots to do this generation, especially when the '17 Camaro arrives.

When I get home in a few days, I will get with J and the lead designers and work something out. We can continue our ideas after the reveal... I will throw a thread together, something entertaining and visually fun, and let everyone continue to evolve the S550.
I must say this is interesting. I have a pretty terrible ability to draw, how does that translate into this kind of work on a computer? I work 12 hour days, sometimes I have no free time and others I have a lot of down time. This could be a fun way to help pass my slow days. I'm interested in learning more.

Sponsored

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
I must say this is interesting. I have a pretty terrible ability to draw, how does that translate into this kind of work on a computer? I work 12 hour days, sometimes I have no free time and others I have a lot of down time. This could be a fun way to help pass my slow days. I'm interested in learning more.
GIMP is relatively easy to use, and is the program that I do all my work with. Download it HERE. I can link you to a place that has some basic skills outlined, if you want.

Lavien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
It seems like we already have a very skilled design team here. If other people's skills are anything like mine, I don't think we'll help much :)

chazcron, were these the leaked CAD files you were talking about?

That's gotta be a once in a lifetime type of leak.

zerot

Man you guys are talented. Thanks for this.

I can't wait for the next spy shots to flesh this out some more. It's possible the design will change some more. We won't know for sure until we see a front end that is finished/painted.

J.Darcy

So cool. it's like watching your baby be born little by little :)
Sponsored