Sponsored

2018 5.0L = Dual Injectors: Direct + Port = Confirmed

jApOrMs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt A6
Is this fact?? Do you have a link or confirmation??
I would ABSOLUTELY HATE this on a Mustang.

^^Amen brother!!!! :thumbsup:
:cheers:
Drove a fusion with start stop feature. You can deactivate it if you don't want it. So i'll take it
Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Drove a fusion with start stop feature. You can deactivate it if you don't want it. So i'll take it
Yeah,....but on a Mustang?!?! WHY?!?! I'm not happy about it, but I would still buy a Mustang over the Hellcat or Z06 and Camaro. (Although the Z06 would be a very close second.)
I think my buddy just hits the SPORT button on the dash of his 2015 F150 and it automatically disables it as well. Maybe once you put the car into SPORT (S) mode, it will automatically disable as well. That would be good.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
EVERY time you drive it? If so, NO WAY:doh:

At least make it permanently def-eatable say with the perf package on the GT.
Will be very few cars that this combo affects and give me another reason to get PP.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
My E92 M3 has it. However it defaults to off while other non M cars default is on. I am sure it can be coded to off by default. My wife's 2017 Ford Escape with the 2.0 motor has it, if you put it in sport mode it turns it off.

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
probably be able to turn off start-stop with some kind of aftermarket programmer. unlikely you can do it permanently in stock form; you'll have to hit the button every time you start the car.

Sponsored

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
With an increase in MPG's and HP..... I hope that Ford is not planning on using Active Fuel Management. Something that's currently being used on Camaro SS and Challenger V8's.... Cylinder de-activation would be a deal breaker for me..... despite the fact that it can be 'tuned-out'..... it just changes an entire valve train.

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
With an increase in MPG's and HP..... I hope that Ford is not planning on using Active Fuel Management. Something that's currently being used on Camaro SS and Challenger V8's.... Cylinder de-activation would be a deal breaker for me..... despite the fact that it can be 'tuned-out'..... it just changes an entire valve train.
So here's the thing.

Cylinder deactivation on a pushrod engine is cheap. You just deactivate the lifters in the block with a little spring thingie inside (very technical term there, you still with me?). In that way, it's almost a no brainer because it's pretty simple. You just write the software to control it and do an NVH countermeasure. Here is a diagram on a Hemi:

attachment.png

The GM system is similar. You think AFM on a 2 valve changes a valvetrain? Look at a DOHC engine. On a DOHC engine, you need a bunch of switchable finger followers or other such parts, like Audi or Honda uses. It's a lot more complicated and expensive. Here is a diagram on the Audi 4.0 twin turbo V8:

attachment.png

In this case there's a sliding mechanism on the camshaft.

So the Ford V8's are much closer to this Audi, and so the cost and complexity is a big concern, especially if you are trying to put a gazillion of these things in F150's. You might see a high end 6 cylinder with cylinder deactivation, like the new 3.0 twin turbo in Lincoln products.
Audi_valve_deactivation.png
Hemi_valve_deactivation.png

Reactions: H6G

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Would the deactivation feature cause some cylinders to wear out waaay earlier than the others (due to the passive cylinders doing nothing and the active ones handling more load)?

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
only if the guys who designed it are idiots and the durability team let them get away with it

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Cylinder deactivation and auto engine start stop is not a bad idea if they are activated by pressing a button called ECO or something. But default settings should be normal with no cylinder deactivation and auto engine start stop.

Sponsored

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Cylinder deactivation and start/stop mean WE GET TO KEEP BUYING THESE TYPES OF CARS.

Can no one get that? It isn't difficult. CAFE = Corporate *AVERAGE* Fuel Economy, meaning every vehicle factors... but oh man, you might have to push a button! I'm sure Haiti will pour one out for your troubles, there.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
You mean like the guys at gm that have issues for long term durability with it :lol:
Nope never heard of a DoD lifter failure on a GM V8 with AFM....
:lol:
That's the only thing that bothers me about picking up my scat pack this weekend. I love everything about it but the AFM.

Hated the AFM on my G8 and tuned it out very quickly.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Cylinder deactivation and start/stop mean WE GET TO KEEP BUYING THESE TYPES OF CARS.

Can no one get that? It isn't difficult. CAFE = Corporate *AVERAGE* Fuel Economy, meaning every vehicle factors... but oh man, you might have to push a button! I'm sure Haiti will pour one out for your troubles, there.
Only due to CAFE being forced on us by the gov't. It's certainly no death knell to civilization if CAFE is repealed to something reasonable (and hopefully, that's exactly what the current admin does).

And no, it's only important to Ford to keep selling cars. I can survive the rest of my life on the cars I have now, easily.
Sponsored