Sponsored

Whats with all the raspy exhaust systems??

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT PP, 1986 Buick GN
Hello everyone. Like everyone else I love my GT but agree that the fac exhaust is way to quiet. I have been trolling you tube and this forum listening to all different exhausts from companies and designs (X,H). One thing I cannot understand and will not purchase is an exhaust that sounds like metal is rattling around. I do not understand why so many of them for the s550 do it. Alot of them sound fantastic at idle but once the car opens up its sounds like a 4cylinder import :doh:. It cannot possibly be the motor design, could it? As of now I am looking at the solo for possible purchase. I dont want something stupid loud either, good street manners. I am curious if a H pipe and GT500 mufflers would be raspy??

Ralph
Sponsored

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
It is, in fact the motor. It's just the way coyotes sound. H pipe exhausts will tame some and resonators also kill rasp. My ARH catback is not raspy at all, and neither is the MRT. I've heard a couple solo exhaust catback and they all sound fantastic. I'd strongly suggest a solo catback for the best bang for buck. Well made, fit great, great sound, good price.

OP
OP

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is, in fact the motor. It's just the way coyotes sound. H pipe exhausts will tame some and resonators also kill rasp. My ARH catback is not raspy at all, and neither is the MRT. I've heard a couple solo exhaust catback and they all sound fantastic. I'd strongly suggest a solo catback for the best bang for buck. Well made, fit great, great sound, good price.
I thought the MRT and ARH sounded great as well. I also heard the Kooks cat back and was impressed but once they opened up the car it just sounded horrible to me. I miss the old 5.0 days.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
The S550 will sound a little different due to changes in the motor firing order of the S197. But this should be close. [ame]

Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
bathe in the delicious corsa xtreme rasp... nothing like a trex

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The S550 will sound a little different due to changes in the motor firing order of the S197. But this should be close.
There is no change in firing order from the S197 Coyote to the S550 Coyote. There is a difference to the older modular motors, however.

OP,
It's mostly just how the engine sounds, mostly from firing order and the Tri-Y header design. I'm not hearing 4 cylinder import in any of the aftermarket exhausts for the GT :shrug::confused:.

Borla S-type Catback:
[ame]
[ame]

OP
OP

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the video. Maybe its the video's and the recording devices being used thats makes it sound bad to me. I do not know any local gt owners that I can listen to. Your Corsa is an Axle back?? Or cat back>?
thanks!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the video. Maybe its the video's and the recording devices being used thats makes it sound bad to me. I do not know any local gt owners that I can listen to. Your Corsa is an Axle back?? Or cat back>?
thanks!
Yeah, you really have to hear them in person. The Borla is very throaty and deep. It does have a little rasp, but again, videos make it sound worse.

Mine's just the axleback. That definitely helps with rasp as the resonator does a decent job of attenuating it.

This is mine. The mic is a cheap $8 one, so it both misses the deeper tones and makes it sound quite a bit raspier than it is. It's placed on the bumper in this video:
[ame]

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This is much, much closer to what it sounds like in person:
[ame]
and
[ame]

Sponsored

Fausted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
GT Prem
I couldn't stand the stock exhaust being so quiet as well.. So for now, until I decide on an exhaust system (Very picky, wanting a very deep sound... and very little rasp) I had the mufflers deleted and kept the resonator ... and to be honest, I really love the sound.

It's loud enough, but not obnoxious .. but a very nice deep tone, and minimal rasp. Only costed $160 with tips included in the price.

So until I decide on a system (MBRP Race system is currently the top choice right now) i'm enjoying the muffler delete.

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
One thing to keep in mind, many of those deeper sounding exhausts come with a little bit of drone around cruising RPMs. I had some Pypes catbacks in my 2013 GT that sounded very good outside of the drone. At certain interstate speeds I'd drop it into 5th just to get the RPMs up enough to stop it.

I didn't mind it too much, just thought it sucked I couldn't have my pie and eat it too.

I've learned to like the raspier exhaust notes, heck I might even like it a little more. To each his own, obviously, I just wanted to drop in and mention that you might want to do some research into whatever exhaust system you're looking at to see if it drones. For many people its a deal breaker and I'd hate for you to find out after you purchase some and go through the trouble of installing them.

AlexhadanM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Blue
I like my setup. No drone or anything. Would you consider this raspy?

Roush axle back the first clip then Roush axle back + Ford racing x pipe the second clip

[ame]

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550

Longtubes, hybrid X/H setup, catless, with GT500 mufflers.

Great noise. No drone.

Ritchie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any old shite.
I must have watched 100 youtube clips trying to find an exhaust that doesn't have that machine gun raspiness higher up the revs.
The best one I think is the Solo Mach XV, I think the "J" Pipes must have something to do with it.
It sounds smooth with no rasp, it's what I'm going for, so far anyway.
Sponsored