Sponsored

Opinions on BBK Varitune?

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
I have a 16 GT with an MRT H-Pipe and stock mufflers. Looking for more volume, but nothing insane.

The BBK Varitune can be adjusted.

Wondering if anyone has experience with one and what the drone is like.

Thanks!
Sponsored

WRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR 2015 GT Premium
Love mine. Stock resonator with no drone. I bought it thinking i would adjust it to a middle position, but full open sounds just right! Only con is the tips, they look a little on the cheap side, so I put on 4" flowmaster double wall angle cut tips as replacements.

hawk232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white GT premium
i have the mrt h pipe as well and my varitune and pmas will be arriving tuesday!! i can let you know after that how it sounds with the h pipe

OP
OP
Jdenkevitz

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went ahead and ordered the varitune. I should have it installed this weekend and will report on it afterwards.

OP
OP
Jdenkevitz

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found the axle back at my door after work (Ordered Wednesday morning delivered Today from AM). Snowing outside so closed the garage and 4 hours later have it installed.

Sawzall under the car was a bit of a pain, wish I had a lift. In any case, its a real deep old school tone with this axle back/h-pipe combo.

I took it for a brief drive (snow and PP tires are asking for trouble, but couldn't resist). Sounded great.
Once the weather is better will see how it is at highway speeds.

Sponsored

hawk232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white GT premium
excited to see how it sounds!! im a bit jealous, i ordered mine from beefcake on Saturday and it will not be here until tuesday :( oh well, glad you like it!

OP
OP
Jdenkevitz

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
excited to see how it sounds!! im a bit jealous, i ordered mine from beefcake on Saturday and it will not be here until tuesday :( oh well, glad you like it!
I did a bunch of test drives today.

I think the combo of the H-Pipe with the Varitune may be a bit much in terms of deep rumble, especially when the valve is opened.

When the valve is open, experiencing drone around 1900-2100 rpm. A particularly deep resonance frequency in the cabin.

When closed, its much more manageable.

If I opened it about a third, the drone is there.

Im pretty pleased with how it sounds closed.

I will live with it for awhile, and maybe reinstall the stock resonator to see how that sounds.

Hawk let me know what you experience.

OP
OP
Jdenkevitz

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BBK Varitune with MRT H-Pipe. BBK Closed position:

[ame]

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, you won't get used to it. The deep tones permeate into the cabin more than all others. I'd drive it for about 100 miles and if it doesn't get better, it won't. My previous system got old with the slight drone from 1500-2500 rpm. I'm very sensitive and actually got mild headaches.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jdenkevitz

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, you won't get used to it. The deep tones permeate into the cabin more than all others. I'd drive it for about 100 miles and if it doesn't get better, it won't. My previous system got old with the slight drone from 1500-2500 rpm. I'm very sensitive and actually got mild headaches.
What system/combo was that?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

hawk232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white GT premium
ok got mine installed as well. I will say this to address the comment about fit. The fit is totally dependent on the installer, there are 3 connections (pipe to h pipe, pipe to muffler and muffler to tip) and each one is adjustable. the fit on mine is as good as stock and i could probably fit it even better.

sounds good and is very very deep... VERY deep... the drone is definitely present at 1500-1800 rpms but only during accleration (cruising at those rpms produces little drone). overall, i am not sure how i feel about it... i will report back after a couple of weeks use.

OP
OP
Jdenkevitz

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ok got mine installed as well. I will say this to address the comment about fit. The fit is totally dependent on the installer, there are 3 connections (pipe to h pipe, pipe to muffler and muffler to tip) and each one is adjustable. the fit on mine is as good as stock and i could probably fit it even better.

sounds good and is very very deep... VERY deep... the drone is definitely present at 1500-1800 rpms but only during accleration (cruising at those rpms produces little drone). overall, i am not sure how i feel about it... i will report back after a couple of weeks use.
I was experiencing the same drone. It was almost headache inducing. All other RPM was fine, and the tone had a really classic muscle car sound, more so than any other aftermarket system ive heard.

However, I ended up reinstalling my factory resonator.
No drone. Much quieter. Will see how this goes.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I was experiencing the same drone. It was almost headache inducing. All other RPM was fine, and the tone had a really classic muscle car sound, more so than any other aftermarket system ive heard.

However, I ended up reinstalling my factory resonator.
No drone. Much quieter. Will see how this goes.
Consider the Borla resonator or a resonated X-pipe to tame the drone but increase the volume a bit. Borla resonator is a 2 dB increase over the stock one.
Sponsored