jumby

jumby

Master Cat Herder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 300C Luxury
DAY 2 - Carnarvon to Broome

Thanks folks for the best wishes - yep it was a long leg today. Have done this leg before so i knew what i was in for, not ideal but i wanted to get a couple of nights in at Broome. A positive is the lack of traffic and police so i was able to open it up abit to make up some time.

Departed at 445am and decided to break that cardinal sin of driving at dawn- always more risk of finding wildlife but the only animal i spotted was a goat or three. It was a good chance to try out the highbeams on a country road and very impressed with their distance and brightness, as well as being able to adjust the light angle to suit the road is a real bonus.

When picking up the highway speed the mustang hunkers right down and gets to work - the car sits very well on the road and the steering is very precise with very little under or over steer. Any noticeable bonnet flutter stops above 125km/ hour. Got to overtake some proper road trains today and i have to say its awsome fun though you do have to watch the acceleration as this beastie can really get up and tango.

Did have one hiccup at a coles express servo - went to unlock the car using touch switch and it kept locking - had to use key to get in. When the pony started the nav went offline and asked for SD card and a powerdown of the car resolved this problem. Wasnt able to replicate this issue for the rest of today so hopefully a one off.

450 kms south of Broome found me at the only servo with only 91 ULP so it was an impromtue opportunity to see how the mustang would fare. Interestingly, there was no noticeable reduction in performance or fuel consumption and ran happily all the way into Broome.

Driving around town drew a heap of interest as apparently there are no local mustangs ( so i was reliably informed by the chicken treat drive thru girl.)Everytime i parked I would come back to a small crowd lol.

Well its now a day of local sight seeing (after some car washing) before the leg to Kunanurra on Thursday.

Cheers Glynn

Sponsored

OP
OP
jumby

jumby

Master Cat Herder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 300C Luxury
Mate nice work, subbed. Shame didn't know you were going, could've lent you a GoPro and car mount to capture the trip. Subbed and looking forward to next installment. Be safe.
Was thinking about that today - would be aweomw to capture some live stuff - might see if i can pick one up in darwin

CasperGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
GT Black Fastback (Drake)
DAY 2 - Carnarvon to Broome

Thanks folks for the best wishes - yep it was a long leg today. Have done this leg before so i knew what i was in for, not ideal but i wanted to get a couple of nights in at Broome. A positive is the lack of traffic and police so i was able to open it up abit to make up some time.

Departed at 445am and decided to break that cardinal sin of driving at dawn- always more risk of finding wildlife but the only animal i spotted was a goat or three. It was a good chance to try out the highbeams on a country road and very impressed with their distance and brightness, as well as being able to adjust the light angle to suit the road is a real bonus.

When picking up the highway speed the mustang hunkers right down and gets to work - the car sits very well on the road and the steering is very precise with very little under or over steer. Any noticeable bonnet flutter stops above 125km/ hour. Got to overtake some proper road trains today and i have to say its awsome fun though you do have to watch the acceleration as this beastie can really get up and tango.

Did have one hiccup at a coles express servo - went to unlock the car using touch switch and it kept locking - had to use key to get in. When the pony started the nav went offline and asked for SD card and a powerdown of the car resolved this problem. Wasnt able to replicate this issue for the rest of today so hopefully a one off.

450 kms south of Broome found me at the only servo with only 91 ULP so it was an impromtue opportunity to see how the mustang would fare. Interestingly, there was no noticeable reduction in performance or fuel consumption and ran happily all the way into Broome.

Driving around town drew a heap of interest as apparently there are no local mustangs ( so i was reliably informed by the chicken treat drive thru girl.)Everytime i parked I would come back to a small crowd lol.

Well its now a day of local sight seeing (after some car washing) before the leg to Kunanurra on Thursday.

Cheers Glynn

Love this shot Glynn, a real gem! :headbang: was looking forward to your next update... Didn't disappoint :eyebulge:

Sponsored

Sturty91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Manual
Unreal photos mate

OP
OP
jumby

jumby

Master Cat Herder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 300C Luxury
Day 4 - Broome to Kununurra 1000 ish Kms

Well the rain finally caught up with us today - left Broome at 0700 and it was already pelting down. A low from the east had pushed across overnight and arrived at 3am this morning - made life interesting with having an outside toilet and shower LOL.

All the roads thru to Kununurra were listed as open but I had to negotiate about 15 floodway crossings - mostly a few inches deep but I did have one at 1.5 feet. Being a heavy car certainly pays off with this situation but due to the front spoiler I pretty much slowed down to about 15KM to be on the safe side, sacrificing some travel time.

After about 4 hours of driving the weather picked up and so did the roads so it was Hammer Time and we got to some serious driving. Fitzroy crossing servo stop was absolute chaos with the locals and the only place that had food - awesome entertainment to say the least.

Something interesting - I've had nearly uninterrupted phone coverage since I left Perth, a real surprise as I wasn't expecting it. There are some decent toilet stops nowadays as well - though ensure you have a good supply of loo paper as these ones rarely get restocked.

Just out of Halls Creek I had a v8 4WD pull out in front of me and attempted to leave me in his dust - well for the next 3 hours I had the best fun chasing him down the road, didn't matter what he tried I was never more than a few car lengths behind and it was a great opportunity to test the handling on the increasingly winding road - yet again I was amazed with the results.

Arrived in Kununarra at about 1620 pm so made up some great time and arrived at my accommodation - so much for the secure parking they promised me - it was a spot on the roadside outside of the complex and needless to say I wasn't impressed. Needless to say they had already charged my room and refused to refund, so after a tanty i drove down the road to the Country Club Resort and its secure parking. Its not a bad spot to stay and the food and barstaff are outstanding.

Tomorrow will be a shorter drive of about 700 km so I might take a detour down thru Litchfield Park for some more scenic pics. Apologies for only 2 pics today as I was a little strapped for time.

Till tomorrow - cheers
Glynn

CasperGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
GT Black Fastback (Drake)
Glynn, its fantastic being able to follow your trip. Love the write-ups! :headbang: Your car holds well in the pics as far as looking clean all of the time. Must be that yellow hides yellowish dust better :shrug:

Can't wait for the next update... Its like we are your cheer squad..lol

Loved the bit about the v8 fourby... That would of been great fun and break up the driving routine nicely. :ford::first:

Thanks for the pics :eyebulge:

Your a legend :hail:

russ16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs 1965 2016
If you have time stop in at the Adelaide River pub for a barra lunch and cold beer. Well worth it.

Enjoying the reports.

Sponsored

Myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Great read!

You must be driving around with lots of quick detailer on hand. Give us a front shot of the bug kills. :)

noboot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Saf
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
Fantastic and interesting reading I must say. Keep it coming.

dtdazza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT TY
Have an awesome journey!
Trip of a lifetime :D
Sponsored