Sponsored

X-pipe too extreme for DD

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
After spending 2 days with my newly installed FRP x-pipe, I think I may have went overboard and this might just be a tad extreme for a DD. Other than 6th gear, it is just way too loud in the cabin.

My question is would soundproofing the cabin floor help? Or should I just swap out the exhaust at this point? I ask because the car is def breathing better with the supercharger and I would like to keep it if I could manage the cabin noise a bit.
Sponsored

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
funny, it made hardly any difference with stock mufflers...How is it with the Roush axle back? When you say too loud...is there drone? Hum? Vibration?

Randy954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Pp
Its most likely your roush axle back. I have the Corsa sport with the x pipe and with normal driving i barely notice it. Now when its WOT it screams and is louder than my previous exhaust which also was installed with an x pipe. I think alot of the sound you'll hear in the cabin will be because of the muffler design. I say this because on my old exhaust it was pretty loud in the cabin even though its not as loud as the Corsa overall.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Like every one else has said it's the axle back that's too extreme without the stock resonator. Different axle bad or put the stock resonator back on if it's too loud.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
I'm in the same boat. Looking to change out my AB's, just too much.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the same boat. Looking to change out my AB's, just too much.
Grab the SLP LM2 if you want to keep very close to the same sound but lower the volume, and I hear the Pypes Pro Touring is similar. Otherwise I'd spring for the Corsa Touring axleback.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's your roush axleback.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Definitely the axle-back. My employee has an nearly identical GT/PP to mine, and just swapped in a Ford Racing X-Pipe and Roush axle-back. It's LOUD. Way too loud for a DD, and my S197 had MAC Boom Tubes, as a DD.

JR

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
Used sound deadening material on my 15 STI and it did little to help anything (and I did the entire trunk, rear quarters and deck lid). Effectively maybe reduced sound by 10-15% while adding 25lbs or more. Do not go down that road.

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Ive said it in other posts and Ill say it here, if you like the sound of your exhaust setup but its a little too loud or a little too raspy, toss some bullet mufflers/resonators in after the X and you will love it again! I thought the same thing you did about my X pipe with Corsa Sport axleback. Now with two 12" Vibrant resonators welded in (these are short, you can get longer bullet mufflers even if you please) it quieted down PERFECTLY and knocked out the nasty upper RPM rasp. I now love my exhaust! I would try that out before I swapped axlebacks UNLESS you just dont like the sound of the axleback. I have all of $120 in adding those two straight thru, glass pack style resonators in on my setup.

Matt

Sponsored

toLerancia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG 5.0L GT PREMIUM 2015 RED
Grab the SLP LM2 if you want to keep very close to the same sound but lower the volume, and I hear the Pypes Pro Touring is similar. Otherwise I'd spring for the Corsa Touring axleback.
I agree get loudmouth 2's... I can't believe they aren't well known by the community.

I think if you install loudmouth 2 adding an X-pipe is a must for it to sound close to what the op wants ..will fix his & other roush user noise tolerance issues. Roush must sound great for people at start but then gets old & tired because its to loud I guess.

BTW Did they stopped selling SLPS LMII'S? AM no longer has then for sell.

Ray@Evolution

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Vehicle(s)
2016 roush charged mustang gt. 720/631
Likely more to do with the roush mufflers. I have a full exhaust with no cats and race mufflers. Not that bothersome. If you wanna pm me or fred@evolution we can try to help get you a solution. If it's easier you can give us a call at the shop.
After spending 2 days with my newly installed FRP x-pipe, I think I may have went overboard and this might just be a tad extreme for a DD. Other than 6th gear, it is just way too loud in the cabin.

My question is would soundproofing the cabin floor help? Or should I just swap out the exhaust at this point? I ask because the car is def breathing better with the supercharger and I would like to keep it if I could manage the cabin noise a bit.

Ray@Evolution

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Vehicle(s)
2016 roush charged mustang gt. 720/631
Used sound deadening material on my 15 STI and it did little to help anything (and I did the entire trunk, rear quarters and deck lid). Effectively maybe reduced sound by 10-15% while adding 25lbs or more. Do not go down that road.

Yeah that's really not the greatest course of action. Almost better to swap the roush out honestly. Or give it a few more days and make sure you don't like it. Lol

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for the great info everyone. Never occurred to me that it was the axelback and not the x-pipe. Back to the drawing board but at least I know there's a solution.

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
funny, it made hardly any difference with stock mufflers...How is it with the Roush axle back? When you say too loud...is there drone? Hum? Vibration?
A little bit of everything. Above 3k RPMs, it overtakes the cabin that you can't even hear your radio cranked all the way up.
Sponsored