Sponsored

Roll bar - Watson Racing vs Cooltech

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350/2008 Saab TurboX SC
I'm in the shopping process for a roll bar. I do 4-6 trackdays/summer and want something bolt on so I can go back to a "4 seater" to bring the kids all over the place for their multiple activities.

Being able to keep the rear seat on is a big plus for the Cooltech, but I need to remove the bar anyways to carry the kids. I dont mind removing the seat to install/uninstall for every track day.

Price is a plus for the Watson one. I could also get their RSD to make it look clean for the track days for the same price as the Cooltech.

So selling point is the way they are fixed to the car. WR is a direct bolt-on as opposed to the Cooltech (bolts in "pods" that are bolted to car).

What are you guys thinking? I'm in no rush since I'm storing the car tomorrow :doh: for the winter.

On a side note, is it possible to modify the stock Recaros to be able to run a 5 or 6 point harness (creating a channel in the seat cushion and bolting/welding the anchor points?). I want to keep the car as stock as possible and dont want to drive arround in a race seat with harness all the time while not at the track. Otherwise I'll go with a Sparco 4 point harness.

Thanks for your inputs!
Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
For the harness I'd recommend a Schroth 4 point ASM harness. In and accident the shoulder harness "give" so that your chest goes forward slightly. This is so you don't slide under the lap belt.

I'm running this on my car and many other cars in the past. Works really well.

The only way I'd run a 6 point a with a race seat, HANS device and deactivated airbag system.

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
I went with the Watson ... I have no experience with the CoolTech. I'm sure both can do the job although I hope I don't ever really test that theory. I will say I wouldn't want to have to remove either one of them though. You could remove the Watson to reinstall the back seats but it would be a pretty big pain in the butt in my opinion.

OP
OP
kart125

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For the harness I'd recommend a Schroth 4 point ASM harness. In and accident the shoulder harness "give" so that your chest goes forward slightly. This is so you don't slide under the lap belt.

I'm running this on my car and many other cars in the past. Works really well.

The only way I'd run a 6 point a with a race seat, HANS device and deactivated airbag system.
I have a 4 point Schroth Quickfit Pro with ASM technology right now but would like to switch to a wrap-arround setup once roll bar is installed. I dont see a 4 point wrap arround Schroth available on their site. What model are you running? Where did you get it? Thanks for your input on race seat. It's a possibility I'm considering (already tried out a couple of models at my local distributor).

OP
OP
kart125

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 4 point Schroth Quickfit Pro with ASM technology right now but would like to switch to a wrap-arround setup once roll bar is installed. I dont see a 4 point wrap arround Schroth available on their site. What model are you running? Where did you get it? Thanks for your input on race seat. It's a possibility I'm considering (already tried out a couple of models at my local distributor).
OK I just looked at Schroth site again and saw the Profi II 4 point harness. Is it easy to install (i guess the eyelets have to be drilled through the floor)? Can you still run the OEM seatbelt to use when harness is out?

Last edited:

Sponsored

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
Ford uses the Watson in their Track Attack cars. If it's good enough for them (and their lawyers) then it's good enough for me.

OP
OP
kart125

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford uses the Watson in their Track Attack cars. If it's good enough for them (and their lawyers) then it's good enough for me.
Good point! Are they using Schroth harnesses also?

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
OK I just looked at Schroth site again and saw the Profi II 4 point harness. Is it easy to install (i guess the eyelets have to be drilled through the floor)? Can you still run the OEM seatbelt to use when harness is out?
https://www.schrothracing.com/products/profi-ii-asm#1597
The lap belt hooks up to the same bolt that is for the oem clicker on your right.

Then the left hooks into the oem torx bolt that goes into your b pillar.

It's behind the carpet on the bottom. I have a diy thread I posted that's similar instructions.

You can run then oem belt no problem.

Tat2bass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT350
I have the Watson and it is really nice. But it is definitely not something I would want to remove very often. It is not exactly an easy in and out thing. With a lift and a friend, I would say it probably takes 3-4 hours to put in or to take out. Perhaps quicker if you do it more often and start to get the hang of it. Just be sure to take your time and check and recheck before drilling into the rear floor for the rear legs.

Sponsored

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Good timing on your question. I was thinking on putting in roll bar as well.

Can we get some photos of install?

OP
OP
kart125

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good timing on your question. I was thinking on putting in roll bar as well.

Can we get some photos of install?
There are some specific threads on Cooltech and Watson with pictures inside. No thread was comparing the 2. I think they are the 2 best bolt-in options besides getting a custom one made locally. There is a guy about 45 minutes from my place who does a great job and he even did a GT350 but it's a soldiered option and not a bolt on option. I've been going back and forth between the 2 but the argument that Ford went with Watson is quite solid. I contacted Watson to get a shipping quote to Canada (ouch!!) and I will decide then when they reply.

OP
OP
kart125

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Watson and it is really nice. But it is definitely not something I would want to remove very often. It is not exactly an easy in and out thing. With a lift and a friend, I would say it probably takes 3-4 hours to put in or to take out. Perhaps quicker if you do it more often and start to get the hang of it. Just be sure to take your time and check and recheck before drilling into the rear floor for the rear legs.
I might end up leaving it in. I have another DD that I can take the kids in... just less fun!

Cortex had a great option where you could remove the harness bar when not in use, making the back seat accessible, but it's been discontinued.

OP
OP
kart125

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.schrothracing.com/products/profi-ii-asm#1597
The lap belt hooks up to the same bolt that is for the oem clicker on your right.

Then the left hooks into the oem torx bolt that goes into your b pillar.

It's behind the carpet on the bottom. I have a diy thread I posted that's similar instructions.

You can run then oem belt no problem.
Thanks for the link and tips. More of an esthetic question but which color bar/harness did you go with? Was thinking grey bar/black harness to go with magnetic car...

I'll search the forum for the DIY on the 4-point harness.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
[MENTION=26762]kart125[/MENTION] Have you considered a HARNESS BAR Easier install and removal, less investment and serves the same purpose, provides a harness attachment point.
Also allows easy attachment for a seat back brace so you are not relying on the factory reclining mechanism when you cinch the harness up.
Don't run a 6PT harness without a Fixed back racing seat, the factory seat does not have the structure for it.
12022427_1096953630335408_3184544188627284230_o.jpg
980087_1096953283668776_3405558564322443220_o.jpg
Harness Bar 3.jpg
Harness Clip.jpg
Sponsored