SPRING RATES & DROPS: ALL IN ONE THREAD!!

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered myself a pair of these today. Hoping they help with the front end pogo stick bounce as well as the little bit of drop.

Just installed mine last week :) even though I won't be driving it for a while. It's in hibernation so I've started ripping her apart and modding [emoji106]

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you look at the rear suspension you'll notice the spring is pretty far inboard ... The control arm will have more leverage to compress the spring. Need higher spring rate.
It is what [MENTION=16770]MtnBiker[/MENTION] said - leverage.

A coilover with the spring around the shock (and located on the LCA but much closer to the wheel) would have a spring rate closer to that used at the front.
Thanks for the explanation fellas; It makes sense now.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! How is the stance?

Unfortunately I won't know for a while. It's on my lift ripped apart doing all sorts of mods and I'm stuck waiting for parts to come in [emoji37]

Budnr22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Oxford - Tech Pack
can we get this promoted to sticky thread - lots of great info

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Eibach Sportline Kit or steeda linear? Opinions?
I have had both, and my car is currently on Sportlines. I prefer the drop of the Sportlines to the Ultralite linears. The drop on the Steeda front springs isn't enough, IMO, and the front still looks like it has more wheel gap than in the rear. The drop-front and rear-on the Sportlines is perfect, IMO. The Ultralites also fit awkwardly, and the upper strut mount sits crooked even when installed properly. No issues whatsoever with the installation of the Sportlines. As for the ride with the Ultralite linear springs, I would say that it's probably a little stiffer than the Sportlines at low speeds (less than 30), but after that, the Sportlines firm up and the handling is fantastic.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hi there

I thought it might be a good idea to compile all the spring rates of the springs of the market all in one place, I shall keep this original post updated so people don't need to read all the replies.

So far I have compiled these from reading many threads on this great forum. :)

Front/Rear

GT: 160 / 668
GT PP: 165/728
BMR Performance: 170/740 (1.2" F / 0.5" R)
BMR Handling: 300/980 (1.2" F / 0.50" R)
BMR Drag: 150/800 (1.2" F / 0.5" R)
Steeda Sport Linear: 198/874 (1" F / 0.95" R)
Steeda Ultralite Linear: 198/874 (1.20" F / 1.05" R)
CJPP: 182-217 / 799 (1.5" F / 1" R)
Eibach Pro Kit: 200-314 / 800-914 (1.1" F / 1.0" R)
Eibach Sportline Kit: 217-331 / 879-994 (1.50" / 1.3" R)
Swift Springs Progressive: 270 / 782 (1.1" F / 1" R)

Linear VS Progressive

For those who don't understand the difference, Linear has a set constant spring rate and progressive is as the name suggest, progressive so as you drive the car harder causing more body roll the springs become firmer to try and control body movement more. Linear are the choice for those who want best handling characteristics with great predictability and less noise, plus linear springs work in harmony more so with the dampers. In short a linear spring will typical be a better handling car. The plus of progressive is when your driving on better roads they maintain better levels of comfort and only firm up on poor road surfaces which can actually mean worse ride quality or when you push the car harder, the downside is your dampers are linear and have a set rate so sometimes dampers can struggle with progressive springs and this is why coilover kits have progressive springs. Another downside of progressive springs is they can be noisy due to coils being much closer together causing squeaks. I enjoy corner carving and a predictable car with as little noise/NVH as possible, so I will always go linear springs. :)

Anyone knows the rates and drops for other springs or if I made a mistake please post and I shall add them to the OP. Be nice to have them all in one place, maybe an admin/moderator could sticky this?
I am running H&R springs on my 2016 they are progressive need to update list. :thumbs: Lethal Performance sells these.

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Steeda linear

ronnieb1958

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
so, can it be said that for a daily driver who is a commuter and NOT a racer but wants a 1 inch drop for looks AND better handling, a Linear spring is the best choice?

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
so, can it be said that for a daily driver who is a commuter and NOT a racer but wants a 1 inch drop for looks AND better handling, a Linear spring is the best choice?
Despite popular opinion on here, no. Everyone has different opinions. Some of the praise on linear springs on here comes from a vendor that doesn't sell progressive springs. Maybe they think that progressive springs suck, and that's okay, but let's also understand that they also have an interest in selling linear springs. I'm not trying to knock them, either--I have several of their products on my car and I love them. The Ford Racing handling pack comes with progressive springs. I have had both Steeda Ultralite linear and Eibach Sportlines (a progressive spring) on my car, both with the stock PP dampers (my car now has the FRPP dampers). In my OPINION, for a daily driver, the ride on the Sportlines is better than the ride on the Ultralites. Why? Because at low speeds (less than 30 or so) the Sportlines soak up the bumps better, but at speeds above 30 (where you'll be doing the vast majority of your aggressive driving), the Sportlines firm up and feel fantastic. I was wary of progressive springs at first, but I'm 100% sold on the Sportlines. Plus, I think they have the best drop of any spring currently on the market. Also, I never had any noises from either spring set.

Again, just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Dampers/Springs work in combination. Wait til Bilstein and Koni comes out with their strut/shock packages. They will compliment each other. The PP dampers I have just suck. The stock springs I took off (PP) are just nauseating. Ford did not do the suspension correctly on our Mustangs and it seems the whole forum agrees.

Sinub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Dampers/Springs work in combination. Wait til Bilstein and Koni comes out with their strut/shock packages. They will compliment each other. The PP dampers I have just suck. The stock springs I took off (PP) are just nauseating. Ford did not do the suspension correctly on our Mustangs and it seems the whole forum agrees.
I'm pretty sure Koni shock/struts are already available.