Sponsored

Upgrading stock GT350 Stereo and more

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
For those who want truly excellent car-audio performance, the factory system just is not going to cut it. Doesn't matter that this is a unique performance car with its own bespoke audio track (engine + exhaust) that other cars could only dream about. When you want your music to sound great, the factory left a good bit to be desired. So be it.

That being said, and now we're on to personal opinion and tastes, I've played around with the sound balancing of the stock system (I have the Tech Pack) and orienting the "center" of the sound to just behind the driver and center of the cockpit produces a good balance. The overall bias towards treble and higher frequencies is modulated down and the sound quality is quite good. This may only be possible with the Tech Pack head unit--which is a decent piece of technology overall--but it does allow for good enough quality for a highway cruise without complaint.

The sound quality is not "awesome", but it's now pretty darn good.
Sponsored

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
For those who want truly excellent car-audio performance, the factory system just is not going to cut it. Doesn't matter that this is a unique performance car with its own bespoke audio track (engine + exhaust) that other cars could only dream about. When you want your music to sound great, the factory left a good bit to be desired. So be it.

That being said, and now we're on to personal opinion and tastes, I've played around with the sound balancing of the stock system (I have the Tech Pack) and orienting the "center" of the sound to just behind the driver and center of the cockpit produces a good balance. The overall bias towards treble and higher frequencies is modulated down and the sound quality is quite good. This may only be possible with the Tech Pack head unit--which is a decent piece of technology overall--but it does allow for good enough quality for a highway cruise without complaint.

The sound quality is not "awesome", but it's now pretty darn good.
With all due respect I hope you're wrong about the Tech system being necessary for decent sound. Those of us with the base system are at its mercy.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
My only comment about the Tech Pack is with respect to being able to tune the balance and fade for sound-centering. I have no idea if signal processing, amps, speakers, etc. are different among the trim levels with radios, and I haven't sat in any other car to know whether you can or cannot work with balance and fade the way you can with the Tech Pack controls, or whether the Tech Pack sound quality is in any way "better."

I also suspect that for those who are going for aftermarket pieces likes sub woofers, amps, signal processors, etc., wouldn't be particularly jazzed by what the Tech Pack system can do and would likely want to upgrade just the same.

The audio quality in these cars is not epic, but it can certainly be good enough to not detract in any way from the real reason we bought these cars. I truly hope that you find your audio quality to be acceptable, and please prove me wrong!.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
feel free to use any ideas from my audio. Biggest issue with 2016 is they removed the aux port, so I dunno how a test signal would be inputted to do the tuning. My subs arent huge, I wanted low profile ones because I did not want a box or deep subs to hog my trunk space. I estimated the entire system added about 50-60#. So worth it.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29714

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
I have a question. I'm no audiophile, nor I do I know much about high end sound systems or the technical details involved. But does anyone know if the Shaker Pro sub from the GT can be added to the GT350 trunk? Is the wiring to support it already installed in the car? Is it even worth considering since the Shaker Pro system doesn't exactly crush it sound wise?

Sponsored

ProblemHouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350 replica
I was a competitor on the USAC and IASCA circuits for a number of years. Most factory systems are inadequate by competition standards. However some of the new high end cars have made major progress in their factory units. Just looking at the number of speakers and the placement of those speakers in the vehicle I can tell the car is not to sound good but it also is not horrible. Hopefully I will be able to purchase a GT350 in the future and if/when I do I would add a summing devise like the Audison bit 10 or JBL MS-8…, use the rear deck to mount infinite baffle subs, swap out the fronts for a nice component set and add a high powered multi-channel (maybe 5) amp and that should be more than enough to get that car to sound good enough to run through the competition lanes as a rookie/novice. Just remember this you can buy the best equipment in the world and it would do you any good if the install is crappy.

ProblemHouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350 replica
feel free to use any ideas from my audio. Biggest issue with 2016 is they removed the aux port, so I dunno how a test signal would be inputted to do the tuning. My subs arent huge, I wanted low profile ones because I did not want a box or deep subs to hog my trunk space. I estimated the entire system added about 50-60#. So worth it.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29714
Something just like what ForTehNguyen has done with his car. IB subs, single amp, summing units... Well done sir.

And at that he guesses he added about 60 pounds which is the difference between and a guy that is 6'2 and 225.

Me being a competition guy I would most likely go with custom dash pods and or kick panels to help with staging. That may add another 10 or so pounds.

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
My only comment about the Tech Pack is with respect to being able to tune the balance and fade for sound-centering. I have no idea if signal processing, amps, speakers, etc. are different among the trim levels with radios, and I haven't sat in any other car to know whether you can or cannot work with balance and fade the way you can with the Tech Pack controls, or whether the Tech Pack sound quality is in any way "better."

I also suspect that for those who are going for aftermarket pieces likes sub woofers, amps, signal processors, etc., wouldn't be particularly jazzed by what the Tech Pack system can do and would likely want to upgrade just the same.

The audio quality in these cars is not epic, but it can certainly be good enough to not detract in any way from the real reason we bought these cars. I truly hope that you find your audio quality to be acceptable, and please prove me wrong!.
Yeah I don't know the differences in the systems either. There are basic controls for the base stereo. Bass, treble, etc... Completely underwhelming experience.

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
Something just like what ForTehNguyen has done with his car. IB subs, single amp, summing units... Well done sir.

And at that he guesses he added about 60 pounds which is the difference between and a guy that is 6'2 and 225.

Me being a competition guy I would most likely go with custom dash pods and or kick panels to help with staging. That may add another 10 or so pounds.
I did look at his install a few weeks back and today and it looks awesome. I had considered adding subs under the seats but thought I wouldn't be happy with the sound so I chose to add a dual 12" enclosure for the trunk. If I want to shed weight, I'll just unplug it and pull it out. I will probably never race this car so that's not going to be an issue for me.

I'm just hoping there won't be a lot of issues with fitment regarding the speakers. I'm going to attempt the speaker install with my husband. He knows more than I do. The subs and amp will be done by someone who knows what they're doing. lol

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

Im already 6' 225, I will need to go for a stage 3 weight reduction to balance out the extra weight :cheers:

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
the stock locations for the speakers arent in the best places, so the response of the midranges at those angles isnt as good as it could be. If you stick your head close to the infotainment screen where youre getting blasted directly by the tweeter and mids, it sounds much better

It added 50-60# but then I removed the suitcase resonator on my car to save about 30#. Lot of people underestimate how much a great audio system can add to the enjoyment of a car

MiniDSP has an new product DSP specially made for car audio which would be a little cleaner than mine:
https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/c-dsp-6x8

I have a question. I'm no audiophile, nor I do I know much about high end sound systems or the technical details involved. But does anyone know if the Shaker Pro sub from the GT can be added to the GT350 trunk? Is the wiring to support it already installed in the car? Is it even worth considering since the Shaker Pro system doesn't exactly crush it sound wise?
shaker pro sucks, dont even bother. $1800 for 401A package that has shaker pro, blind spot monitoring, and memory seats. I put $1500 into my system, installed it myself (20+ hours), friend came over and tuned it.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
The audio in my tech pack Shelby cold be better, but I don't think it's terrible. I do agree the car could benefit from a subwoofer and better components

84venom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 2016 GT350 TP DIB w/White Stripes
I like my tunes and I like the sound the car makes but there is a place and a time for both. Stock system is junk and I am willing to add a bit of weight to the car for more ear pleasure. I will post picks as I go. The only way to go on 90% of the new cars is to get a signal processor and keep the stock head unit since it interfaces into alot of the cars controls.

I have built numerous SEMA vehicles and always leaned this way because of interfacing. Right now there is no easy solution or setup on the Shelby so going to tackle it this way.

I agree that JL makes some great stuff and so does audison. I'm trying to put a great system myself and keep the costs under $3k. All the components I am using in this build are very good on scale of at least 7 of 10 or better.

Will keep everyone posted.
So how's the install coming along? Would like to see some pics too....

OP
OP
crazyfish

crazyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 & '14 GT Track Car
Been out of town alot on business but got my box done today. I put in 2 PPI phantom 13" Shallow subs in 2 ohm load(same as Soundstream Stealths). Got all the parts ready to go and my dash out. I have Hertz Hsk 163.5 3 way components for front. going to put the 2 small 3" midranges in the center of dash under grill. Tweeters in stock location and mid bass in door stock locations. All these running through 3 way crossovers. I have Alpine 6.5 pro coaxials for back deck. Amplifier is Alpine PDX-V9 running 4x100 front & rear channel and 1x500 for subs. I am going to take signal off all stock speakers and sum the signal into a Audio Control DQX-61 then preamp out to amp. The AC also has fading and 7 band equalization. I am trying to figure out a way to put it under the passenger seat with an extendable cable so I can tine the car while in the drivers seat. When done put it under the passenger seat. It should be great when done but time is the issue. I am leaving for business in Florida for a week or so. So it will have to wait. I'll keep you posted.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Good question. In the Ford accessory catalog in the mustang section, it shows the shaker subwoofer as a separate accessory item. I think you would need a power source and the ability to tap into the head unit or splice existing speaker wires to make it work.
Sponsored