Dashcams

ryosaeba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White EB Black Roof and Stripes
I'm going to grab one of my camera Circular Polariser tomorrow and turn on Live View on the phone and test the filter during daylight to see if it makes any difference. Might do it somewhere private, otherwise might look kinda suss hahaha :D Will also test 3D lenses from Cinema $2 3D glasses. If that works, it'll be pretty easy and cheap to just chop that up and attach it with some velcro.
Sponsored

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Another option is to try a circular polarizer on the lens.
Just had these arrive from France.

Will do some before/after vids and screen captures later on.
IMG_4009.jpg

ryosaeba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White EB Black Roof and Stripes
Just had these arrive from France.

Will do some before/after vids and screen captures later on.
That was quick. I'm still too lazy to go out and buy a pair of 3D glasses lol :D

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so I installed the Moovika CPL polarising filters to both the front and rear cams of my Thinkware F770.

The manufacturing is of a high quality and installation is a breeze - the front filter clips firmly frontwards onto the lens whilst the rear slides on with the aid of a loop which ensures a snug fitting.

Whilst the lens definitely reduces glare, I'm not convinced that it will make a huge difference as far as number plate recognition is concerned.

Here's a few clips - I didn't change any settings on the cams whatsoever and tried to make the surroundings as similar as possible (travelled the same route at around the same time) - make your own mind up.

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

jank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT TY
Whilst the lens definitely reduces glare, I'm not convinced that it will make a huge difference as far as number plate recognition is concerned.
It seems to cut down the reflection of the dash a lot when there's direct sunlight, that's worth something!

Recognise sutho too :thumbsup:

Sponsored

VNE000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Comp. Orange (Delivered Aug 2016)
Ok, so I installed the Moovika CPL polarising filters to both the front and rear cams of my Thinkware F770.

That was great fun I played around for a good half hour getting the two video stream to run in sync!

Dooh - I must get a life...

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
It's always hard to tell from Youtube but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on number plate recognition with the filter. I played around with one on my Blackvue and while reflections and glare were improved, I felt number plates were even harder to make out.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
It's always hard to tell from Youtube but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on number plate recognition with the filter. I played around with one on my Blackvue and while reflections and glare were improved, I felt number plates were even harder to make out.
I suspect that you may be right.

The below screenshots were taken directly from the dash cam viewer software (not YouTube). I zoomed in to capture the two cars that were parked on the right during both drive bys.

The first pic is with no filter attached, the second is with the Moovika filter.

As you can see, the plates of these cars are unreadable - perhaps even more so with the filter attached (especially in the case of the Audi). The plate of the car directly behind me in the first pic is clearly readable without the filter attached.

So much depends on lighting/glare/reflection/speed/angle/processing power etc. with these cams as far as what usable product is generated when it comes to plate readability.

I'll probably leave the filters on as they definitely reduce reflection from the dash/rear parcel shelf.
db.png
db1.png

w0rt3x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT Fastback Manual Ruby Red
How can I stop the F770 recording after I turn the car off? It seems to keep recording for a while afterwards... I'm worried I'm going to end up on a tow truck one day :)

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
How can I stop the F770 recording after I turn the car off? It seems to keep recording for a while afterwards... I'm worried I'm going to end up on a tow truck one day :)
It's supposed to! That's the parking mode, it'll shut itself off before the battery is at a compromised level though. You can alter the shutdown settings from within the menu system when you connect using the phone app.

Sponsored

IngoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Fastback Velocity Blue
Turn it off :thumbsup:

w0rt3x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT Fastback Manual Ruby Red
I've got parking mode disabled though... I am not planning on turning it on/off manually. There are a lot cheaper dashcams out there that behave properly... I've checked the Setup app on the SD card and couldn't find anything. Will double check with the mobile app again...

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
DCOA January On the Road compilation:

[ame]

w0rt3x