Sponsored

NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

defector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
wow. Bought a $20 Duracell "Sync and Charge" (ever notice how many cords only state they are for charging?) lightning cord later and 5 plug-ins back and forth with no luck and was just sitting there wondering what to do next....and after 4-5 minutes of just sitting there...Carplay came up. Works in either USB port.

Thanks for everyone's help! I honestly can't believe it...didn't think this would happen this weekend. No wonder Ford hasn't proposed doing this for owners at dealers. Even if they streamline it, it seems like this is not that simple.

p.s. On the upside, in one of my walking away moments, installed my new GT350 steering wheel. Can't wait for spring now....and it would appear from these pictures, some interior cleaning.
one.jpg
two.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
oh wow hey congrats!

JSCOTT0812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Has anyone gone from 2015 MFT to a SYNC 3 setup? I bought a full unit from someone online that comes with all the parts of the radio needed to do a swap but I've seen a few people mention in other threads that they think you have to program the VIN in order to get it to work? The only reason that I ask now and in this thread is I noticed in one of the pics above it has VIN information in it...Any truth to that?

btw...I did this originally for just NAV and to have the cleaner SYNC 3 interface but now I'm going after apple carplay as well! Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread! It's a great read! And thanks in advance for any help.

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Has anyone gone from 2015 MFT to a SYNC 3 setup? I bought a full unit from someone online that comes with all the parts of the radio needed to do a swap but I've seen a few people mention in other threads that they think you have to program the VIN in order to get it to work? The only reason that I ask now and in this thread is I noticed in one of the pics above it has VIN information in it...Any truth to that?

btw...I did this originally for just NAV and to have the cleaner SYNC 3 interface but now I'm going after apple carplay as well! Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread! It's a great read! And thanks in advance for any help.
I have done the swap and you will need the unit programmed in order for it to work to my understanding. Some info on it over in this thread:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35055&page=3

And a ton of info over here:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54439

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
email member [MENTION=20927]OEMRadio[/MENTION] Jesse at [email protected], he'll be able to answer any questions you have

Sponsored

nrothaar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Race Red
Does anyone know if this will be available OTA anytime soon? Would rather just update it that way

wsfrazier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 M6 401a
Since a bunch of you are using this, quick question. When using Maps w/ Apple Carplay... Does it split the screen off like Sync 3 does so you can change music and see the artist/title? Or is CarPlay just 1 app at a time?

How does Carplay handle SiriusXM, I assume it doesn't? Trying to see if it's even worth to do, if you can't do any of this, seems like a downgrade from Sync 3 w/ Nav.

RawisTheGameHhH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Conv't
Since a bunch of you are using this, quick question. When using Maps w/ Apple Carplay... Does it split the screen off like Sync 3 does so you can change music and see the artist/title? Or is CarPlay just 1 app at a time?
nope; its either maps on the screen or music; but you can still control what you are playing you just can't see it unless i am doing it wrong

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2

How does Carplay handle SiriusXM, I assume it doesn't? Trying to see if it's even worth to do, if you can't do any of this, seems like a downgrade from Sync 3 w/ Nav.
You can have maps running in the background (no picture, audio directions only) on any screen. If you have the Maps visual up, there will be nothing else on the screen. This is all controlled by apple and has nothing to do with Ford.

While CarPlay doesn't control them, SiriusXM, AM, FM, and CD are all still available audio sources while CarPlay is running. From the CP home screen select SYNC to get back to the SYNC home screen where you can find and select your audio source. The media button on the steering wheel might also work, but I can't confirm that.

16RRGT

Roush Phase 1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT; 85, 69 Camaro, 2000 F350 Dsl Dually
OK. I found a way to screw this up (You knew there had to be one.)

I did the file(s) download and upload. Worked like a charm.

I got to the point where I plugged in my phone... and the screen started going nuts. There was the disclaimer that it would do the first phone bit... and then it was going to the can't find the USB device... the screen was going back and forth between the two without me touching anything.

The culprit was likely the heretofore completely reliable USB cable that, on closer inspection, had a small cut in it.

So, the last part... like the permissions of google map on the radio... didn't happen. The end result is that while everything else on the radio works as before, the Android Auto doesn't show up on the 5 buttons at the bottom of the screen, even though it shows in settings on the screen and I've turned it on... so clearly, I've managed to screw it up.

1. Can this be reinstalled?

2. If so, how?

3. is there a way I can make it happen as is, or am I just out of luck?

Thanks for your help... and I'm also emailing Jessie...

Note 4/Verizon/16 GT Premium non-Nav

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
try a different cable, Android is finicky with cable choice, use a Samsung cable if you have it, I use a Belkin cable with good results

Bumzo1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT PP
I installed the new USB hub listed on the first page of this thread and did the Non-nav update. Everything worked like a charm! I took the car on a 600 mile roadtrip this past weekend and the CarPlay maps were so useful, especially since I got to my destination (Houston, TX) at 5pm on a Friday while it was pouring rain.

16RRGT

Roush Phase 1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT; 85, 69 Camaro, 2000 F350 Dsl Dually
try a different cable, Android is finicky with cable choice, use a Samsung cable if you have it, I use a Belkin cable with good results
I changed the cable... no joy.
Sponsored