Sponsored

RLCA Bearing Upgrade: An In-Depth Look at the most overlooked piece of the puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Does anyone know if the old bushings are flared in one direction? The ball joint press I rented is only large enough to press the old bushings out the same way they were pressed in. I'd like to avoid destroying a set of control arms
They are not, they can go out either way
Sponsored

GTPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I managed to install my bearings fairly easily using a ball joint press and a small bench top vice. Pretty easy install, took maybe 30 minutes and one mildly busted knuckle. Don't let the fear of pressing out bushings dissuade you from doing this mod.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I managed to install my bearings fairly easily using a ball joint press and a small bench top vice. Pretty easy install, took maybe 30 minutes and one mildly busted knuckle. Don't let the fear of pressing out bushings dissuade you from doing this mod.
Still, that price from C&D Autotech is actually quite good for what you get.

GTPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Still, that price from C&D Autotech is actually quite good for what you get.
Oh, absolutely. Especially considering two control arms from levittown ford are 297 shipped, plus the BMR bearings are 270, and local shops quoted me ~25 per bearing for R&R.

If you can't/won't pony up 600 bucks upfront, replacing the bushings yourself is definitely a viable option

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
I wanted to share some pics I took. People constantly ask, why such the high price Kelly?

Here is a look at the US Made, to our spec, 1" Spherical Bearing set next to what the industry standard is for a 1" bearing.

Pretty impressive, right? ;)
Bearing Compare 1.jpg
Bearing Compare 2.jpg
Bearing Compare 3.jpg
Bearing Compare 4.jpg

Sponsored

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Bumping this thread for a dumb question - from what I can tell, these bearing kits only replace the frontmost RLCA-to-subframe bushing with a bearing - the stock rearmost bushing is still used. Would be great to see some detailed photos of the rearmost bushing. The frontmost bushing has a lot of "airspace" in it, but haven't seen a good shot of the factory rearmost one, but I imagine it's nothing like the frontmost bushing.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Bumping this thread for a dumb question - from what I can tell, these bearing kits only replace the frontmost RLCA-to-subframe bushing with a bearing - the stock rearmost bushing is still used. Would be great to see some detailed photos of the rearmost bushing. The frontmost bushing has a lot of "airspace" in it, but haven't seen a good shot of the factory rearmost one, but I imagine it's nothing like the frontmost bushing.
The rear point is already a bearing.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
So is there any required maintenance to these spherical bearings? Do you keep them dry, or bother with any periodic sprits of lubricant? I have the BMR double spherical vertical links is why I ask.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Another dumb question.... in terms of just the frontmost RLCA-to-subframe bearing and the stock rearmost bearing. Do you still need to "clock the bushings" on leveled ground? I an assuming the RLCA from BMR don't need to be clocked, but what about the stock rearmost bearing?

Sponsored

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Another dumb question.... in terms of just the frontmost RLCA-to-subframe bearing and the stock rearmost bearing. Do you still need to "clock the bushings" on leveled ground? I an assuming the RLCA from BMR don't need to be clocked, but what about the stock rearmost bearing?
You only need to clock the rubber bushings - reset them to the new ride height.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You only need to clock the rubber bushings - reset them to the new ride height.
I believe I don't have any rubber bushings to clock anymore (I think) in the rear. I am in the process of clocking the front bushings for sure (building some wheel crib blocks out of wood).

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Parts for our new BK081 are flying off our CNC machine!

This new BK081 RLCA Bearing kit will be more comparable to the non-BMR versions on the market.

We went down on the bearing size to match what is out there, but we have chosen to CNC machine the housings from 303 Stainless Steel and have also gone to 6061 Bearing Spacers instead of the 7075 in our BK055 Kit. These changes have resulted in us being able to pass the massive savings on to the consumer!

More pics to come!
BK055 and BK081.jpg

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
These changes have resulted in us being able to pass the massive savings on to the consumer!
Beautiful, man! Are you going to have a similar package deal to swap control arms? That will be the way to go for anyone looking to do this mod, as pressing them in can be a challenge.

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Working on some things in that arena. ;)

As of right now I tell people:

1: Take the BMR bearing and your RLCA to a shop and let them do the dirty work on their press for very minimal cash out of pocket

2: Acquire a bushing R&R tool.....which is a royal PITA IMO.

3: Contact Chuck at C&D Autotech and take advantage of his services.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.