Nickel Lustre rims

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Looking at a few GTs on car sales - dealer new cars, cancelled orders etc; most have the black rims.

Fairly flexible on colour - they all look great.
Preference is for Nickel lustre rims - only a few have.

I know front and back differ in size but are the black factory rims and nickel lustre rims same size?
Do they take the same tyre - that is if I get a car with black rims can I easily swap the rims over and use the same tyres?

Are the nickel lustre rims easy to source in Australia? Would Ford dealers carry them in stock?

Its only a $500 option on a newbie to upgrade.

I saw a vert pull in at a Melbourne dealer - he was there to get his wheels changed over. From nickel lustre, so I guess there were 4 available then.

Is there a near identical wheel available from Bob Jane or similar that would use the same tyres - and how much would the alloys cost?

Gotta ask cos haven't been to Bob Jane since fitting four 14 x 7 Aunger hot wires to white ZB Fairlane 40 years ago.
Sponsored

Aussie MustangGT

2016 Mustang GT Auto
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
The factory nickel lustre wheels and factory black wheels are identical in all respects other than for the obvious colour difference and the extra $500 that Ford require for the silver wheels.
The tyres are also identical in sizing and brand.
I ordered the nickel lustre wheels for my race red GT and they beat the black wheels hands down for looks.
Ian.

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
They are pretty easy to source and are generally cheaper than the black rims as they are not as popular. A lot of people don't like the look of them, check gumtree or eBay. I saw. Set with tyres for 1200 a while back

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the nickel lustre wheels for my race red GT and they beat the black wheels hands down for looks.
Might have to dig out that Dirty Harry's opinion on opinions video again.

Good to see you back, Ian.

:thumbsup:

mustang mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt race red fastback (ordered)
I prefer the nickel lustre wheels myself but do concede the black rims make the stang more muscle car in appearance whereas the silver make it slightly more classy in looks, more euro, sort of. In the flesh the black rims look better than they do in pics where they get a bit lost in the background. Hope you know what I mean.

Sponsored

GGT-66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
The factory nickel lustre wheels and factory black wheels are identical in all respects other than for the obvious colour difference and the extra $500 that Ford require for the silver wheels.
The tyres are also identical in sizing and brand.
Ian.
Nice to see you posting again Ian.....still flying the flag for nickel lustre wheels.........you will be telling us that South East Queensland is the best next.....:thumbsup::cheers:

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
Nice to see you posting again Ian.....still flying the flag for nickel lustre wheels........:
Can I please join the nickel lustre appreciation society too :)

Aussie MustangGT

2016 Mustang GT Auto
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
Nice to see you posting again Ian.....still flying the flag for nickel lustre wheels.........you will be telling us that South East Queensland is the best next.....:thumbsup::cheers:
Hi Bob,
Yeah, I suppose the initial thrill has worn off a bit and having sold my factory and retired, the opportunities to do things to the Mustang are not there any more.
As you may remember, when I was working and bought my first FPV BA V8 Falcon I had the room and finances to pull the motor out and upgrade the bottom end (forged conrods and pistons, etc.) and then supercharged it with a Kenne Bell supercharger. Overall I spent about $30,000 on the car. As much as I enjoyed doing all the mods, I financially and physically can't do those sort of things any more.
I just wish I had the Mustang back then :)
How is everything going with yourself Bob, and what mods have you done so far?
Ian.

Sponsored

Aussie MustangGT

2016 Mustang GT Auto
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
Might have to dig out that Dirty Harry's opinion on opinions video again.

Good to see you back, Ian.

:thumbsup:
Thanks Drew. Good to be still alive ...... lol. Hope all is well with yourself.

Ian.

OP
OP
radar

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies. Good info.
I needn't knock back a car due to wheels.

What about the TPMS?
Is that s seamless transfer - or an issue?

Unkle Ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What about the TPMS?
Is that s seamless transfer - or an issue?
If your swapping them directly from old wheel to new wheel there will be no issues at all regarding reprogramming and as long as they're not damaged in the process it will be all good. They are fragile and easily broken if care is not taken when removing/reinstalling. I would also recommend replacing the actual valve stem the sensor mounts too as I have never trusted reusing them once removed.

In my case I ended up buying 4 new TPMS sensors directly from my local Ford Dealer for my new wheels. They told me the new TPMS's will need programming with their tool, a good mate who is a Workshop Foreman for a different Ford dealer said I would need to take the car in to get the sensors programmed, the tyre shop that fitted the wheels told me the same thing and alot of what I read on the internet said they would need reprogramming by a dealer/programming tool.
After driving the car for about 20kms the error message popped up, did the TPMS reset through the dash menu and the error message hasn't come back and sensors read correctly and it's been well over a month now with the new wheels and sensors on the car. As long as you purchase the correct TPMS sensors I don't think there will be any problems.

OP
OP
radar

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Ok, thanks for your comprehensive reply. So long as I keep it all Ford OEM and within a Ford dealership for recalibration he, I'll be ok.
No need to sweat if I get a car with black rims or knock back a colour/deal combo on account of wheels.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
radar

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Ford dealer with demo on Carsales quoting me $3200 incl GST to upgrade to Nickel Lustre.
Sponsored