Sponsored

Where can I go to the track and what do I need to know?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Once the weather warms up I want to take my car out onto the track and see what the car can do. I don't really care to go to the drag strip. I just want to do laps around a track.

I live in Maryland and so for one, I don't know where to go. And also, what sort've things do I need to know? Will they let me take the car out by myself or do i need instruction first? Do I need a helmet or things of that nature?

Basically what does a beginner do to start out? Ive been driving 11 years now and have played just about every Gran Turismo game ever made and some
other racing games so I understand the general idea, but I've never been able to take a real car out and push it to its limits. So naturally there will be a learning curve.
Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
For these questions you want to read and research the following clubs:

SCCA Track Night America
NASA (North American Sports Car Association) http://www.nasaracing.net
Chin Motorsports http://chintrackdays.com/schedule.aspx
Hooked on Driving

and there are more. You may also be interested in autocross which SCCA refers to it as SOLO.

For track days instructors are assigned to any novice driver. Autocross do not assign instructors but they offer them if you are not familiar with that format of performance driving.

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
So, being in maryland, I suggest you buy a good cheap helmet, Bell or something like that. Get with a PCA event at Dominion or VIR, they seem to have great instructors for beginners. NASA and SCCA instructors seem to be a crapshoot, sometimes they are awesome and care, other times, they are just looking for cheap/free track time. Go slow and learn your limits. Maybe a good beginner track pad such as a hawk dtc-60 or carbotech XP-8 and some good brake fluid if you are fast.

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
Summit Point is less than a 2 hour drive from Baltimore. They have 3 different tracks to choose from at one location: Main, Shenandoah and Jefferson. NASA and SCCA run there along with many other owners clubs (Porsche, BMW, Audi).

Most tracks will have track day primers on their website. Always good to check there. You can also check out YouTube videos of your local track. There are millions of them and they can be helpful in learning the racing line.

You must have a helmet to drive on any track. Most tracks require a helmet with at least a minimum Snell rating of SA2005. Many tracks also offer helmet rentals, $10 to $20 bucks, usually.

After registering for the event of your choice, arrive at the track very early on the day of the event. Find the registration desk and sign in. Your car will have to go through a tech inspection. Not a big deal, some truly ratty cars get approved and most of the inspections are fairly cursory. The car will have to be completely cleared out of anything not bolted down.

Most tracks or organizations have clothing restrictions, nothing major, but most require long pants and closed toe shoes, some require long sleeved shirts too. That is the worst reason to not make onto the track so check for that information on their websites.

Get an instructor, even if one is not required. They will keep you from doing anything truly stupid your first time out. I've heard of some instructors that appeared to be afraid of speed, obviously you want to find one that will welcome a driver that wants to explore their limits and the limits of their car. But for the first time out I highly recommend an instructor. It will give you a chance to learn the racing line and settle any nerves. This is much different from a video game. Not that computer racing games can't help you learn some driving skills, but the real thing is a world away.

The most important thing about a track days is to sign up and GO!!

They are remarkably safe. The greatest danger is getting completely and totally addicted.

I would not spend any money on the car other than a full tank of 93 octane gas and an oil change. Your own limits are probably much lower than the cars for the first time out. The Mustang is an excellent track car and you can address weaknesses as they appear and your own limits get higher.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Eisman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang.... Duhhhh
A quick Google search should lead you to the tracks in your area. They should have websites that explain the packages available for your experience level. I took my car on the track last summer for the first time. I highly suggest having an instructor with you for the first few times on the track. I paid $70 for a half hour of classroom training followed by a half hour on the track with helmet rental and instructor. Most tracks should have some sort of Novice HPDE that you can learn some track etiquette before heading out on your own. Very much worth it IMO.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Thanks [MENTION=26012]Grafanton[/MENTION]. Very good information. I'm gonna check out Summit Point.

Oh and of course I realize video games is far from real driving. But it's where my passion for cars and the idea of racing started for me. I want to get that feeling of being totally free and it's just me and the car.

Most importantly I want to do it safely and find out the limits of my car.

I've done quite a few mods to my suspension in anticipation that this day was coming- the day that I first get to drive on a real track.

I have Ford Racing track springs and dampers, BMR CB005, BMR vertical links, Ford Racing toe-knuckle bearing, BMR sway bars and by tomorrow will have Steeda LCA bearings and differential urethane bushings. Still on stock Pirelli A/S 18 inches. But when spring comes around I'm going to put on Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Getting on a real track is one my dreams. I get to pretend I am in Gran Turismo, but for real.

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT

Sda3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Green Performance Pack GT Premium
Thanks [MENTION=26012]Grafanton[/MENTION]. Very good information. I'm gonna check out Summit Point.

Oh and of course I realize video games is far from real driving. But it's where my passion for cars and the idea of racing started for me. I want to get that feeling of being totally free and it's just me and the car.

Most importantly I want to do it safely and find out the limits of my car.

I've done quite a few mods to my suspension in anticipation that this day was coming- the day that I first get to drive on a real track.

I have Ford Racing track springs and dampers, BMR CB005, BMR vertical links, Ford Racing toe-knuckle bearing, BMR sway bars and by tomorrow will have Steeda LCA bearings and differential urethane bushings. Still on stock Pirelli A/S 18 inches. But when spring comes around I'm going to put on Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Getting on a real track is one my dreams. I get to pretend I am in Gran Turismo, but for real.
Summit Point is a great place to look. Along with SCCA events Summit point also hosts its own HPDE events throughout the summer. They are reasonably priced and provide instruction as well as track time. I haven't been to one there myself, but have heard from others that is well done. I may get to one this year with my father that lives down there.

Getting out and driving on a track is an absolute blast. I've had my new mustang out once so far and I look forward to more. It is addicting. Make sure you get a snell rated helmet, and don't buy a 2005 those are past their 10 year life and most tracks and clubs won't accept them this year. Get at least an SA2010, but SA2015 would last longer.

Sponsored

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
I hope to be at summit point myself this spring/summer. Track is close enough to my house I can hear them going around the track on the weekends plus I get to see some really nice cars in town. Its a very popular track.

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
You could even come up to NJ the track I go to is New Jersey Motorsports park.
I did two days and one day both HPDE 1 both times I got good instructors. I did a lot of upgrades from first to second trip. NASA sponsored events. With membership you get discount at Winding Road Racing...I got this helmet(NASA no longer accepts 2005 FYI) https://store.windingroad.com/g-force-gf1-open-face-auto-racing-helmet-sa2015-p1975.aspx. Free shipping 2015 and cheaper than Amazon or what I could find.....the new models are tighter than old ones, these are the helmets that they rent to you for $20 bucks. This is probably the cheapest helmet. Also both times I met some great people from here, they were all extremely helpful with tips and advice.

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
You could even come up to NJ the track I go to is New Jersey Motorsports park.
I did two days and one day both HPDE 1 both times I got good instructors. I did a lot of upgrades from first to second trip. NASA sponsored events. With membership you get discount at Winding Road Racing...I got this helmet(NASA no longer accepts 2005 FYI) https://store.windingroad.com/g-force-gf1-open-face-auto-racing-helmet-sa2015-p1975.aspx. Free shipping 2015 and cheaper than Amazon or what I could find.....the new models are tighter than old ones, these are the helmets that they rent to you for $20 bucks. This is probably the cheapest helmet. Also both times I met some great people from here, they were all extremely helpful with tips and advice.
I live in Delaware and run track days a lot. I run with HOD (Hooked on Driving) a lot. While their description of what they do on their web site sounds tame, I can assure you that their instructors will encourage you to go faster than you would believe possible. Pocono, New Jersey Motorsports Park, Dominion and Summit Point are all easy drives for you. Hope to see you at the track!

<TED>

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
TFW you live in Midwest and all the good tracks are like 8+ hrs away :/

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Be prepared to open your wallet. I got hooked on racing years ago karting, then drag racing followed by autocross. Now I'm into HPDE when I can. Very addictive, incredibly fun and you will constantly try to get better and quicker, this is where the wallet comes in.

Someone mentioned taking a high performance driving class, excellent suggestion. You will learn a lot of theory and if the course has a track day, you will get hands on experience.

Good luck and have a great time on the track. Lots of fun and from my experience great people there too.
Sponsored