Splitting Headlights for DRL Upgrades

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
I am taking a Crack at this either this weekend or next weekend but I am looking for any recommendations people have for resealing the lens.
Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Nice work

OP
OP
CasperGT

CasperGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
GT Black Fastback (Drake)
I am taking a Crack at this either this weekend or next weekend but I am looking for any recommendations people have for resealing the lens.
I am still experimenting with resealing. Last weekend helped a guy do his with rubber butyl rope. It seems to work well at the time but had issues with moisture getting through. So this weekend we resplit and resealed thinking that we did not put enough in (you have to stretch it and I thought we might have stretched it too thin) but after re doing it and everything was seemingly good it started fogging again.

We realised that while he was running the lights it heated the butyl back up and the lights started opening again while in the car. We now think that you have to let the lights sit 24 hours after sealing before running the lights so the butyl sets properly.

I am begining to think a black silicone might be better? not sure about this but I am thinking if it sets better then the butyl rubber it may just work more efficiently?

I would suggest only doing one light. Then if it all goes well and you have no issues then do the second light a week later.

Toadys result was a bit of a setback. Splitting is not too bad, but resealing with no issues is still experimental for me. Would love to hear from anyone who has cracked the right formula?

OP
OP
CasperGT

CasperGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Hey hold off doing your lights. I just ran an experimental separation still with the heat gun but modified approach. I took a full video of the separation with no cuts or edits and I will get the video up in th enext couple of hours. I will post back when it is up. It is worth holding off until you see the vid.

Cheers
Allan

OP
OP
CasperGT

CasperGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
So I have added a video to the wix page that I created on splitting the S550 headlights.

I discovered a problem with distorting the receiving channel in the rear black half of the housing. Although you can repair by applying heat, when you reseal with Butyl Rubber Rope and apply heat the plastic moves back to the distorted position as if it holds memory.

I had a housing from a wrecked Mustang that I cut the lens off with a grinding wheel so I thought I might try a different approach with the heat gun by applying much more heat to the rear channel section and doing so over a much longer time.

I bought a new Wagner 750 heat gun as it has good temp control and a very narrow aperture wide nozzle that allows even better and more precise heat application.

The video runs about 25 minutes but I did not edit, speed up or cut at any time because if you are going to attempt this I thought you would appreciate seeing the entire process uninterrupted.

The factory perma-seal is a rotten product to extract. It just does not melt at all.... it is a product that needs lots of heat and I am sure it would not melt at any less than 1000 degrees Celsius because at 630 degrees it still held form.

I would definitely take longer heating the perimeter than the time I took in this video and would do so at somewhere between 500-550 degrees Celsius. I would work it around and around for about 45 minutes being careful not to melt through the plastic. I think this would give maximum separating conditions.

Also, the headlight in my video was just the remaining edge of the lens after cutting the bulk away with a grinder. So obviously I had an advantage by gripping with pliers but I feel applying the heat over a longer period will make the process easier for pulling a full lens piece away.

always pull the lens away at the tri-bar corner and not from the reflector end. The lens will be hot so use a glove that is not too thick so that you can hook your fingers over the edge of the lens for better gripping and ability to pull away.

Finally, I am not a professional, so bear this in mind. I am just working my way through several trials and testing different methods. No one shows you the full process on youtube so I want to show people the risks but also the way of avoiding maximum damage.

The link is:

http://allanjonesvip.wixsite.com/s550headlight

Just click the video tab once you are at the home page. :thumbsup:
Save
Save
Save
Sponsored