Sponsored

Anyone ordered a 2018 model?

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
I was going to order one at the earliest opportunity, but now I see there are strong rumours that the GT350 may continue until 2020 - which surely means a possible RHD version now that the basic chassis is the same for all S550's? ...... so that's put the brakes on the upgrade plans at the moment.
Hasn't the basic chassis always been the same on all S550's?

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hasn't the basic chassis always been the same on all S550's?
Yes all the same, the GT 350 just has an aweful lot of tweaking, magnetic ride, custom hubs, lighter components, wider tracks, bigger ARB's, better tyres, lighter wheels, a lot more downforce. There is no doubt other tweaks as well like uprated bushes etc. throughout.

Most 350 owners do not change much suspension wise, as its is pretty sorted whereas a GT handles nowhere near to the levels of a GT 350.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think they will give 2 options. A base car with the same 3 options we get now. And a performance car, fully loaded with 10speed mag ride and active zorst.
Would be nice to get base cars and spec them the way we want, they said they wanted S550.2 to be the most customisation Mustang yet and global.

Otherwise I just hope I can get a PP car with mag ride, 10 speed and digital dash. Be happy with that, of course active exhaust, forged wheels and other stuff would nice too but not essential as I can fit such things myself, though active exhaust is really nice to just get the factory toggle switch.

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
I think there are (very) slight differences to allow the 20mm lower bonnet on the 350, which is why you can't transplant a GT350 front end onto a standard car ..... but I may be wrong! It's just my usual 'grasping at straws', looking for reasons that will justify a RHD 350 :D. Either way the S550v2 order is on hold until something is confirmed one way or the other with the GT350.

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The body panels from the doors forward are all different on the gt350 so the bonnet may sit lower due to that?
Yes GT 350 and MY18 GT sit 20mm lower at the front. It was done on the GT350 as it made a big improvement in downforce and aero-dynamics.

They then had to widen the front track due to the new front-end being wider, hence the car got new lower arms, hubs, brakes, wheels etc.

If MY18 is globally compatible, I am sure the GT350 is as well with maybe the hood vent deleted, I see no reason why 350 is not global other than Ford simply do not wish to do so or is simply more down too the fact that the production lines for the GT 350 are already at maximum capacity and as such they can't build enough for USA market and as such there is no chance to go global yet.

Also to make things profit and cost profitable for Ford they would have to sell a very large amount and maybe Ford believe there is not a big enough customer demand for such a car in EU and RHD configuration. I know we would like to say there is but look at GM, they make the Camaro and Vette for EU, they are not exactly popular even though they are fantastic. So Ford probably think that 60-70k Mustang simply would not sell in large enough volume to make it worthwhile even attempting.

End of the day Ford is a business, they only want to make safe moves which are profitable, they probably believe GT 350 for EU would never return a profit and in order to cope with demand of that car Global would probably require huge overhaul and expansion of such production lines, further increasing price on end result.

Also car makers enjoy cars being in shortage, it keeps demand high, prices high, profits high and desire from wannabee owners. Something Porsche do exceptionally well, look at 911R, a car sold for 150k new a year or two ago and now they already fetch over 500k.

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Just to add to what Gibbo has said.. surely, if it was going to be made available outside of the USA, it would first be offered to countries that are already LHD? It's gonna be USA only I'm afraid.. Maybe in a couple of years we can buy GT350 wrecks and build the parts onto our RHD cars. I would love to do that!!

Dont get me started on F*^"ing Porsches Gibbo!!! AAArrgghh!!

Cati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 get v8 ucl mag grey & e93 m3 cp
nige you finished your gt86 yet?

Cati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 get v8 ucl mag grey & e93 m3 cp
Just to add to what Gibbo has said.. surely, if it was going to be made available outside of the USA, it would first be offered to countries that are already LHD? It's gonna be USA only I'm afraid.. Maybe in a couple of years we can buy GT350 wrecks and build the parts onto our RHD cars. I would love to do that!!

Dont get me started on F*^"ing Porsches Gibbo!!! AAArrgghh!!

Nige there are quite a few for sale in Germany - including the r. still steep money. I guess they will drop a lot once the GT500 comes out
Sponsored