Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Update:
I flashed the tune back to stock and as expected, the DTC for "crank re-learn" has popped up...
I'd asked around (weeks earlier) before doing this to make sure I had access to an SCT device (a mate of a mate has one) but he's away this weekend getting his bogan on at Summernats..:headbang:

NB: If you're going to be flashing the car back to stock, make sure you have either an SCT or someone with HP tuner on standby. :frusty:
Car is driveable, but it's not something you want to be doing ideally. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
Is this a common thing with a Ngauge when reverting back to the stock tune?

Seems a little inefficient to have both the SCT and nguage. If you were a little closer to me I would give you mine to use.

Hope it works out!

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is this a common thing with a Ngauge when reverting back to the stock tune?

Seems a little inefficient to have both the SCT and nguage. If you were a little closer to me I would give you mine to use.

Hope it works out!
Thanks for the offer!
Seems to be the case. Not so much when flashing new tune, but when reverting back to stock for sure.
I rang Herrod before I committed to the Ngauge to see if I could buy one of their SCTs and have the Lund tune put on that..old mate was emphatic that it couldn't be done.
Makes me wonder what plan Streetfighter have in place for their customers?
This WILL happen to some of us, regardless of whose tune you purchase.
It's an Ngauge thing, not a Lund thing.

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
Thanks for the offer!
Seems to be the case. Not so much when flashing new tune, but when reverting back to stock for sure.
I rang Herrod before I committed to the Ngauge to see if I could buy one of their SCTs and have the Lund tune put on that..old mate was emphatic that it couldn't be done.
Makes me wonder what plan Streetfighter have in place for their customers?
This WILL happen to some of us, regardless of whose tune you purchase.
It's an Ngauge thing, not a Lund thing.
Yeh definitely not the tune but the tuning device, which is a shame because the ngauge does look a lot better than the brick like SCT. Hopefully a firmware update or similar later down the track will fix this

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Interested to see how you go with this :-)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Update time.
Took the car to a mate who knows his way around a tune (recently tuned a 740+rwkw XR6t). Plugged the car into his laptop, running HP tuners. He pressed a few buttons, asked me to hold throttle at 4500rpm
For a few seconds, done.
Nothing high tech going on.
CEL is cleared, all is good.
We also discussed the strategies that the Mustang employs when compare to a falcon or commodore. WOW! There's a LOT going on there!!'

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Update time.
Took the car to a mate who knows his way around a tune (recently tuned a 740+rwkw XR6t). Plugged the car into his laptop, running HP tuners. He pressed a few buttons, asked me to hold throttle at 4500rpm
For a few seconds, done.
Nothing high tech going on.
CEL is cleared, all is good.
We also discussed the strategies that the Mustang employs when compare to a falcon or commodore. WOW! There's a LOT going on there!!'
hahah yeah 26 different maps with x and y axis i believe, so lots to do!

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Update time, todays instalment consisted of:

BMR Toe rods
Steeda adjustable diff bushings (red)
Steeda LCA spherical bearings
Steeda billet adjustable camber arms
Ford Racing toe-knuckle spherical bearings

I took the day off work to help (hinder?) my mate Dave the gun mechanic. We started at 7.30 and finished up around 4.00pm. WARNING There's a bit of work in all of this.
Others have posted "how to" for all of these parts and there's plenty of vids on the web to cover it all so I won't give a detailed explanation.

The good:
Holy shit, this is AWESOME! I haven't thrashed it hard yet cos the wheel alignment is all over the place (camber and toe) but I will say that the car is now absolutely cohesive. It was good before but this is unreal.
It's like comparing driving on seriously under inflated tyres to driving on the correct pressures. That's probably the best analogy I can think of.
I'd even go so far as to say the the suspension feels slightly smoother over the bumps. I guess everything can operate as it should now? :shrug:

The bad:
It's a truly shit proposition for an install.
We couldn't press the old bushes out without cutting them a little first.
We had to drop the subframe further than I'd like in order to get the diff bushings in.
Steedas lockout washers for the camber arms suck, although they DO fit, just fiddly and the arms themselves clash on a suspension mount point when the suspension is at full droop.
BMRs toe rods don't seem to have much clearance and I suspect they will rub occasionally under the right conditions. EDIT: I installed the toe rod spacers incorrectly. THE LARGE SPACER GOES TO THE FRONT!
In defence of BMR, I have spherical bearings at both ends of the toe rod (courtesy of Ford Racings toe knuckle bearing), meaning that the whole assembly can twist and clash. You wouldn't get that on the stock bush.
I've also developed a "knock knock" sound when I either change gear or accelerate hard.... I'm thinking this is the diff bushings resisting the rock of the diff. I'll check it out tomorrow while we're doing headers...

Verdict:
I'd avoid the BMR toe rods (or any for that matter) and just stick with the stock rods IF you're doing the Ford Racing sphericals. If not, just do it.
Not sure about Steedas camber arms yet. They are a beautiful thing, but I'm not convinced of the clearances as yet.
I'm stoked with the performance, just need to check where the knocking sounds might be coming from and put the toe rod spacers in the right way :mad:
EDIT: I'm a dumbarse.
After "reading" (staring blankly at for several minutes) Steedas install instructions for the diff bushings, I went ahead and tightened EVERYTHING to 129 ft/lbs..... Turns out that the front two inserts only need 35 ft/lbs.
Without a degree in engineering, I suspect this is why my car makes some interesting noises.
Will rectify and report back.
NEVER go full retard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Dave cutting out the shit-arse factory style toe knuckle bush.
Yes, your rear suspension will look like this if you attempt all of this in one sitting :eyebulge:
IMG_1437.jpg

Unkle Ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Dave cutting out the shit-arse factory style toe knuckle bush.
Yes, your rear suspension will look like this if you attempt all of this in one sitting :eyebulge:
I can't believe you had to cut out the bushes, mine came out with very little force and the whole process of replacing them alone wasn't even half an hour to do both sides :shrug:

The bushes make a massive difference all for the better and should seriously be high up on the priority list of suspension mods for anyone else looking at doing the same mods.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I can't believe you had to cut out the bushes, mine came out with very little force and the whole process of replacing them alone wasn't even half an hour to do both sides :shrug:

The bushes make a massive difference all for the better and should seriously be high up on the priority list of suspension mods for anyone else looking at doing the same mods.
I dunno. We weren't using a hydraulic press which might make a difference. We were using a "Repco" press for the LCA bushes. Basically, a bottle jack with trusses so to speak.
We used a bolt driven type for the toe knuckle bushes cos I didn't want to spend even more time taking more parts off the car. It saved us time in the end. Only took a few minutes to cut the bushes with an air driven saw.

Agent 86

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT Fastback
Just read through this (been on holidays like everyone else:)) a great read, thanks. Was interested to see that I'm not the only one with the hesitation in 3rd gear. Very annoying, so will definitely be looking at a tune in the future.

Cheers, and keep up the good work.

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just read through this (been on holidays like everyone else:)) a great read, thanks. Was interested to see that I'm not the only one with the hesitation in 3rd gear. Very annoying, so will definitely be looking at a tune in the future.

Cheers, and keep up the good work.
I've been talking to my tuner at Harrop as mine occasionally does the hesitation if try and boot it from low revs in 3rd. He has sent me a new tune which should fix it up, once ive loaded it and tested I'll let you guys know

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Here's where it's at -
Headers and custom exhaust now fitted (refer to pacemaker thread for more details on install). Custom exhaust consist of 3" mild steel pipe with an H, a hot-dog each side and the Magnaflow Comp AB.
ITS LOUD AND HORRIBLE! I'll be making changes shortly.
Flashed the Lund tune to the car and started her up. CEL came on immediately, as expected.
Took the car for a test drive to log the tune.

Impressions:
The throttle seems a little weird. The car sort of surges at times.
I pretty much expected it to be like this, no real surprises. I'm thinking that Lund are running a very conservative tune (rich and retarded) for the "base" tune.
I've emailed the log for my first revision. Fingers crossed they'll get something back to me soon.

In the mean time I really need to do something about this exhaust. It's not liveable and it's just loud for the sake of being loud. All rasp, no class.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Where it's at right now -
I did the data-logging as per "how I thought you'd go about it" which apparently isn't what Lund wanted....
They sent an email (within hours of receiving my data-logs) explaining the procedure and then a mate showed me a video of how it's done, which can be viewed here:

Once I watched that video it became obvious that Lund actually didn't send me the config files...
So, my WOT runs were useless cos Lund weren't able to see the right data.
Given that it's the weekend, I can't get any support from Lund right now, so I got a mate to send me his config files via email which I've since loaded to my Ngauge.
I'm fairly certain that the config files are generic and therefore shouldn't have any compatibility issues and so forth.
So, tomorrow is the day of the data-log. Wish me luck!

At this point, I'd suggest that if you're looking for a really simple "turn-key" solution, this probably isn't for you, but if you're like me and want to learn the inner workings of the beast and don't mind a bit of a challenge here and there, this is definitely the go.
It can be frustrating at times but the reward is certainly worth it in my eyes.
Sponsored