Roll bar - Watson Racing vs Cooltech

Khyron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
The seat clips that we originally created for the Boss302's will also work in the 2015+ Mustangs. In the S197 Mustangs both the in-board and out-board clips are mounted perpendicular to the seat rail and the seat still has the opportunity to slide. On the 2015+ GT/GT350/GT350R, the out-board clip is still mounted perpendicular to the seat rail but the in-board clip needs to mount parallel to the seat rail and straight back.
Those clips look great. The one question I do have about them.. Is there any risk of them rotating when the lap belts get pulled? Also, do you have a solution for the sub belts? I guess that was 2 questions! Thanks.
Sponsored

CoolTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltechllc.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford GT - Tungsten Garage Queen
Those clips look great. The one question I do have about them.. Is there any risk of them rotating when the lap belts get pulled? Also, do you have a solution for the sub belts? I guess that was 2 questions! Thanks.
As far as turning, most of the force will be upward on the bracket once the seat is slid back into a normal position. There will be some rotational force but if they are secured properly any movement would be mitigated.

As far as anti-submarine belting, you really have two choices. The first (and most common way in a dedicated race car) is that you modify the seat bottom with a slit that allows the belt to come up just in front of your crotch. The other end of this belt is secured through the floor or a reinforced part of the seat bracket. For a street-driven car - especially where the owner doesn't want to modify the seat or floor, an alternative exists. This would be to use a 6-point harness system. You lay the anti-submarine belt out in a V-shape on top of the seat bottom with the tip of the V just in front of your crotch area and with the latch on that end. The legs of the V go out AROUND the pivot point of the seat back and connect to the same clips as the lap belt. You sit on the V and then you adjust the fitment. The anti-submarine belt really serves two purposes. One, it prevents the occupant from sliding (submarining) under the lap belt in the event of a collision. Second, and as importantly, it serves to keep the lap belt down and in a correct position across your hips. The shoulder straps are trying to pull the lap belt up and the anti-submarine strap is keeping it down. All of this.... and you also need to try to keep "the boys" comfortable.

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
Thanks for the info. How tall are you?
I'm 6 foot. I probably didn't have the seat all the way back, maybe one notch or so from the back and I wasn't able to recline the seat back to where my head was not pitched forward. The HANS adds about an inch more between the helmet and seat.

OP
OP
kart125

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350/2008 Saab TurboX SC
I'm 6 foot. I probably didn't have the seat all the way back, maybe one notch or so from the back and I wasn't able to recline the seat back to where my head was not pitched forward. The HANS adds about an inch more between the helmet and seat.
I'm 5'9" and drive pretty close to steering on the track so might be fine with Watson.

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
I would go with Watson being that the Track Attack cars use them - but I did have a Cooltech setup in my Boss 302 Laguna Seca and fit and finish was excellent.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kart125

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Both setups seems to be top notch quality, just a different approach.

TennTex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT-PP
For a street-driven car - especially where the owner doesn't want to modify the seat or floor, an alternative exists. This would be to use a 6-point harness system. You lay the anti-submarine belt out in a V-shape on top of the seat bottom with the tip of the V just in front of your crotch area and with the latch on that end.
The legs of the V go out AROUND the pivot point of the seat back and connect to the same clips as the lap belt.
You sit on the V and then you adjust the fitment.

Can you elaborate on the proper routing of the 6-point V quote above? When you say "around", you mean the legs of the V go on the OUTSIDE of the seat hinge points - the same as the lap belts? I had assumed the V would go the shorter route under the seat INSIDE the hinge points, while still connecting at the same OEM seat mounting points.

Very interested in adding a roll hoop and 6-point harness to my '17 GT, and just want to clarify. Thanks!

OP
OP
kart125

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finally opted for the Watson bar and rear seat delete kit. I finilized the install yesterday and am happy with result. The side trim panels are a PITA to get back into place once main hoop is in place... Cant wait to install the harness and track this car next spring!

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
ant photos of install??

Sponsored

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I'm mostly curious on the Cool Tech install of the upright bars.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
So close to ordering a watson bar. I was going to do red to match the red accents but the wife liked the grey ones from the track attack cars..... argh. Yes, I'll turn in my man-card.

CoolTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltechllc.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford GT - Tungsten Garage Queen
Can you elaborate on the proper routing of the 6-point V quote above? When you say "around", you mean the legs of the V go on the OUTSIDE of the seat hinge points - the same as the lap belts?
Yes.

Regarding the differences between the two roll bar kits. Most taller drivers are likel to have the seat reclined a notch or two more than they might for the street in order to get headliner clearance with a helmet on. This is the primary reason that we believe that kicking the harness bar back is a good idea - otherwise there could be a serious fitment issues. The fact that we kick this harness bar back and that our kit allows the rear seat to remain in place (or not - owner's choice) are the two main differences between the kits.

TennTex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT-PP
CoolTech,

Thanks for the confirmation on the belt routing. Will be ordering soon, I've seen your roll bar in a buddy's Boss 302, and it works great.

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Hey CoolTech,
I'm leaning toward your roller bar but want to see how the front bottom legs are mounted. I won't be able to use them but i'd still like to keep the rear seats in the car.

couple of photos would help. Thanks
Sponsored