Thank you everyone for the info.

Unadilla248

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
7x
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sorry to pop in but where is everyone getting the Dynotech aluminum driveshafts for the GT for $500-$600? I can only find them for about a $1000.
Same here and why are the auto shafts cheaper.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I HOPE it's because they have to do a lot less balancing to get them to not cause NVH. But I suspect it's because M/T drivers want driveshafts more than auto drivers and therefore they can charge more for them. I local driveshaft shop quoted me $560 to custom make one for my car but it would be balanced only to 6500 rpm. They said that would be totally fine and frankly I believe them. The $800-$1100 pricetag of these includes R&D shipping, warehousing, and mad profit margin.

SlowEldiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I HOPE it's because they have to do a lot less balancing to get them to not cause NVH. But I suspect it's because M/T drivers want driveshafts more than auto drivers and therefore they can charge more for them. I local driveshaft shop quoted me $560 to custom make one for my car but it would be balanced only to 6500 rpm. They said that would be totally fine and frankly I believe them. The $800-$1100 pricetag of these includes R&D shipping, warehousing, and mad profit margin.

Very true. Supply and demand. I've built plenty of custom cars, trucks and Jeeps over the years. I don't have access to a custom shop, I agree, R&D does add to the bottom line. I'll accept a higher price tag. But it's always good to shop and ask around. Saving a little here and there and stretching your dollar always helps to further a build.

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I have a shaftmasters aluminum. I have annoying vibration around 50 with the stock driveshaft. Which was exaggerated with the aluminum one. I also had a vibration right at 80mph with the aluminum driveshaft, which doesn't stop until 95-100. The extra response is great. The car shifted my better. I did not try indexing the driveshaft. I've since pulled it and will be dropping it off at a local race shop to check the balance. I have a feeling either the pinion angle is messed up or the rearend is off center. If you're racing a fair amount. It's definitely worth it.

Sponsored

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
I have a shaftmasters aluminum. I have annoying vibration around 50 with the stock driveshaft. Which was exaggerated with the aluminum one. I also had a vibration right at 80mph with the aluminum driveshaft, which doesn't stop until 95-100. The extra response is great. The car shifted my better. I did not try indexing the driveshaft. I've since pulled it and will be dropping it off at a local race shop to check the balance. I have a feeling either the pinion angle is messed up or the rearend is off center. If you're racing a fair amount. It's definitely worth it.
I have the exact issue and I found my subframe looks to be off centered slightly from when a shop did the suspension install.
I'm hoping to try to move that back at some point.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
After you get gour car back from the shop you should do the indexing just to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then you can rule that out! Its a known fact that some of these cars come with mis aligned rear ends even the s-197's did. If thats the case then the steeda subframe alignment kit will fix that. And to make sure it stays there steeda subframe connectors are a must. I was lucky to find out my rear is perfectly aligned from the factory so i never used the alignment kit. But i do have the subframe connectors, because I've also read posts about the rear moving after so many miles! You can also tell that your rear is outta wack when you go to install the subframe connectors and the bolt holes dont line up! You can rule pinion angle out because the diff is mounted to the irs frame so no matter what you do with your suspension it doesn't affect it!

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
I have an aluminum one, while I like how I could feel the reduced mass I don't think I'd do it all over again. Nvh sucks. Don't believe people telling you "theirs" didn't get any additional nvh. They all do add nvh, some people are just oblivious to it and not as sensitive. The nvh comes from a poor fixed stock s550 pinion angle from what I've been told by a few vendors.
I have the dss 4" aluminum
Only nvh I noticed is when putting into 1st the pop is louder. I also installed a twin disk. I also have bmr 005, vertical links, dss 1400hp shafts, off-road long tubes, corsa sports and Whipple so all of that ads nvh in their own way. I upgraded to be safe. Didn't want to be stranded at the track.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
After you get gour car back from the shop you should do the indexing just to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then you can rule that out! Its a known fact that some of these cars come with mis aligned rear ends even the s-197's did. If thats the case then the steeda subframe alignment kit will fix that. And to make sure it stays there steeda subframe connectors are a must. I was lucky to find out my rear is perfectly aligned from the factory so i never used the alignment kit. But i do have the subframe connectors, because I've also read posts about the rear moving after so many miles! You can also tell that your rear is outta wack when you go to install the subframe connectors and the bolt holes dont line up! You can rule pinion angle out because the diff is mounted to the irs frame so no matter what you do with your suspension it doesn't affect it!
I've got the cradle lock out kit and steeda irs locating kit. I'm not sure if it helps. I had already pulled the aluminum DS out. But wheel hop and tracking was greatly improved.

Last edited:

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
I have an aluminum one, while I like how I could feel the reduced mass I don't think I'd do it all over again. Nvh sucks. Don't believe people telling you "theirs" didn't get any additional nvh. They all do add nvh, some people are just oblivious to it and not as sensitive. The nvh comes from a poor fixed stock s550 pinion angle from what I've been told by a few vendors.
I have a 1 piece DSS aluminum. When I first installed it I had horrendous vibrations above around 70mph - to the point I was going to remove it. Instead I removed the diff lockout kit I had installed and all vibration when away.

The only remaining nvh is possibly a little move 'thud' in 1st gear. That's it. Nothing once at speed.
Sponsored