Steeda Tri-Ax Street shifter

RIK60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt TY
Hello All! I recently purchased the Tri-Ax Street shifter from Steeda for My 2015 GT. I had it installed by a very reputable performance shop here in Tampa Fl. To cut to the chase everything seemed ok, shifts nice and tight and I also have the Blowfish Racing shifter bracket and I thought all was well but when I stopped at a light and put the shifter in neutral when I went to shift into first it went into reverse without evened pulling up the lockout. I then found the same thing happens any time I start to go into first. It's almost like the Steeda sleeve is slightly thinner than the factory sleeve and it has a small amount of movement to the left that lets it slide into reverse. I went back to the shop and the owner was as surprised as I was. He actually has the earlier version of the same shifter in his Stang. we could find nothing wrong with the install and there are really no adjustments.
I called Steeda and they told me the spring is probably installed wrong but I explained the lockout works fine but the shifter can be pushed into reverse with little effort. all they could say was it can't happen.
Any Idea's? Thanks
Sponsored

BiloxiFun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
I do not have the shifter but it will be my next mod to my car..after reading the 5+ page forum listing of the Steeda shifter in the transmission forum I can't say I have read about people having this issue... I would guess your installer has done something backwards just as Steeda has mentioned. There are guys who installed the shifter themselves and didn't have this issue.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I thought the Blowfish adapter was no compatible with aftermarket shifters first and foremost?

The reverse thing happened with my shifter, but it was due to an incorrect install. I would take it apart and double check it again.

drbrian722

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
This is just the short throw shifter and not the whole shift bucket, correct?
If that's the case the shifter is probably in backwards. The lockout screw is mounted on the drivers side from the factory and the steeda one is on the passenger side. It will mount up fine, but the lockout collar is notched and won't catch the lockout tab.

drbrian722

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I was looking for pictures from my install that may be helpful, but the other possibility is that the spring is not mounted to the shifter. Mine came with the wrong hardware package and Steeda had to overnight me the set screws that would allow the lockout spring to be mounted. If the spring is just held in place by the shift knob then there will not be enough resistance to keep the lockout collar down and it would exhibit the symptoms you mention.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RIK60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt TY
First thing I checked. It's on the passenger side. The lockout actually works fine, it's when I go to shift into first if I push slightly to the left it grabs reverse even without pulling up the lockout.

drbrian722

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
First thing I checked. It's on the passenger side. The lockout actually works fine, it's when I go to shift into first if I push slightly to the left it grabs reverse even without pulling up the lockout.
So the lockout tab on the car is making contact with the collar, but it sounds like its not making contact with the correct portion of the collar, but rather the angled section so the sideways force against the lockout tab pushes the collar up. That makes me think the lockout spring is not right.

OP
OP

RIK60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt TY
It has the 2 allen screws and the white plastic washer to reduce noise. I even made sure the screws were not past the edge of the washer.(instructions said it could interfere with the sleeve movement. one thing they did do was twist the tranny housing a little to the right and it helped a little bit but if I push hard it still pops into reverse.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
It has the 2 allen screws and the white plastic washer to reduce noise. I even made sure the screws were not past the edge of the washer.(instructions said it could interfere with the sleeve movement. one thing they did do was twist the tranny housing a little to the right and it helped a little bit but if I push hard it still pops into reverse.
Video soon to be released, on the ease of installation. 30% reduction in throw. Will post in this thread.
This is a great value for the investment..

Steeda Tech

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
This is just the short throw shifter and not the whole shift bucket, correct?
If that's the case the shifter is probably in backwards. The lockout screw is mounted on the drivers side from the factory and the steeda one is on the passenger side. It will mount up fine, but the lockout collar is notched and won't catch the lockout tab.
I was wondering the same thing, if it is the race shifter one possible cause is they may have left out the little rubber plug that goes into the shift knob. Without it the knob gets screwed down too many turns which can cause the lockout to not function correctly thus allowing the shifter to slip into unintended reverse.
But since he has the Blowfish bracket it's doesn't sound like he has the Tri-Ax race shifter.:shrug:

Sponsored
OP
OP

RIK60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt TY
Finally Solved!! Evidently the Steeda sleeve on the shifter arm is super sensitive, after taking it apart and reassembling I could find nothing wrong. I went back to the shop that installed it several times , had multiple correspondences with Steeda and still was having the issue, not everytime but enough to make you crazy. anyway I had acquired a shifter knob for a GT350 which had been modified to fit all S550 model Mustangs. The problem would show up after I put the knob back on and started driving.
It was not that the knob was threaded too far down or even too far up. when I pulled the lockout adapter up it was smooth and when I released it would drop properly but I guess what was happening it was not dropping the sleeve all the way. I happened to pull down on the adapter after I released it and I felt it move, just slightly and bingo, worked properly. My guess is somehow the shifter knob was preventing the sleeve from dropping just enough to allow it to slide into reverse. so on a hunch I took the GT350 shift knob off and put the factory knob back on and it works perfectly.
I guess it's the little things that can get ya! Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
How much grease did you use on your O-rings? I greased them a lot at first, but couldn't get them to stay on when I put the sleeve on. So I wiped some off and very carefully got them to stay on, but now my collar returns very slowly and sometimes not all the way. I fear I will need to take it apart and mess with the grease again. Those O-rings are just too tight IMO!

OP
OP

RIK60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt TY
The amount of grease shouldn't be a problem. If the sleeve is returning slowly it sounds like the O ring(s) have slipped off. when I contacted Steeda about my problem the first thing they asked was if the sleeve was moving freely and if not I might need to replace the O rings. mine was moving fine so I didn't need to replace them. I think they will send you new ones for free if you call them and tell them what's going on. as to the grease I used the entire pack that came with it.
Question, did you used loktite on your shifter knob? the reason I asked is I was warned to be very careful and not use too much as it can run down the lever and gum things up. I put it a few drops in the knob itself and then put it on so that wouldn't happen. hope that helps.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Thanks for the tips! I will be calling Steeda to discuss this. I was hoping it would "break-in" but it is still sticking sometimes, which sucks because when I back out of my drive then go to first, it'll occasionally go back into reverse without lifting the lockout! Yikes! Good thing I pay attention to the camera coming on.

I was VERY careful putting the collar on, because it was a huge PITA with those o-rings. I made sure to get them on without the o-rings rolling, which took forever. But it has been sticky since the get go, so maybe I just need new o-rings. Maybe I stretched them when I first put them on, I don't know.

Yes, I did use Loctite on the knob, since I have an aftermarket knob that requires it to keep the knob in place. What funny is the first time I had that knob on my old shifter, it ended up breaking loose and moving some, so this time I put a lot more Loctite on. I will check that out for sure! Sucks though because even with putting more Loctite on, my knob still loosened up and it has only been a couple of weeks. :(
Sponsored