Transmission / Drivetrain Vibration

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone else noticed this issue:

The transmission makes a "thud" noise when I push it into 1st gear if I'm at a stop and you can notice the vibration throughout the cabin. Multiple people have noticed it and pointed it out while riding along with me. It does that slightly between gears when I'm shifting but that has gotten a little better than before.

Car has 800 miles on it right now and it's still doing it.

Any ideas to what it could be. Breaking in, bad assembly? I can try to make a video and show you guys too.
Sponsored

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
Seems like the clutch might not be fully disengaged. If you are sure you are pushing the pedal fully, it might be an adjustment issue? Is the clutch hydraulic?

If you are on level ground does it want to move when you put it in gear?

It also seems it might be that part of the clutch is warped on not bolted on fully / correctly. It might be not bolted to the flywheel flush and be spinning slightly off-axis causing a little clutch grabbing ever rotation. I would think this would have to be fairly extreme though to cause this, depending on how much clearance there is when the clutch is disengaged.

OP
OP
Demon Coyote

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like the clutch might not be fully disengaged. If you are sure you are pushing the pedal fully, it might be an adjustment issue? Is the clutch hydraulic?

If you are on level ground does it want to move when you put it in gear?

It also seems it might be that part of the clutch is warped on not bolted on fully / correctly. It might be not bolted to the flywheel flush and be spinning slightly off-axis causing a little clutch grabbing ever rotation. I would think this would have to be fairly extreme though to cause this, depending on how much clearance there is when the clutch is disengaged.
From what I thought it could be an adjustment issue or just part of the breaking in process, I mean it has gotten a lot better than before but still does it here and there. There is a chance it might not be bolted on flush so what I'm going to do is drive it for a little longer and put some more miles on the car and see if it goes away eventually. If it gets worse I'm just going to take it to the dealer and have them take a look at it.

STAMPEDE

Threads
Reaction score
I'd report it to dealership sooner than later as clutch warranty issues could at times be tricky...take the shop foreman for a ride and get it documented

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
I feel a clunk going in to 1st after coming to a stop.
But once it does it, I can change gears back and forth And it won't do it any more. But after I drive again to the next stop and put it in to 1st again, it will do it.

Sponsored

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
Several of us having the same thing Mellow! I plan on heading up to the dealership soon and at least like Stampede said and have it documented.

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
I wouldn't worry about a clunk going into first, unless it is excessive. If you have your foot on the clutch for ten seconds before going into first I bet you don't get the clunk right? (Or at least it would be a lot less.) It'd just be the spinning input shaft getting meshed into gear the first time.

Didn't they switch to a thinner oil to help shifting problems? I could see this increasing noise when engaging gears / pretty much doing anything.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Mine does the same thing. Firepath's answer seems logical.

OP
OP
Demon Coyote

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've kinda gotten used to it now and it seems to have gotten a little better than before. I'm waiting to see if the clunk becomes worse and will take it into the dealership. Otherwise I will switch out the oil and see if that makes a difference.

OP
OP
Demon Coyote

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, I forgot to mention my dealership did know about this issue within the first week of my picking up the car. I was talking to the Ford Service Manager as well and he made it a priority. Apparently, they had to test drive other 2015 mustang GT's that were manual and see if they were doing the same thing.

When they got two other cars into the dealership they test drove them and those two cars were doing the same thing. One was just like mine and one was worse. So according to them it's "normal." It made me feel a little better but at the same time I was like it shouldn't be "normal" since I thought they revised the the trans.

Could just be that it's settling in, maybe even the 2-piece driveshaft? I can't really pin point it out. But I am going to try different oil to see if it helps.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Demon Coyote

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe the whiteline transmission mount insert might help. I'll have to look into it more. Hopefully it goes away on it's own.

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
FWIW my ST has done the same thing since new. It doesn't do it if I hold the clutch in for a little bit before shifting into 1st (only happens from a stop)

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
I haven't driven it in over a week but I'll try the longer clutch hold to see what it does.

How the hell did we do it in the past without forums?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I haven't driven it in over a week but I'll try the longer clutch hold to see what it does.

How the hell did we do it in the past without forums?
My MT82 on my 11 did the same thing. My 15 continues the trend. Thinking it's a property of this transmission.
Sponsored