Sponsored

BMR Tech Tip: Check those axle-to-spindle retaining nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
32 mm socket, what a thread. Thank's BMR.

xxchieferxx

lol@ mpg
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I just figured out I have a drivers side rear wheel bearing failure. 15 Pp car(14590 miles) here with no issues of halfshaft nut getting loose at all. I have g force halfshafts. Are there any stronger or different aftermarket wheel bearings for the rear of our cars offered before I just buy the oem ford bearing?

chris_keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP - Red
I did this last night to try and fix my popping issue I was getting upon moving forward or starting to go in reverse and popping issue has been resolved.

Just wanted to mention, since I've seen a few torque specs on here, proper torque spec from Ford for the axle nuts is 98 ft-lbs, then an additional 45 degrees. This spec is over 150 ft-lbs.

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Yeah, I had the popping and clicking developed over the last month or maybe a bit more on the passenger side. PP car. Torqued it to 150 ft-lbs + 1/8 of a turn. Much higher than spec, but I will order two new nuts and possibly do it per spec. Have not decided yet.

Sponsored

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I had this creaking noise coming from my driver rear. Found this thread and re torqued it to 150 ft-lbs and the problem went away for a couple months and came back. Bought a new nut secured it with red loctite and problem was fixed for a while. Recently the driver rear started ticking! What do i do? Buy a new nut again? Thoughts?

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Shocked to see the recurring issues above.

Are you guys checking the torque of them when the issue came back? (to see if they loosened)

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I haven't had the chance to check the torque again but i will this weekend and report back.

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I have this issue as well... I've re-torqued my nut twice now. It stays fine for a couple weeks then comes back.

Guess I'll get a new nut when I get my DSS Halfshafts.

Is there any risk of just leaving it ? Sound is annoying but its more annoying to take the tire off and tighten it over and over again.

TrevorGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
race red 2015 GT
Ive had mine at the dealership a few times for this now. Re-torquing the nuts worked for a little bit. Changing them also worked for a little while, but the clicking/popping sound returned. This last time they loosened all rear suspension components and re-torqued everything. This worked for about a month then the noise returned. Thats where im at right now.

Sponsored

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
I heard the same sound from the 2017 Expedition that was given to me when I took my stand in. The tech also said that the same sound was present in old Tauruses I believe. What they did to mine is put a bit of anti-seize on the end of the half-shaft and retorqued it, but I am 120% sure it will come back. I wonder if aftermarket half-shafts would fix this issue.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Car has had an off and on squeak for some time as well as occasional clunking. Dealer checked the driver rear wheel bearing and found it had about an inch of play when grabbing and tugging on the wheel. This was at only 6,000 miles. They replaced the wheel bearing and sound has seemed to go away for the time being. Currently have about 300 miles on new wheel bearing.

I'm surprised this hasn't been made a TSB or recall with so may other cars experiencing the same issue.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
What is our next option if the problem keeps coming back? My car is a little too modified to take it in for warranty work.

OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
I mean, the only option is new hub assemblies, a fresh nut and some loctite and torque it down.

I do find the inconsistency with this stuff mind shattering.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
So i checked the nut and it wont budge with my 150ft-lb torque wrench. I guess my only fix is try getting a new hub assembly? The ticking sound from the hub assembly + the bbq ticking sound after my oil change make my car sound like a super old POS car. So frustrated lol
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.