MrOldschool45

MrOldschool45
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Package
Hey, yeah always. When you mention "rev match," you're talking about rev matching when you "down shift" correct? Sorry, your post is a little confusing. Sorry if you know this already, but when you down shift (ex. 3rd to 2nd gear ) and you want to rev match, you can use the "heal toe" method or blip the gas real quick.
Clutch engagement feel has an effect on a smooth shift. My 17 GT clutch assist spring was horrible. I couldn't feel the engagement and it sucked for smooth shifting. Dose yours have a clutch assist spring? If so, I'd take 2 minutes and take it out until you can get a lower power spring. It makes a big difference - night and day difference.
Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
So do you shift like this during normal driving too? How did y'all account for the rev match for upshifts, because for me at least, when I upshift normally with gas, the shifts are not smooth.
Typically when you say rev match you're talking about downshifts, not upshifts. I suspect your concern is about rev hang, which is when the revs don't drop right away after you engage the clutch and close the throttle (I suspect this is OP's problem as well).

For normal, everyday driving I usually wait just a second between upshifts for the revs to drop. In fact, I usually double clutch, which really smooths out the shifts, and can save some wear on the syncronizers.

OP
OP

LBStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 V6 MT
Oh I was actually talking upshifts where the car will hold the RPMs for a second at the proper RPM for the next gear. I guess I meant rev hang, my bad

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Hi all,

So I was doing some 0-60s in my stock manual (MT82) and for the life of me couldn't get the upshift to 2nd (and frequently 3rd too) around redline to not buck like a bronco without waiting 1-2 seconds before releasing the clutch (which obviously defeats the purpose of 0-60). Do yall have any tips to get the shift right? I couldn't get it to chirp either...such a noob, I know :headbonk:

Thanks
Practice, I've done 1-2 at WOT a few times, just a matter of doing it quickly. I learned that lesson with my old car, it kind of feels like you're beating it up but it shouldn't buck if your footwork is quicker. Only thing is my old car would just outright spin through first so I'd have to shift really fast to 2nd to avoid just bouncing off the limiter so I think it was more of a forced learning experience lol.
Sponsored