Sponsored

Easiest way to run a power cable for an amp to the trunk?

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for advice on the easiest way to run power from my battery to the trunk. I've been doing some reading and it sounds like there is already a grommet in the firewall on the passenger side. I'd like to connect directly to the battery terminal instead of to the fuse block like some have done. I have a couple of questions I was hoping to get some help with...

1. What is the easiest way to route the power cable through the interior of the car and into the trunk? I was hoping if I went with 8 gauge wire that I might be able to tuck it up under the trim and sill plate on the passenger side. I have the deluxe model with the lighted sill plates so I'm a little concerned about trying to stuff a wire up in there.

2. I was hoping someone out there might be able to post a picture of the grommet from both sides of the firewall to assist me in locating it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Photos would be fantastic. Thanks in advance for the help guys!

--Tom
Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Interested in this as well, as I was considering something similar in terms of routing (moving the battery to the trunk).

OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
Interested in this as well, as I was considering something similar in terms of routing (moving the battery to the trunk).
I don't want to move the battery. I just want to run a direct power cable from the battery, through the firewall, through the cabin (on the passenger side), and into the trunk so I can install a powered sub. I'd like to disassemble the car as little as possible in the process.

I intend to buy a sub with speaker level inputs and tap into the rear speakers for an input. I also intended to buy a sub that has an "Auto on" feature so that I don't have to mess with running a wire to turn on the amp with the radio. As I said, I'm looking for the easiest possible install to get a little bass to the stereo.

I realize this setup won't produce the cleanest sound, but it's bass and I'm not an audiophile. I would be interested in finding a crossover that I can use to only send bass to the sub and the mids and highs to speakers in the rear deck. If anybody can recommend a product for that, I would really greatly appreciate the suggestion!

EDIT: Sorry daltron, I understand what you are saying now. You are just curious in the routing because you want to move your battery to the trunk. Got it! I'm sure we'll get some good advice from the people here on the site!

Last edited:

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
No I understand, what I meant was I am interested because we both are trying to basically look into doing the same thing: running wires from the engine bay to the trunk.

OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
I didn't get a chance to google this topic yet. I plan on doing that later this evening. I'm hoping I can find a youtube video. If I find any good information I'll post it.

Sponsored

stresstest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 GT Premium
My understanding is that you remove the rear part of the passenger side front wheel well liner and there is a LARGE rubber boot/grommet that will allow you to run your 4/8 gauge right through it (There is a nipple on it that you can cut as well to feed through) and that takes you right down the passenger side of the vehicle. It's easy to run from the batter straight down to it I guess.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But that's my plan

stresstest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 GT Premium
Here ya go. I stole these from another forum. Sorry to the OP there if you stumble across this post, but it is helping other pony drivers :)

Liner removed and wheel removed. Passenger side

Grommet on the passenger firewall

Close up showing the nipple

Inside the cabin

OP
OP

tomnelsonii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GTPP
X2! Thanks for taking the time to help a brother out!

Does anybody have feedback on routing the cable inside the cabin?

I was thinking of going to FleetFarm and buying some 8 gauge copper stranded wire. I would thing that should work just fine, but... is there any reason to use something else? Thanks!

:ford:

nate154

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
X2! Thanks for taking the time to help a brother out!

Does anybody have feedback on routing the cable inside the cabin?

I was thinking of going to FleetFarm and buying some 8 gauge copper stranded wire. I would thing that should work just fine, but... is there any reason to use something else? Thanks!

:ford:
I think 8 gauge will fit fine. I'm running 4 gauge because my amp says to run it. It's gonna be a tight fit. The only reason you might want to run bigger is if you want to upgrade later. If you don't wanna take off the tire, you can drill as well. Right behind the battery, the lowest part will drill right under the glove box.

Sponsored

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for advice on the easiest way to run power from my battery to the trunk. I've been doing some reading and it sounds like there is already a grommet in the firewall on the passenger side. I'd like to connect directly to the battery terminal instead of to the fuse block like some have done. I have a couple of questions I was hoping to get some help with...

1. What is the easiest way to route the power cable through the interior of the car and into the trunk? I was hoping if I went with 8 gauge wire that I might be able to tuck it up under the trim and sill plate on the passenger side. I have the deluxe model with the lighted sill plates so I'm a little concerned about trying to stuff a wire up in there.

2. I was hoping someone out there might be able to post a picture of the grommet from both sides of the firewall to assist me in locating it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Photos would be fantastic. Thanks in advance for the help guys!

--Tom
Hey Tom, Im getting ready to start some sort of install... the extents have not been determined yet. that being said, I will also be running wire to the trunk. will be 1/0 so might have to drill a hole.
one thing I wanted to note is, whenever crossing from engine bay to inside the car, you will want a fuse/breaker on the engine side for safety reasons.... might want to reconsider running straight through.

chriseco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 silver 6spd base ecoboost
I had mines put in from a audio shop but when u follow the wire from the battery there's a runnbber seal u can go throw if I remember right Steering calum there seems to be no other wires going though I might be wrong I'll double check it tomorrow and send a pic

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
Easy!

- Remove passenger fender well and cut off grommet nipple. Run wire through the top of the fender, down to the grommet and through.

rXk9BtV.jpg

- Run down along factory harness, near kick panel.

UCy6gZN.jpg

- Under the door silll trim, there is a plastic wire harness holder (bottom of pic). You can easily fit your 8 gauge through that....just snake it through to the other side. I fit my 4 gauge.

LGGtYFC.jpg

- From there just follow your factory harness to your trunk. You can zip tie it to the harness, that leads into the trunk (need to remove trim). Or don't remove the trim and just tuck it under the trim.....

Last edited:

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Shadow Black
Any pics going into the trunk? I saw a thread where the guy removed the rear seats, just wondering if seat or other trim removal is required.

PSYSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang v6
If you take the bottom of the back seat out it will make life a little easier and is not hard to remove. I used a stud under it to hook a bracket to in order to make sure my sub did not slide. You may have better luck than me, but I had issues when trying to use the auto turn on and ended up having to tap the remote wire to the rear view camera power wire.
Sponsored