Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I met with the Ford FSE this morning and he hooked up the vibration equipment to my car and we went driving. Interestingly, he doesn't try to deny that these cars have a driveline vibration. He said he has had 2 Mustang GT's as company cars and they both had it to some degree. One worse than the other and most people don't even notice it unless it is at the limit or higher. I liked his honesty but we were talking engineer to engineer at that point. At the speed where it is worst (60mph usually) it was reading .011 g's and the Ford spec is .025. So my car is less than half of the spec for the driveline frequency. But, he didn't claim that you couldn't feel it, he just said that he couldn't get it any better. He also told me the whole story about when he worked on it the first 2 times. The first time they actually pulled a driveshaft from another car on the lot and it made the vibration worse. Then they installed a new driveshaft and it was basically unchanged. Then they changed the pinion flange and it had more run out that the original flange, but it balanced with the DS much better. He said when you are balancing the DS, you are really balancing the DS, flange and part of the diff that is directly bolted to the flange. He also said that sometimes a car goes from horrible to really good with a just tiny weight added to the DS. So, the point is that it is black magic :)
My dilemma is- do I take the 100K extended warranty they are offering and call it a day or do I push on with the buyback. The vibration does annoy me, but he is shooting straight about the problem. I drove another new EB and GT on the lot, and they were both at least as bad as mine.
And, I demonstrated the clunk when going between rev/neut/drive and he checked and told them to order the front flange and nut.
Sponsored

Sick03L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang Premium Automagic
I met with the Ford FSE this morning and he hooked up the vibration equipment to my car and we went driving. Interestingly, he doesn't try to deny that these cars have a driveline vibration. He said he has had 2 Mustang GT's as company cars and they both had it to some degree. One worse than the other and most people don't even notice it unless it is at the limit or higher. I liked his honesty but we were talking engineer to engineer at that point. At the speed where it is worst (60mph usually) it was reading .011 g's and the Ford spec is .025. So my car is less than half of the spec for the driveline frequency. But, he didn't claim that you couldn't feel it, he just said that he couldn't get it any better. He also told me the whole story about when he worked on it the first 2 times. The first time they actually pulled a driveshaft from another car on the lot and it made the vibration worse. Then they installed a new driveshaft and it was basically unchanged. Then they changed the pinion flange and it had more run out that the original flange, but it balanced with the DS much better. He said when you are balancing the DS, you are really balancing the DS, flange and part of the diff that is directly bolted to the flange. He also said that sometimes a car goes from horrible to really good with a just tiny weight added to the DS. So, the point is that it is black magic :)
My dilemma is- do I take the 100K extended warranty they are offering and call it a day or do I push on with the buyback. The vibration does annoy me, but he is shooting straight about the problem. I drove another new EB and GT on the lot, and they were both at least as bad as mine.
And, I demonstrated the clunk when going between rev/neut/drive and he checked and told them to order the front flange and nut.
Ill have to look but my vibration was .027 I believe... well out of spec.

Boosty15

Young Padawan
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tri-Coat Yellow Manual Ecoboost Premium
Wheel bearings... hubs. This has been a thought of mine with all these vibration issues or at least 1 possibility.
I'm definitely not going to leave that place without some new parts or a new car. Not to mention they have free popcorn there. So I can hangout all day long if need be haha

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Others here have gotten the same offer & I just don't get it. What's the point of an extended warranty if they cannot fix the car now :shrug: What, exactly, are they guaranteeing other then you will be stuck with this issue for as long as you own the car :headbonk: + if you trade it @ a Ford dealer, they will plug it into Oasis & see it has the vibration issue. Gotta believe that will shave $$ off what they offer for it in trade.

Also, if you had any plans to mod the car in the future the ext. warr. will be instant TP.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Others here have gotten the same offer & I just don't get it. What's the point of an extended warranty if they cannot fix the car now :shrug: What, exactly, are they guaranteeing other then you will be stuck with this issue for as long as you own the car :headbonk: + if you trade it @ a Ford dealer, they will plug it into Oasis & see it has the vibration issue. Gotta believe that will shave $$ off what they offer for it in trade.

Also, if you had any plans to mod the car in the future the ext. warr. will be instant TP.
Yeah, he knew about the arbitration, of course. He said that they have hard numbers from the analyzer and if it does get worse they would take care of it. The issue is if I want a Mustang. There may be a perfectly smooth one out there, but all the cars I have driven have the vibration to some degree at 60-65 mph. If I want a different brand car, the buy back is the best option but if I want a Mustang, this is as good as it gets. I looked at Camaros but they do nothing for me although I will go drive one just to compare. Challengers are just 2 door Chargers. The whole situation kinda sucks... I have until a week from Monday to decide.

Sponsored

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I wanted to check back in-mine got a new driveshaft yesterday. It's probably 90% fixed, maybe better. It's good enough I'm not going to complain if it stays the way it is now. The tech did mention to me that a tsb has just been issued for driveshaft vibrations on these cars, and that mine was covered by that tsb.

Sick03L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang Premium Automagic

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I wanted to check back in-mine got a new driveshaft yesterday. It's probably 90% fixed, maybe better. It's good enough I'm not going to complain if it stays the way it is now. The tech did mention to me that a tsb has just been issued for driveshaft vibrations on these cars, and that mine was covered by that tsb.
Can you get the TSB number from your dealership and post it? I'm sure it'll be very helpful for everyone viewing this thread in the future as I'm sure this isn't going away any time soon.

LumenCordis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt
Mine reads as 1st order drivetrain vibration detected at 39hz, can someone decipher that plz.

Sponsored

Boosty15

Young Padawan
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tri-Coat Yellow Manual Ecoboost Premium
I have 18,863 miles on my Ecoboost. Every since 16k-ish there's been a very prevalent vibration starting at 50 and just getting worse as speed increases....and boy does the speed increase :headbang: ....I work at a dealership, just not for fords, I re-balanced the tires twice and as I was leaving work yesterday a freind was following me and he said both of my wheels were wobbling like I was missing lugnuts. Checked those and they were all at 100ft/lbs. I called the dealership I bought it from and they are looking at it tomorrow morning. Thank God for warranty.:ford:
I just got back home from the dealership......never have I been so disappointed in a selection of people haha. First I show up at 7AM like instructed but the tech assigned to my car doesn't arrive until 8am ha! He arrives does his thing blah blah blah.....2 HOURS go by and the service advisor pulls me to the side and says "were all done with your car for today, we took it up to 100mph and felt no vibrations but we did put it up on the lift and heard alot of noise coming from your front tires so it must be a balance issue".......WHAT?! My RWD car was making noise from the front wheels on a lift? I heard a part in there where you said Random Tech Fred drove my car to 100mph when I explicitly stated 55-75mph is when the vibration was at its peak...haha needless to say I threw a couple words around got a little loud went out to the parking lot sat in my car and called Ford Corporate. Escalated case and some free stuff from the dealership...like I'm ever going back there haha!:lol:

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Mine reads as 1st order drivetrain vibration detected at 39hz, can someone decipher that plz.
39Hz is the frequency it is vibrating at- 39 cycles/sec. 1st order harmonic would be the primary frequency the DS wants to vibrate at or "ring" at like a wind chime or bell- also called the natural frequency. A 2nd order harmonic would be 2x39 or 78 Hz. The amplitude (G's) is what you feel. So the higher the amplitude the more you feel the vibration. They can match the frequency of the vibration to the frequency that different parts of the car are rotating at and tell where the vibration is coming from. That is what the vibration analyzer does. When the FSE was in my car he said some of the vibration I was feeling was actually engine. The amplitude is what they use to set the spec. That's the number you want to know- how many G's at a certain frequency.

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
What's a sure fire way to know if my car has this. Do you all feel it in the rear view mirror?

At 65mph I can't read the license plate of the car behind me, it's vibrating too much. If I hold it down with a finger, it smooths out.

I don't really feel it in the wheel or floor, but I'm not positive.

LumenCordis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt
What's a sure fire way to know if my car has this. Do you all feel it in the rear view mirror?

At 65mph I can't read the license plate of the car behind me, it's vibrating too much. If I hold it down with a finger, it smooths out.

I don't really feel it in the wheel or floor, but I'm not positive.

Lemme put it this way, I've driven for 17 years, owned 5 mustangs and the first time I drove mine, there was no second guessing something was majorly wrong. Like clockwork mine starts at 55 and becomes the worst at 60-65. You can feel it in the wheel, pedal, floorboard and seat. So if you can say this about your car you have it, if your not sure, safe to say you atleast dont have it as anywhere near as bad.
Sponsored