Sponsored

Garage lifts??

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Do yourself a favor and check out http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/?gclid=CJSi0ebXl84CFUFahgod-JEDOg they have all the lift you will ever need. Don't need an industrial lift you can get one for just over $2,000.

You can also have your garage door converted to a side mount motor and the door will lift straight up to ceiling and clear any car on the lift. Door wil go straight up and then if needed (depending on height of ceiling) it will hug against ceiling.
Id prefer to have a lift with ali/etl certified. While some of cheaper models are, the maintenance costs and long term reliability isnt there generally with the cheaper models. Ill stick woth rotary or mohawk.
Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Id prefer to have a lift with ali/etl certified. While some of cheaper models are, the maintenance costs and long term reliability isnt there generally with the cheaper models. Ill stick woth rotary or mohawk.
The Benpak I have is ANSI/ALI & ETL certified and was only $2,600.00

My Atlas is ANSI certified and was $2,100.00

I'm not knocking rotary or mowhawk they are just not needed in a home environment. They would be needed when lifting a vehicle up and down 50 times a day but not for your average shady tree mechanic at home.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Any kind of drop kit on your car and you won't clear.
I cut 4 2x12 squares from a 8' piece of wood and drive up on them to gain clearance for the lift arms. $8.00 and problem solved lol

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
The Benpak I have is ANSI/ALI & ETL certified and was only $2,600.00

My Atlas is ANSI certified and was $2,100.00

I'm not knocking rotary or mowhawk they are just not needed in a home environment. They would be needed when lifting a vehicle up and down 50 times a day but not for your average shady tree mechanic at home.
I do a bit more then most people being im a master tech by trade. I also want a higher quality tier lift if im going to be using it to keep my car lifted for storage also. I want to avoid the headaches that can come with the cheaper side of lifts. I just am not okay with the higher maintenance cost for the cheaper lifts either. My last rotary i had 14 years and only put 200 bucks in it. I dont disagree that the others will suit some of the guys here, but they wont suit some peoples needs or standards here. They arent horrible by any means though. I completely understand people not wanting to spend 5-10g on a lift

Last edited:

Sponsored

bmailpb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I cut 4 2x12 squares from a 8' piece of wood and drive up on them to gain clearance for the lift arms. $8.00 and problem solved lol
That's always an option, but most people have to park over it on a daily basis, and making sure you are RIGHT on the wood every time makes for stressful parking.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's always an option, but most people have to park over it on a daily basis, and making sure you are RIGHT on the wood every time makes for stressful parking.
The arms fold out of the way and to park there you just drive in. Only need the blocks when needing the height to slide the arms under the car.

MrBoogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I don't have one myself, but I helped a friend install a Rotary two post in his shed. Pay attention to the thickness of your slab before you bolt it down. My buddy's floor had a couple thin spots we noticed when drilling, which I thought may start cracks. They did. We ended up taking it all back out, cutting 24"x24" squares out of the floor, and pouring reinforced pads. It may not be an issue with a four post since the weight is distributed over twice the area.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have four 4-post racks and they're great for storage. HOWEVER, the car is still sitting on its wheels which limits you to exhaust and oil changing. It'd be nice to be able to do brakes and suspension stuff.
I have a 4 post lift with a sliding trolley jack that allows me to lift the wheels off the rails for brake work. I hemmed and hawed for quite a while between 2 or 4 post lift but my mind was made up when I was offered a screaming deal on the 4 post lift that was on display at World of Wheels a few years ago.

The only thing I can't do is drop an engine on the K frame out the bottom. I haven't regretted not getting the 2 post lift once in the years I have had my 4 poster. I am thankful every time I want to put the car up and don't have to get down on my hands and knees to set the arms on a 2 poster. Something I never thought of before I got the lift is the rails are a perfect tray for your tools, always right there in easy reach.

Another thing to consider is the floor of your garage. The typical garage floor is only 3" thick which is not enough to anchor a 2 post lift. If you don't have an adequate floor it will have to be dug out and a thicker section re-pored which will add to the cost.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 4 post lift with a sliding trolley jack that allows me to lift the wheels off the rails for brake work. I hemmed and hawed for quite a while between 2 or 4 post lift but my mind was made up when I was offered a screaming deal on the 4 post lift that was on display at World of Wheels a few years ago.

The only thing I can't do is drop an engine on the K frame out the bottom. I haven't regretted not getting the 2 post lift once in the years I have had my 4 poster. I am thankful every time I want to put the car up and don't have to get down on my hands and knees to set the arms on a 2 poster. Something I never thought of before I got the lift is the rails are a perfect tray for your tools, always right there in easy reach.

Another thing to consider is the floor of your garage. The typical garage floor is only 3" thick which is not enough to anchor a 2 post lift. If you don't have an adequate floor it will have to be dug out and a thicker section re-pored which will add to the cost.

Very good points. Having both I can say without a doubt I prefer to work on the 2 post. Sooooo much easier even having to put the arms in place.

I also have the sliding jack for my 4 post incase I'm doing a job and at the last minute need to pull the tires off. I just cant get past having the ramps in my way, even with the tires off. I agree with having a great place to keep the tools lol. Its pretty tough to get the one piece exhaust down on the 4 post as well due to the ramps being in the way.

Luckily for me the wife and I had our house built so I requested thicker and reenforced concrete where the lift was going and some extra ceiling height.

I will say that if I could only have 1 lift I would probably get the 4 post with a rolling jack (probably 2).

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I built my garage and poured 6" of 4000 psi concrete for the floor so I was ready to go either way. My 4 poster also came with plastic trays so you can store a car on top and one underneath without worry of any dripping.