Sponsored

Michelin Pilot Super Sport to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

solshinobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium , Kona Blue, 10 Spd Auto
So I have 19x10(F) and 19x11(R) Need4Speed 6GR wheels and once i got rid of the stock tires, which were really bad btw, I went to Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I had these for a little over a year. They performed awesomely. I've was even able to use these in a southern winter in Arkansas with these summer tires. I've had very minor issues with traction in 20 to 30 degree weather. In the wet, the tires have just performed on a stellar level. :love:

So I recently had to replace my tires. My fronts are 285/35R19s and found out that I could only get run flats in this size. :mad: After all the nightmare stories of wear and lack of performance i stayed clear and had to give Tire Rack an IM. Seems that Michelin is discontinuing the Pilot Super Sport line and going to a new benchmark, the Pilot Sport 4S. I was able to get a stellar deal on my new rears and they still had Pilot Super Sport, so I went from 305/35R19s to 325/30R19s, as the 305s had a slight stretch on the 19x11 wheel and i wanted a "meatier" look. I also wanted a larger contact patch as I broke traction a lot.

The Pilot Sport 4S are supposed to use an upgraded technology of the previous Pilot Super Sport compound. Thus far, they seem quieter but take a small amount time of warming up before hitting it hard. I tend to corner aggressively as I have many bimmers, wrxs, and so on try to stay with me or out corner me on the streets in "normal" driving. What I've noticed is that if cold, the Pilot Sport 4S will give a few millimeters of give and then grab HARD. After this they won't do this again and i could not get them to give again. If they have chance to warm up, say a few minutes of driving, they won't give. The new sidewall design is also a plus.

Just thought i'd chime in on this. Hope this didn't bore anyone to tears. :headbonk:

Here are some pics. Sorry the ride is dirty as it just finished raining.

tire_pics1.jpg
tire_pics2.jpg
tire_pics3.jpg
tire_pics4.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
any straight line traction difference? or is it mainly just increased cornering and rain traction?

OP
OP
solshinobi

solshinobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
any straight line traction difference? or is it mainly just increased cornering and rain traction?
I can only comment on the cornering and rain difference thus far. Cornering is very sharp. From what i saw from another review channel that covers tires only, Michelin supposedly did a redesign on their outer and inner compound on the Pilot Sport 4S. It does better stopping in the dry and wet and is a faster tire. I would guess that it is faster straight line, however i still have the Pilot Super Sports in the rear.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I can only comment on the cornering and rain difference thus far. Cornering is very sharp. From what i saw from another review channel that covers tires only, Michelin supposedly did a redesign on their outer and inner compound on the Pilot Sport 4S. It does better stopping in the dry and wet and is a faster tire. I would guess that it is faster straight line, however i still have the Pilot Super Sports in the rear.
ok i have regular NT05s right now which i really dont care for and was looking to grab some left over MPSS or the new 4S

ronnieb1958

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So I have 19x10(F) and 19x11(R) Need4Speed 6GR wheels and once i got rid of the stock tires, which were really bad btw, I went to Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I had these for a little over a year. They performed awesomely. I've was even able to use these in a southern winter in Arkansas with these summer tires. I've had very minor issues with traction in 20 to 30 degree weather. In the wet, the tires have just performed on a stellar level. :love:

So I recently had to replace my tires. My fronts are 285/35R19s and found out that I could only get run flats in this size. :mad: After all the nightmare stories of wear and lack of performance i stayed clear and had to give Tire Rack an IM. Seems that Michelin is discontinuing the Pilot Super Sport line and going to a new benchmark, the Pilot Sport 4S. I was able to get a stellar deal on my new rears and they still had Pilot Super Sport, so I went from 305/35R19s to 325/30R19s, as the 305s had a slight stretch on the 19x11 wheel and i wanted a "meatier" look. I also wanted a larger contact patch as I broke traction a lot.

The Pilot Sport 4S are supposed to use an upgraded technology of the previous Pilot Super Sport compound. Thus far, they seem quieter but take a small amount time of warming up before hitting it hard. I tend to corner aggressively as I have many bimmers, wrxs, and so on try to stay with me or out corner me on the streets in "normal" driving. What I've noticed is that if cold, the Pilot Sport 4S will give a few millimeters of give and then grab HARD. After this they won't do this again and i could not get them to give again. If they have chance to warm up, say a few minutes of driving, they won't give. The new sidewall design is also a plus.

Just thought i'd chime in on this. Hope this didn't bore anyone to tears. :headbonk:

tire_pics1.jpg
tire_pics2.jpg
tire_pics3.jpg
tire_pics4.jpg

Can I get a full side shot?

Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Thank you for sharing the experience with the new Michelin 4s,

We have some on a S550 here at the shop and so far its been doing great and like you mention
they do seem a lot quieter then the regular Michelin PSS

OP
OP
solshinobi

solshinobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ok i have regular NT05s right now which i really dont care for and was looking to grab some left over MPSS or the new 4S
My tires currently last roughly a year. Sometimes a little over, sometimes less depending on driving. Handling wise I think you will like them. They aren't bad traction wise either but you have more go than me lol.

OP
OP
solshinobi

solshinobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
solshinobi

solshinobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for sharing the experience with the new Michelin 4s,

We have some on a S550 here at the shop and so far its been doing great and like you mention
they do seem a lot quieter then the regular Michelin PSS
That was the first thing I noticed. Quiet and grippy.:cheers:

Grim12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Looks good! I am currently running 305/35/19 MPSS on my 6GR wheels. Hard to tell from your pics, but with the 325's you have now, you don't having any rubbing? They don't poke out of the wheel wells?

Sponsored
OP
OP
solshinobi

solshinobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can I get a full side shot?
Looks good! I am currently running 305/35/19 MPSS on my 6GR wheels. Hard to tell from your pics, but with the 325's you have now, you don't having any rubbing? They don't poke out of the wheel wells?
Got some better pics. It does not rub tire wise. I know it looks close parking but it clears with no issue.

20170701_180719.jpg

20170701_180620.jpg

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
I appreciate the post... as I just purchased these from Need4Speed and awaiting delivery.....

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker

tire_pics1.jpg
tire_pics2.jpg
tire_pics3.jpg
tire_pics4.jpg
So you're running 325/30-19's in the rear - how about the fronts?

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I'm running the mp4s in 265/30/20 all around on my Audi and they have outstanding lateral dry grip, plus they cut consistent low 1.5 60'
That's a pretty serious set-up you have there. :thumbsup:
Sponsored