Sponsored

Ford Names New CEO, Jim Hackett, in Big Leadership Shakeup

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
What I find interesting is the money spent on developing self driving semi-trucks. They are thought to be safer than drivers who may doze off.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Regardless of whether the cars are able to successfully and safely navigate on their own without outside communication, I do agree that points 2 and 3 are very helpful goals that should be worked toward.
Be careful what you wish for. Would you want your current speed or last braking or cornering g's broadcast to the nearest LEO on traffic duty? Or end up with your insurance company? Or your approximate location (so that other vehicles in your current vicinity know where yours is) to somebody else who realizes "hey, this guy isn't home".

At some point I believe we'll need to see some serious standardization on communication protocols, through government mandates, gentlemen's agreements or possibly just attrition & common sense.
Sounds like something that hackers might like to see happen (would certainly simplify their nefarious business). That's going to become an even bigger and more sensitive topic as time goes by, likely with insurance consequences.

You might try to subscribe to 'Telematics Talk' (an occasional e-mailed newsletter).

Norm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Be careful what you wish for. Would you want your current speed or last braking or cornering g's broadcast to the nearest LEO on traffic duty? Or end up with your insurance company? Or your approximate location (so that other vehicles in your current vicinity know where yours is) to somebody else who realizes "hey, this guy isn't home".

Sounds like something that hackers might like to see happen (would certainly simplify their nefarious business). That's going to become an even bigger and more sensitive topic as time goes by, likely with insurance consequences.

You might try to subscribe to 'Telematics Talk' (an occasional e-mailed newsletter).

Norm
All legitimate and terrifying concerns, Norm, but all necessary, IMO to have autonomous vehicles become the norm. Their biggest advantage in traffic is mass platooning, and the ability to do that at high rate of speed with minimal following distance. The enabler for that is V2V and V2I communication.

Rich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6, Suzuki C50, former 67 Mustang owner
Appointing Jim Hackett as new CEO is not just about profits. When you consider the division he headed, it is about the future of the automobile industry. With electric self-driving vehicles eventually becoming the norm, most people will not drive or own their own cars. No car in the garage, no insurance, no vehicle maintenance. It will become much more cost effective to program the size vehicle you need. It shows up in front of your residence in 5 minutes, you get in and watch tv or read the news on the on-board computer screen while the vehicle takes you to your destination, then travels to the next nearest passenger. Ford, as well as other automobile manufactures have to be ahead of the curve or become irrelevant.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Where do motorcyclists fit into all this self driving religion?
My understanding is the only change to motorcycles will be to make them from nerf foam so as to not scratch or dent the self driving cars. ;)

Also riders will be required to have a significant body fat ratio for the same reason.

VinceC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i
I predict that appointing a recent former head of an office furniture manufacturer whose background is in finance will not end well for Ford. They need a car guy to head that company (heck, at least Mulally had a background and two degrees in engineering).

But as a bean counter, I'm sure Hackett will do a stellar job of cutting jobs and overhead; you know, "increasing productivity" (we all know what that phrase really means, right?). I'm sure they're all singing "Happy Days Are Here Again" in the hallways in Dearborn...

And I find it incredibly ironic that as I type this post there's an ad for National Business Furniture on the page...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
. . . most people will not drive or own their own cars. No car in the garage, no insurance, no vehicle maintenance. It will become much more cost effective to program the size vehicle you need. It shows up in front of your residence in 5 minutes, you get in and watch tv or read the news on the on-board computer screen while the vehicle takes you to your destination, then travels to the next nearest passenger.
Not a lifestyle I want any part of (and don't count on "no insurance" ever happening - it'll still be there, just buried in the monthly car usage bill).

Norm

PeterPerfect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z3 2.8
My understanding is the only change to motorcycles will be to make them from nerf foam so as to not scratch or dent the self driving cars. ;)

Also riders will be required to have a significant body fat ratio for the same reason.
No need to ride anywhere, just send Yamaha's Motobot out to do your riding for you.

They are hoping for a race against Rossi by the end of the year.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Not surprised by the change. Strategically, Ford is being outpaced by the competition. Tactically, the quality issues (poor panel alignment, recalls, overheating performance cars...) show laziness, overconfidence, or both. Yeah, other cars have issues too, but if you want to be a winner do you compare yourself to losers? The Blue Oval needs some changes. The numbers speak for themselves.
Sponsored