Sponsored

Problems with meth?

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang (Black)
About to get methanol, jus wondering if anyone has had experience running methanol. Was it successful? Issues? I can't see anything negative since it's comparable to e85 except cleans valves and burns cooler. Just want to make sure I make a good choice here (corn isn't an option either)
Sponsored

JSCOTT0812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
I'm running the meth parts that are in my signature and it's working great! No issues as long as you ensure all fittings and such are tight so that you don't have any leaks.

OP
OP
Blyman93

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm running the meth parts that are in my signature and it's working great! No issues as long as you ensure all fittings and such are tight so that you don't have any leaks.
Are you using a failsafe? Or just a progressive controller? Also are you boost operated?

I have the AEM kit, probably gonna get the failsafe for that that datalogs as well as watches afr and your plot points. I see you have the Vargas, my concern was getting into too much power and ruining my day but your pushing more than I would be.

JSCOTT0812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
My failsafe is the accessport. I monitor STFT (short term fuel trim) and that gives me the heads up on if it's injecting properly by the engine requiring less fuel, a - number. And I'm 100% boost operated. Progressive that starts at 13 psi and reaches max injection at 20psi. I'm also running RGA at the same time as a "second failsafe." So even if the meth kit stops injecting the way it should I have the backup of 96-97 octane to keep me safe. So far I haven't had any issues with the meth kit and I've had it for over a year.

OP
OP
Blyman93

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What setup do you have if a fuel erro occurs like a hose issue or low meth or pump? Is there a safeguard in place to switch maps and cut off timing/boost?

Sponsored

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I installed a used Tune+ WMI kit a couple of month ago without any issues so far. The real test will be when it gets to around 120 degrees during the peak summer season in the Phoenix area.

Tune+ kit is basically AEM kit with mounting brackets for the tank and pump, an on/off switch, and a relay for fail-safe. If the controller detects a fault or low fluid level, the relay opens the circuit for a wire on the ECU which disabled the throttle and puts the car in the limp mode. This will allow you to pull over, shut the car off, shut the WMI kit, start the car, and switch to non-WMI tune.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]r9LDKQh9Tlc[/MEDIA]"] is the link to the Tune+ WMI install.

As for monitoring, I installed the LED status light above my steering wheel so I can see if they are any fault codes. I have charge temp, knock count, timing correction, STFT, and OAR displayed on the AP as well.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
A local mechanic warned against using meth because it introduces water into the engine. Potentially creating problems and corrosion...with the turbo in particular. i would be curious to hear what others think about his theory.

OP
OP
Blyman93

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually have the exact same AEM kit right now. Was just considering getting the "failsafe" gauge for its data logging and I thought it helped detect more than the controller but if that controller detects flow failure or supply or AFR issues, then I could save my 300$ for something else.

On the note of water, everything should be burned in combustion. The only water I know of collecting is of you inject at the intercooler which could pool up, but injecting throttle body everything is used. Hence the cooler combustion temps. This of course to the best of my knowledge, not the final verdict.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
A local mechanic warned against using meth because it introduces water into the engine. Potentially creating problems and corrosion...with the turbo in particular. i would be curious to hear what others think about his theory.
There is nothing getting sprayed into the turbo or intercooler. Water/meth gets sprayed in post intercooler usually in the cold side charge pipe. the tune+ kit used a spacer behind the throttle body. The water/meth mixture gets used during combustion along with the gasoline from the cars DI system. Water vapor does exit the engine and runs through the turbo but it's superheated and will not be able to condense back to liquid in the engine or turbo. Water vapor is actually part of normal combustion on all cars and will be no different than a car without water/meth. There is no added issues with corrosion.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Blyman93

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

jcart953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
OP
OP
Blyman93

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks aw some, unique but a great design. I'm gonna use that as well as a solenoid over a check valve so I'm guaranteed no unwanted flow. The only problem I have is the AEM progressive controller doesn't seem to warn of low to no flow, only pump failure or wiring. Having a hose come off or something else would be serious, I don't really want to spend 300$ on that AEM failsafe gauge of I don't have to, hoping someone could shoot an idea?

juan_tony1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
ECO DIB TANG
Using the tune+ Kit since it was initially released, really helps bring temps down
Sponsored