Sponsored

FP Tune dyno vs. GT dyno?

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I had a chance to drive a friend's GT today, but it was in town and so we couldn't really stretch its legs. My question concerns power at the more usual in-town and easy highway day-to-day driving situations, not top end... I realize it may be my imagination, but the GT actually did not feel like it had any more power than my Ford Performance tuned Ecoboost - especially at lower RPMs below 3,500 RPM or so. "Seat-of-the-pants" dyno it almost seemed like my Ecoboost had more low end torque than the GT. :shrug:

I've seen dyno graphs comparing same model engines with and without mods, but couldn't find a search result that compared an Ecoboost FP tune cross-referenced to a stock GT. How do the numbers compare?

PS: please, no need to microwave any popcorn for this thread, I know the GT carries a 100 horsepower advantage.... just wondering what's going on in lower RPMS, especially the torque ratings. There's more than enough GT vs Ecoboost threads here, I'm just curious about the dyno numbers / comparative charts (if available).
Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
The 5.0 is not a torque monster. Most tuned EB make more peak torque than a stock Coyote and carry more under the curve as well, its just the nature of these small fast spooling turbos (although ours fall on their face while the 5.0 pulls forever and has way more modding potential). If you want seat of the pants kick, pushrod V8 or a positive displacement blower are your friends.

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
the 5.0 is best for the V8 sound and high rpm power. mid range torque is better on a tuned Ecoboost engine.

a big torque kick will be found more on the Mopar 6.4 Hemi or GM 6.2 Gen V LT1

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
All the power in an Ecoboost is between 2000-5000 RPM (6000 if tuned) which makes it feel really fast at the ranges you typically drive.

The Coyote has all of its power from 4000-7000+ RPM so at regular speeds it is putting out less power than the I4 and will feel slower unless you drive it in second gear in town, 3rd on the highway to keep the revs up.

I Imagine that given the same driver and tires, the time difference (0-60,1/4 mile) between a GT and a FRPP EB to be around the same difference between a GT and an SS or less

Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I would also be interested to see the dyno charts overlaid. I've been also very curious.

Side note I took my manual EB in for a repair today and got a auto V6 loaner. I now see why people think anything other than the V8 is under powered. I imagine an auto EB would be a bit more what im used to but still, I had forgotten how much input lag you get with an auto.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I have just went thru this same feeling. I was sure I wanted a GT. Sold my motorcycles and other stuff and god a good amount set aside to trade the ecoboost in. I just needed to decide Base or premium. I have test drove 4 now. @ manual and 2 auto. Both auto were 3.15. the one stick was 3.73. None of these got me excited. I so certain I was going to me like, I don't care how much more it costs, I just need this. Especially since my first car was a fox 5.0. The auto's were really mild below 3500. Very little pull. The 3.73 was the best but not by a lot. Again, I had a normal test drive thru most common driving scenarios with a couple straight sections I could get it above 4000. And really it needs to be above 4000 to get the excitement. Granted is was more fun then the Eco when doing that. But all the rest of the drive which represents 80 of my daily driving, it was boring. My wife drove it too and mentioned do I really want a slower car? She of course didn't run it hard. I drove my ecoboost on the same route home and was actually disappointed that the ecoboost felt much quicker. I really wanted to get a gt. I now have a new appreciation for our motors and plan to take the 10000 I was going to use to upgrade on a whole another car. Like an 05 GT. Drove one with cams and such and it was a blast and cheaper then upgrading to the GT. If I did any kind of racing the coyote would be awesome though.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I have just went thru this same feeling. I was sure I wanted a GT. Sold my motorcycles and other stuff and god a good amount set aside to trade the ecoboost in. I just needed to decide Base or premium. I have test drove 4 now. @ manual and 2 auto. Both auto were 3.15. the one stick was 3.73. None of these got me excited. I so certain I was going to me like, I don't care how much more it costs, I just need this. Especially since my first car was a fox 5.0. The auto's were really mild below 3500. Very little pull. The 3.73 was the best but not by a lot. Again, I had a normal test drive thru most common driving scenarios with a couple straight sections I could get it above 4000. And really it needs to be above 4000 to get the excitement. Granted is was more fun then the Eco when doing that. But all the rest of the drive which represents 80 of my daily driving, it was boring. My wife drove it too and mentioned do I really want a slower car? She of course didn't run it hard. I drove my ecoboost on the same route home and was actually disappointed that the ecoboost felt much quicker. I really wanted to get a gt. I now have a new appreciation for our motors and plan to take the 10000 I was going to use to upgrade on a whole another car. Like an 05 GT. Drove one with cams and such and it was a blast and cheaper then upgrading to the GT. If I did any kind of racing the coyote would be awesome though.
I would love, love, love to get another 4.6L V8 and build it up again. Cams and longtubes make the 4.6L sound absolutely amazing. I had a nice lopey idle on my 4.6L with my Crower cams. Sounded like a muscle car from the 60's.
I browse autotrader.com from time to time looking for an 05-09 that are cheap.
Problem is, they aren't cheap yet. LOL.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I was so happy with the sound of that cammed 4.6. And even the power was pretty good. Much better then the new coyote sound to me. Too raspy for me. But your right, I can't find any cheap ones. I am finding a few around 10000 and a few a little lower and they sold right away. I'm sure it is prime season for people wanting them too. But it turned out I was going to need to put out 10000 to 14000 or more to trade in my eco for a GT of the exact same trim. Well it was even 10000 pretty much to go from premium to base. I found a 05 salvage title with a light front hit for 4000 I might consider. Then I will have my ecoboost (sportscar) and a muscle car. We'll see.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
All the ones I see are around the 15k mark.

Cams, longtubes, supercharger + 15k would put you around 25k and you'd be sitting on an easy 550+hp badass sounding car.

DO IT. For me. My wife won't let me buy one just yet since I just got my EB 7 months ago.

Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Well my wife is good with the 10000 budget that I now have built up by selling the other stuff I had. I'll be doing baby steps up to the supercharger and 25000 mark. LOL. The 4000 salvage car gives me some room to work with though. I used to race a lot and built the motors for that stuff (roadbike racing and go-kart) and after a few to many broken bones that ship has now sailed. But I really do miss working on motors and suspension and stuff. Thats another reason this idea is starting to become more appealing then just getting into a GT. Kids still keep it busy and expensive too so I need to find the balance.

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15' EB Prem PP, 07' GT (track Car), 01' RC51, 16" S1000XR
I am in full agreement of the EB daily and an 05-09 4.6 car. Been building my 07' GT into my track car since last October. Had it out on VIR last month and just loved that experience. It's just so much fun. I don't street drive it much now because well track pads don't like street driving and I don't have a street set of pads and rotors yet.

But in truth the EB is definitely faster than my 4.6 at the moment. Of course it's tuned and the 4.6 is stock.

I may be crazy but I have seriously considered putting a 2.3 EB in the S197 just to see how it would handle. A built 4.6 would run more $$ than a 2.3 swap potentially if the right donor can be found. Of course a built 2.3 would be more but maybe a wash. Like I said seriously considering it.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Seriously, the 2.3 ecoboost really does not get enough credit. I really think ford should have given it a racier name. Like they did way back with the SVO. Yeah when I drove a stock 08 GT i could not believe how much stronger ESPECIALLY the torque was in the eco. But then I drove the modified 05 GT and it was maybe even a little stronger then the Ecoboost. Pretty sure it was stronger up near redline. I'm glad to here your happy with what you are doing with the 07 because I haven't counted out a track day or two with it once done also. I first need to get he car though. Lol. Still looking for a decent deal. Sounds like a heck of an idea you have there with the motor swap. I'm sure it would work great. Could be fun!

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15' EB Prem PP, 07' GT (track Car), 01' RC51, 16" S1000XR
tw557 if your budget is 10k. I've seen decent, for a track car, examples in the 5-7k range. They will need suspension, brakes, wheels/tires before they are track worthy but that doesn't mean you can't run them as is before the upgrades. Just understand that you may not be able to run as hard as you want until some mods, specifically brakes and tires, have been done. Plan on an easy 5k for suspension, brakes, wheels/tires.

If you are looking for a pristine example of an 05-09 S197 you probably don't want to make a track car out of it. And unless you're buying a track car that's already got all the right modifications done don't spend the extra money on a nicer looking car. Buy the one in the best mechanical shape that is closest to where you want to end up when you're finished.

These are the thoughts of the guy who just spent maybe too much money on mods for my track car.:D:D:headbonk::headbonk:

Happy anyway.

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
I had forgotten how much input lag you get with an auto.
Why do people still say things like this? The auto is quicker than the manual...
Sponsored