Sponsored

Cost for intercooler swap?

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
Just bought the cp-e standard intercooler so no mods needed for install ... direct replacement. I don't have jacks etc so plan on having it done, I know it is pretty simple but what would the install cost.
Thanks in advance,
James
Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
At a fair shop I could see them charging 2-3 hours. So 250-300? That'd be the upper limit on what I would be comfortable with.

OP
OP
JamesinLittleSilver

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks that was roughly what I was thinking.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
If you have some DIY skills buy a set of ramps...install not that difficult, only takes a few hours.

Sponsored

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
The first intercooler I installed in my car I didn't lift the car off the ground at all. Took a few hours. It's not difficult to install just a little more annoying without jacking it up. Second intercooler I used ramps and after knowing the procedure it took half the time. I would suggest you go get some rhino ramps for $30 at walmart and do it yourself or with a buddy. Always feels rewarding when you do modifications yourself.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Yea, if your up to it and have the space, invest the install money into the tools that you'll have forever. Plenty of good how to videos on how to install the intercooler.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
In NJ, it would be 130 x 3 hours plus the cost of parts x 7 percent sales tax.

So 530 for the intercooler part, and 420 for labor. 950 dollars for an intercooler.

Welcome to Jersey. I asked around 3 different shops and it basically feels like a price fixed rate at 120-130 dollars per hour for at least 3 hours. I might get lucky and find one that could do it in two hours, but that would only be because they would not know any better about the Ford Ecoboost.

OP
OP
JamesinLittleSilver

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all, I found a local shop to do it for $130 wahoo! I have done some other stuff with them and I think he likes my car. Appreciate all the input, it was good that it is a direct swap no mods needed so he had good idea of time. I did a few mods on my own but this one is right on borderline.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
$130 is a good price. I would have paid that much not to have to do it myself. By the way now you need to get cp-e's downpipe and tune for it...then you've got some serious punch.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JamesinLittleSilver

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got the FP Tune coming in :ford: :D. After that I think I am more or less done....yeah right.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
130 dollars? Sheesh, it might be worth the drive for me in Jersey to go there. How many hours is that, one?

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
I got the FP Tune coming in :ford: :D. After that I think I am more or less done....yeah right.
Good idea. I would not touch the downpipe with a FP tune.

One thing I forgot about with the FP tune on a stock intercooler is now that turbo is drawing in more air at a faster rate. With our current heat wave, it's very easy to see inlet temps above 110 degrees. Def think about doing this soon, and if I can find a reputable place that can do it for that cheap I am all in.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
Do you really need to jack up the car to replace the intercooler?.. taking off the bumper is super easy even on the ground.. I figure that's all you need to do isn't it?..

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Do you really need to jack up the car to replace the intercooler?.. taking off the bumper is super easy even on the ground.. I figure that's all you need to do isn't it?..
I don't think you need to jack the car up. Getting to the 10-12 screws for the plastic belly pan is the only thing that helps to have the front end off the ground.
Sponsored