Sponsored

Engine blew up

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
No, what's dumb is you failing to realize there was a problem with the 2015 ecoboost motor. It's INFERIOR to both the 2016 and 2017.

There is absolutely no issue with modding a car. I modded a TDI with a bigger turbo, tune, bigger nozzles, etc and it made over twice the horsepower it did stock, on stock internals. All these mods took place after the car had 200k miles on it and it held up fine and continues to provide trouble free driving.

The point is, it shouldn't blow up, but it does.
What's your proof that the 2016's where made any differently other than being manufactured in Michigan? I read about this a lot here, but I would like to see some kind of article or specs. I know it might be futile to see engineering specs of how they are different, but it would help settle my fear of modding my car passed the ford performance tune.
Sponsored

OP
OP
hipporo

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
I"m really sorry to hear that man that's a huge bummer. Do you have the car in your possession? Curious if it is Spanish or american built motor. What exactly happened to it?
I checked the engine and it is a Spanish built. EE100 051214... I think it was built on 12/05/14.

Mine blew up, too. Also a 2015. Also a hole by the turbo (7 holes total, actually).
For me, as someone who drag races a lot, it made sense to go the built motor route. However, the factor you may not be considering in the increase of cost going to the built motor (2-3k you mentioned over the factory replacement cost) is all the supporting mods to allow it to work like intended: driveshaft, halfshafts, clutch, larger turbo, more fuel, etc/etc/etc. Of course, you could opt not to do any of those things and just have a built motor for safety reasons.
I'm sorry to hear about your car. I probably will not do any heavy mods in the future. But yes, I thought the same as you said, I'm thinking on having a built motor to not have (or less chance to have) blown engine in the future. I am not sure how reliable the built motors are... Can I use the same turbo and other components with a built engine?

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
What's your proof that the 2016's where made any differently other than being manufactured in Michigan?
Lol you must be new

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
What's your proof that the 2016's where made any differently other than being manufactured in Michigan? I read about this a lot here, but I would like to see some kind of article or specs. I know it might be futile to see engineering specs of how they are different, but it would help settle my fear of modding my car passed the ford performance tune.
+1

Perhaps the 15 motors are more prone to blowing up but saying that the 16's and 17's are safe to mod doesn't make any sense. ANY motor can/will blow up whether it's a tune issue, manufacturer defect, etc.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Lol you must be new
No - it's just that everyone who says this seems to be pulling it out of thin air. I read about this in numerous posts with nothing to back it up. I am not trying to argue, but would like to see some facts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
hipporo

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
Might be worth it to simply go with the Ford Performance tune and stock engine then.

Adam is cool... nice to know he is giving honest advice instead of trying to make a sale (not that it was ever a question).

Unleashed... hope you were on "winter tune".
Yes, Adam is cool.
I was using summer tune since here in Florida is already over 80F during the day time. Sometimes it gets colder, like 45F, in the morning though. Do you think this was one of the problem?

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No - it's just that everyone who says this seems to be pulling it out of thin air. I read about this in numerous posts with nothing to back it up. I am not trying to argue, but would like to see some facts.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62262&highlight=ecoboost+engine+build+date

I believe IIRC things didn't match torque specs during assembly for rod bolts.
Without numbers in front of me it's a general consencious that the 2015 Spanish motors have blown far more than the Cleveland motors. Just search Eco boom and count how many are 2016

Last edited:

s550stprmtrooper

s550StormTrooper
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT
Look up the service engine. Its the reman longblock they use for warranty replacements. Actually really good prices and warranties. I THINK your part number would be FR3Z-6006-C

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
The only thing I see in that thread worth mentioning is Adam taking a part an engine and saying that the rod bolts might have not been torqued on correctly. If adam can take apart a 2015 early engine from Spain and compare it to the 2016 from Cleveland or Michigan and see a difference in built quality, I would be very surprised.

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only thing I see in that thread worth mentioning is Adam taking a part an engine and saying that the rod bolts might have not been torqued on correctly. If adam can take apart a 2015 early engine from Spain and compare it to the 2016 from Cleveland or Michigan and see a difference in built quality, I would be very surprised.
rod bolt torque specs being all over the place arnt enough of a concern for you then I can't help you. Also betting against Adam won't yield promising odds. This is all general knowledge. I'm out good luck. To the OP I'm really sorry this happened, best of luck bud.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ebm

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
No, what's dumb is you failing to realize there was a problem with the 2015 ecoboost motor. It's INFERIOR to both the 2016 and 2017.
Could be... or it could be several dozen other things as well... like early tunes... mods... etc. Neither one of us know for sure. But I'm sure you are the Expert.

There is absolutely no issue with modding a car. I modded a TDI with a bigger turbo, tune, bigger nozzles, etc and it made over twice the horsepower it did stock, on stock internals. All these mods took place after the car had 200k miles on it and it held up fine and continues to provide trouble free driving.

The point is, it shouldn't blow up, but it does.
Reading comprehension is not your forte? Go back and read my post s-l-o-w-l-y.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Yes, Adam is cool.
I was using summer tune since here in Florida is already over 80F during the day time. Sometimes it gets colder, like 45F, in the morning though. Do you think this was one of the problem?
Unleashed has said you should change the tune to winter in "50s".

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1518267&postcount=1236

Driving in 45 degree weather was not good. How much??? Who knows.... would it blow and engine? Dunno... I might be the first "Armchair Non-expert". Just passing along info... which does not really help you, unless you look to add a tune later on. All I ever read was that early tunes "messed up" engines (what "messed up" means, I have no idea.. I did not ask for further clarification).

I never liked the summer and winter tune idea... I'll leave that there.

OP
OP
hipporo

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
Look up the service engine. Its the reman longblock they use for warranty replacements. Actually really good prices and warranties. I THINK your part number would be FR3Z-6006-C
Thanks for the info. It looks like this is the one you are talking about. I am not sure if this is the same one my dealer was talking about. i will check with them tomorrow. The dealership told me that the engine will cost about $3,500 and about $2,500 for labor plus tax.

OP
OP
hipporo

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
Unleashed has said you should change the tune to winter in "50s".

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1518267&postcount=1236

Driving in 45 degree weather was not good. How much??? Who knows.... would it blow and engine? Dunno... I might be the first "Armchair Non-expert". Just passing along info... which does not really help you, unless you look to add a tune later on. All I ever read was that early tunes "messed up" engines (what "messed up" means, I have no idea.. I did not ask for further clarification).

I never liked the summer and winter tune idea... I'll leave that there.
Thanks for the info. I had no idea about the winter tune... I was just thinking that the winter tune was for the northern states... If I use the tune in the future, I will consider getting an all weather tune.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
You're the 2nd or third that blew using unleashed winter/summer time tunes in only a matter of a few months here. They are likely one of the most aggressive tunes i've heard of. Any tune that stipulates air temp being the deciding factor of its use would scare me without having another engine in the garage.
Sponsored