Sponsored

2018 mustang gt vs competition

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
My guess is on par with the Camaro, if not a smidge quicker.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
on an Alfa Romeo based chassis/body. If it is, it will probably weigh several hundred pounds less. It will probably run a V6 TT or a 6.4 that has been tweaked to 500 HP. (the Hellcat/Demons will keep the supercharged 6.2).

No one knows what will actually happen with the muscle wars right now. Camaro may surprise us with improvements too.
Like twin turbo said, this will be coming out in 2020 and it will be a force to be rekoned with. But I imagine the s650 will as well. For now the challenger will remain the same for the most part.

I really think that if ford plays it's cards right with the refresh it will compete well at the strip and track with both the camaro and a scat pack while maintaining the lowest price. I think the only thing that it will struggle to beat is a 1le.

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S & 2016 Shelby GT350R
what manual do you all think will be in the 18 GT?

Tweaked MT82? Ratios must've been changed
TR3160?
TR6060?

Both tremecs have double overdrives.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I believe it will have north of 470 horsepower and around 430 torque. If that is the case, it should be slightly faster than the Camaro. I don't think the Challenger stands a chance. :lol: If it comes out with 480 to 500 horsepower, it will definitely be class leading.
86 ft*lbs/liter sounds a bit optimistic. I'm thinking more like 410 - 415.

Norm

Sponsored

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
haha 455 is what it will be and it wont be that much faster then the 15-17s imo. people will be paying for the mag ride and the 10 speed thats it

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
haha 455 is what it will be and it wont be that much faster then the 15-17s imo. people will be paying for the mag ride and the 10 speed thats it
The 10 speed by itself ensures the new car will be notably faster in any direction. the mag ride ensures it will be faster around corners. Add in AT LEAST 20 more horses with comparable torque increase, and I think the new car will be a different animal.

Looking forward to seeing what the official numbers will be though. If it's 465-475, then it's pretty much a performance monster. At 455, it will be somewhat competitive, but still slower than the Camaro, which would be a shame.

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
The 10 speed by itself ensures the new car will be notably faster in any direction. the mag ride ensures it will be faster around corners. Add in AT LEAST 20 more horses with comparable torque increase, and I think the new car will be a different animal.

Looking forward to seeing what the official numbers will be though. If it's 465-475, then it's pretty much a performance monster. At 455, it will be somewhat competitive, but still slower than the Camaro, which would be a shame.
Well let's see if there's any weight loss but I highly doubted. The 5.0 really needs more torque than anything. 30 more HP, 40 lbs of torque then it will probably even things up. The Alpha chassis put the weight of the 1SS to 3600 lbs with a 1/4 tank of gas. So less weigh and torque is where the Camaro really has the edge.

Crossing my fingers for 475/430.. that may even things up if it didn't gain any extra weight.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The 5.0 really needs more torque than anything.
More gears in the transmission will most likely increase torque at the rear wheels - the only place that torque matters.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
With a larger bore and more compression there will be more torque..there's no question of it. The current coyote already has 400 ft lb's, so I'm guessing 420-425 tq is a good guess, with HP coming in at around 470 HP at 6,800 RPM.

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
With a larger bore and more compression there will be more torque..there's no question of it. The current coyote already has 400 ft lb's, so I'm guessing 420-425 tq is a good guess, with HP coming in at around 470 HP at 6,800 RPM.
Doesn't the gt350 with 5.2 lt and 12:1 compression ratio only has 426 lbft? Expecting more than that on a 5.0 lt is kinda stretching. Direct injection should help but we ll see.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Doesn't the gt350 with 5.2 lt and 12:1 compression ratio only has 426 lbft? Expecting more than that on a 5.0 lt is kinda stretching. Direct injection should help but we ll see.
It also is designed to continue making power to 8,000 RPM, so the cams are designed in such a way to facilitate that.

You can make more low end torque by sacrificing upper RPM power, or you can go the other way around. Given the way the GT350 was geared it was obviously intended to stay in a power band of around 5,000 RPM and over.

If the new 5.0 is only supposed to go to 7,400 it can get away with different cam profiles, along with the larger bore, compression and DI/PI to make more torque than the Voodoo down low and in the mid range in exchange for being say...50-60 HP less on the upper end.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd

You guys are starting to sound like the Gen 6 Camaro owners.

All of the things listed above will probably be good for a .5 (drag) to 1 (track) second difference over the current model. If additional weight is added, I wouldn't even expect that much.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
You guys are starting to sound like the Gen 6 Camaro owners.

All of the things listed above will probably be good for a .5 (drag) to 1 (track) second difference over the current model. If additional weight is added, I wouldn't even expect that much.
Actually it could be worth considerably more.

We won't know anything until we see power curves and such. Even if the torque jump is "only" 20 ft lbs at peak to peak (which is currently 4,200 RPM IIRC) there could be considerably more torque down low (lets just say..30 ft lbs) at 3,000 RPM. If it produces more torque down low it'll mean for harder launches, better 60 foot times, and overall better drag strip performance.

A pick up of 4 tenths in the quarter isn't unreasonable.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
455/410.

This is not a performance car first. The engine capability via Ford Performance Packs and aftermarket tuning will be great once the PFDI is figured out, but it will not be 470 stock. The compression ratio bump, the DI, all that stuff will be used for fuel economy first and stock performance second. There really is no business need for them to go higher and subject themselves to more warranty risk via the higher power. You'll likely see a higher redline (closer to the Boss) which will be the true performance enhancer and will have a greater effect than the small bump in torque or horsepower difference.

This car will likely be the true successor to the Boss (ignoring the GT350) with the optional exhaust and handling package, where as the Gen 1 S550 was promised to be but failed in stock form.

EDIT: True successor to the Boss in performance and character only, definitely not in looks :barf:
Sponsored