Sponsored

GT350 vs 2017 ZL1

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
They didn't run the 1LE, but I would say that this test shows that the Mustang basic interior/chassis/etc. is superior to the Camaro's. It also shows that the GT350 as well as base Mustangs are great buys.
I think you might be pushing it with the chassis category.
Ford is doing more with less, but the chassis is one of the pillars of the Camaro's strength.

The Mustang had always been a good value.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
I also am so amazed that Motor Trend said that the GT350R won as aren't they suppose to be Chevy Biased??
The uproar here would be hilarious if the roles were reversed. If the GT350 was faster and the ZL1 was picked the winner the chants of Chevy Trend would be never ending.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
The uproar here would be hilarious if the roles were reversed. If the GT350 was faster and the ZL1 was picked the winner the chants of Chevy Trend would be never ending.
You mean like the GT500 vs ZL1. :thumbsup:

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Ironic how it is on both sides. Which is why I wish MT would have had the balls to just declare a winner based off of solid figures like how the cars performed. Which one I liked better sounds more like a teenage girl trying to choose between two boys type of drama.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Every race Ive seen shows the ZL1 pulling away from the Hellcat?
The mustang might be a measly 3 years old buy the Zl1 beats the best mustang you can buy from ford right now?
How is this a fail? I dont see what the big deal is, The Camaro is a faster car for less money. Do i care? No I prefer my Gt350. If i wanted a faster car I would have gone with another Z06 but I have two kiddos now I like being able to take with with me.
The test showed the Camaro is softer and not as good in corners. Plus it feels more like an ordinary car if you are driving it on the streets. If GM wasn't trying to beat the GT350R at its own game, then it's fine.

I think it's a fail because they came out with a new model and it's basically a "me too" model. It doesn't decisively beat the competition that's been out for years. Rather than leap frog over Ford and Dodge, Chevy just put out another bland vehicle.

How are coming up with a 3 year platform. The gt350 came out almost exactly a year before the zl1. The zl1 beat a track focused car 200lbs lighter. Yes it has more hp and torque, but the voodoo is a race high redline engine made for the track. The win was more based on exhaust sound outside and inside. They said the zl1 felt more like a luxury car while the R felt like a race car with all the noise and vibrations. And I don't remember anyone saying the zl1 would smoke it. Most thought it would be close especially on a tight track.
I think there are 2015 GT350s and right now I believe you can order a 2018. If not, it's only a month or two away. That seems like three years. I've had mine for well over a year and a half.

The ZL1 is heavy and all that weight is in the wrong place to make it really good at the track. Poor design and a fail. GM should have put a lighter, better engine in the car rather than the push rod boat anchor they chose.

I read many Chivy guys on here saying the ZL-1 would smoke the GT350 and I actually bought into it. Turns out it's a driver's race between the two.

The 1LE has the exact same tires as the ZL1.
I stand corrected.
I thought the Camaro did very well considering the price point and in comparison to the price of the competition and what the competition does.

But isn't that exactly what you're doing. Camaro fanboys will call out a track where there was a wider advantage just like yu're talking about a track where the advantage wasn't as wide. Even on the small courses the ZL1 is going to have an advantage.

See I don't think it is inferior. I think they are both on the same level with the Camaro being the better performer for now. Every car on every track is gonna excel in some areas and not soo much in other areas. The goal sometimes is to have their strong points make up for their weak points. For example, saying the Camaro doesn't handle as well but makes up for it in brute speed is true. But that is also like saying the GT350R is underpowered but makes up for it in the corners. Same thing. And I don't really think it is a driver's race. I think the ZL1 is just faster. A good driver in a GT350 will beat a bad driver in a ZL1 and vice-versa. But with equal drivers I think the ZL1 will still come out on top.
The Camaro won't beat the Ford on the track and it won't beat the Dodge for absolute straight line power. Fail on both accounts.

I think you might be pushing it with the chassis category.
Ford is doing more with less, but the chassis is one of the pillars of the Camaro's strength.

The Mustang had always been a good value.
I believed the Camaro chassis might be really good until I saw this test. Now I don't think so anymore.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
The Camaro won't beat the Ford on the track and it won't beat the Dodge for absolute straight line power. Fail on both accounts.
Except the Camaro did beat the Ford on track.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The test showed the Camaro is softer and not as good in corners. Plus it feels more like an ordinary car if you are driving it on the streets. If GM wasn't trying to beat the GT350R at its own game, then it's fine.

I think it's a fail because they came out with a new model and it's basically a "me too" model. It doesn't decisively beat the competition that's been out for years. Rather than leap frog over Ford and Dodge, Chevy just put out another bland vehicle.

I think there are 2015 GT350s and right now I believe you can order a 2018. If not, it's only a month or two away. That seems like three years. I've had mine for well over a year and a half.

The ZL1 is heavy and all that weight is in the wrong place to make it really good at the track. Poor design and a fail. GM should have put a lighter, better engine in the car rather than the push rod boat anchor they chose.

I read many Chivy guys on here saying the ZL-1 would smoke the GT350 and I actually bought into it. Turns out it's a driver's race between the two.

I stand corrected.

I believed the Camaro chassis might be really good until I saw this test. Now I don't think so anymore.

The first gt350 sold to the public was end of October 2015, it is now end of May 2017, so that is 1 year 7 months old. Just because Ford made a special batch of 2015 the same time as 2016's, doesn't make it already a year old. The first zl1 was sold at the end of October 2016, so only a year apart. I would like to see where chevy guys said the zl1 would smoke the R. Most I've read thought the zl1 would win by a lot in a drag, but said it would be closeon the track. The results showed just that. The R is a stripped down race focused car going up against a fully loaded luxury sports car and got beat, how did GM fail?:shrug:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Except the Camaro did beat the Ford on track.
No, less than 1/2 a second is within the margin of error. The test showed it's a driver's race.

Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, less than 1/2 a second is within the margin of error. The test showed it's a driver's race.
Depends on who error? We already know the zl1 did that track in 1:26.16:cheers:

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
So the magical margin of error is up to half a second now? I mean, that dang margin of error just keeps growing and growing.

Khell86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt
The first gt350 sold to the public was end of October 2015, it is now end of May 2017, so that is 1 year 7 months old. Just because Ford made a special batch of 2015 the same time as 2016's, doesn't make it already a year old. The first zl1 was sold at the end of October 2016, so only a year apart. I would like to see where chevy guys said the zl1 would smoke the R. Most I've read thought the zl1 would win by a lot in a drag, but said it would be closeon the track. The results showed just that. The R is a stripped down race focused car going up against a fully loaded luxury sports car and got beat, how did GM fail?:shrug:
Did the GT350R have the Tech Pack? I haven't watched the video, but that's probably what Ford sent them. If thats the case, the only thing separating the GT350R and the ZL1 is a backseat.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did the GT350R have the Tech Pack? I haven't watched the video, but that's probably what Ford sent them. If thats the case, the only thing separating the GT350R and the ZL1 is a backseat.
You may want to check what comes with the zl1 stock and what comes in the tech package. :cheers:
Sponsored